New Here - Sudden Thinning Of Hair, Hope To Get Good Advice

bamaguy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new here and I'm hoping I can get some good advice. I'm 51 years old and have always had VERY thick and full hair with little to no recession. This to the point of people commenting on how crazy thick my hair is. There is not a lot of history of hair loss in my family. My father never lost any hair, and both of my brothers (older) still have full heads of hair as well. However, I and my father did gray quite prematurely.

Recently (perhaps a little bit over the last year, but the last couple of months more noticeably) I have noticed an overall thinning of my head hair and the ends of my eyebrows have thinned as well - not very much recession but more just overall thinning. I have done some internet research, but not quite sure what to make of it all.

I had my most recent annual bloodwork done about two weeks ago. Thyroid function appears to be normal. However, my testosterone was low and my estradiol was high. I suspect the elevated estradiol and low testosterone (despite being on a compounded testosterone cream) could be caused by excessive alcohol consumption in recent years. Also, my doctor switched me from Crestor to Lipitor last November and I recently found out that Lipitor has been reported as causing hair loss. Since my cholesterol numbers are now quite excellent, I stopped the Lipitor about two weeks ago.

1. Has anyone else heard about Lipitor and hair loss? Could this be the primary factor? How long after stopping the Lipitor while I see a difference?
2. I have read that elevated estradiol/estrogen in the blood with men can lead to elevated levels of DHT and cause hair loss. Anyone else hear this?
3. Any other ideas and does anyone know if these conditions are reversible?

Thank you in advance for your input.