New Here, Worried And Grateful For Advice..

Percy88

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys

I've been reading on this forum recently because for about the last two weeks ive noticed my hair doesn't seem to style like it used to- I usually rock a fringe and the sides seem to be a bit gappy!

I think its pretty obvious that im receding/going bald and to be honest I'm absolutely terrified. I'm almost 31 and always had a decent head of hair, although my hair line has always been a quite high I guess, or at the very least my temples have been higher back than my forehead, if that makes sense?

My dad is bald, apart from the sides/back but my older brother still has a full head of hair. I don't seem to shed any more now than have done in the past. There doesn't seem to be many, if any hairs on my pillow, I lose some in the shower 10-15 from what I can tell, same when I style but this has always been the case.

Anyway, I keep reading prevention is key and I was wondering what people recommend... Ive just ordered some Nizoral shampoo but id like to know what advice anyone could give in terms of other meds? I'm nervous for possible side effects, but Id hope I can handle them if it means stopping hair loss!

I'm in the UK and I've found an unbranded finasteride 1mg for £86 for 6 months supply, as opposed to £340 for Propecia. The online pharmacy says they are the same.

Ive attached some photos to give you an idea. Thanks

Attachments

• 20181016_225359.jpg
    20181016_225359.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 20181016_222833.jpg
    20181016_222833.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 20181016_225143.jpg
    20181016_225143.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 20181016_225251.jpg
    20181016_225251.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 217

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It does look like you’re thinning from the first pic imo. It’s always best to get checked it out with a professional or else you won’t know for sure until it’s too late. Some places even consult you for free (mine did). Anyways you’re 30 so it isn’t anything unusual. Finasteride is the best option since it’s the only thing on the market as of now that can actually halt the balding process. I’d check with a derm first before starting any treatment, but you also seem to be a good hair transplant candidate if it’s affordable.

TheMechanic

My Regimen
Reaction score
First, I’d say props to you for making it to 30 with that amount of hair loss; I would say I’m around the same, if not a bit worse (I have more thinning, recession, and I’m only 26).
Nizoral is one if the three primary treatments sufferers generally use ( I used it until I left my bottle in a hotel bathroom), and it basically reduces scalp inflammation.
It’s a good start. I would say if you want to hit your alopecia harder, get some topical foam minoxidil; the side effects aren’t nearly as spooky as Finasteride, and it’s simple to use. I just apply the foam to my thinning areas once a day, at night before bed, so I don’t have to worry about greasiness.
Finasteride tends to be the big scary one, and generally the last resort that people use, due to its spooky side effects. I got mine from Keeps, through their Instagram campaign. I don’t think I’ve been on a Finasteride long enough to see results, but I think at the very least, my hair loss has slowed.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would like to also add I’ve been using nizoral 1% also, but have no clue if it’s working or not. It only has been 3-4 weeks but I have my doubts. My scalp still flakes and hair still continues to thin and shed. I’m sure it can’t hurt though (although it does contain sulfates). Just don’t expect much from a shampoo alone.

Best options are- finasteride or an anti androgen.
U can use minoxidil with these too, but keep in mind it just covers up hair loss and doesn’t stop it from progressing at all. I’ve heard LLLT works too and have been trying it for a few months now. My hairline has receded slower and stopped completely on the right side thanks to it. Thinning on vertex is still progressing tho.

Percy88

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the replies! Looking at pictures fron around 7 years ago I do have a bit of hair loss on top as shows in this picture, and I do remember freaking out when I was probably about 18 because I could see my scalp. Its hard to see how much it has progressed over the years because I don't have many photos showing that part of my head. But if you're confident its thinning then I shall do as you suggest and start with, and order some minoxidil foam, I believe its call 'Regain' here in the UK.

I haven't seached myself yet but out of interest can I get it in an oral form and does it still have the same desired effect?
Thanks

Percy88

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just re-reading your comments, and you have mentioned about seeking professional advice, I don't suppose anyone has any experience with this in the UK? I'm not sure how doctors on the NHS would view booking an appointment for this sort of thing. Should I just go private? Thanks again.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are thinning man.do you have dense body hair like chest hair or on arm hairs? If so then chances are good that your hairloss will continue BC body hair reflects head hair fate.if you are more of it you could be bald in later life.but it is also good indicator that hairloss drug will work for you. People with lots of body hair responds to hairloss treatment drug very well.best luck and take proactive approach.

Percy88

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what dosage of finasteride to use? Ive found a 6 month supply on an Oxford online pharmacy. I've read that you shouldn't change brand once you've started, looks as though the brand is accord. Its almost £200 cheaper than Propecia. I'm still debating whether to take it. Thanks

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 mg finasteride per day. Dr Fox is another site where it is reasonably priced.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you post a wet hair photo? I’m curious if your hair is hiding more thinning.

Finasteride should work great for you, your age responds best to it according to the Rossi study

Percy88

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay heres the picture you asked for... And it's scared me! I was going to see my sister next week who is a hair dresser, and cuts my hair. I figured shes the one who sees my head the most apart from me, so I wondered what she thought. But now I'm thinking just get the meds pronto?

I should add that at the end of July I had a pretty stressful time, I'm not in denial but at that point I wasn't aware of any changes to my hair.. any contribution?

I'm a little concerned still of the side effects of finasteride, mostly growing moobs.. are they pretty rare? I was wondering if halving the dose would suffice? Or should I just go for the full 1mg?

For the past 2 weeks I've been using a alpecin shampoo on and off, and thinking about it in yhat time ive had an outbreak of spots on my face, do these shampoos actually help at all as advertised?

My final question is again is it possible to take minoxidil in tablet form? And if so, where can I get this?

Thanks again in advanced

Attachments

• 20181018_145446.jpg
    20181018_145446.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 143

Percy88

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
another question, I probably shed less than 100 hairs a day, is this normal? people describe alot of shedding on finasteride, does this mean that I will potentially lose what I have now before it steadying itself out? meaning I will look even more thin on top?

GreekGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
another question, I probably shed less than 100 hairs a day, is this normal? people describe alot of shedding on finasteride, does this mean that I will potentially lose what I have now before it steadying itself out? meaning I will look even more thin on top?
Shedding less than 100 a day is totally normal. I had no shedding when starting finasteride and even if you end up having shedding the hair will always come back thicker. Finasteride never accelerated male pattern baldness in any of the clinical trials. Your very minor form of top thinning at 31 suggests that your male pattern baldness is very weak and shouldnt be that hard to treat. Good Luck