New hair system out of box photos, is thin spot normal?

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, just took a new custom system out of box, and a little concerned at what I'm seeing. I ordered a customized Ares, and I changed the density from 95 to 130.

Looking at it, it looks really thin on what I believe is the crown area, and a couple areas don't look too dense. I understand that the hair is tied up and it stretches to point that it looks thin on certain areas. I'm just finding it hard to believe that the density is a 130.
I will probably take to stylist and see what they think, and may send back if necessary. I attached a few photos, and advice and feedback are greatly appreciated

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not able to post photos at this time, will post when this feature begins working again

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Likely the effects of the crown as Bald Bearded says.

Its also a bit misleading to hold a piece up to the light and judge the density versus on the head. In situ it can look fuller.

Finally, there is no universal density scale so one companys 80% could be another's 130% - if you have ordered before from same place then you and use that as a yardstick for density.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Likely the effects of the crown as Bald Bearded says.

Its also a bit misleading to hold a piece up to the light and judge the density versus on the head. In situ it can look fuller.

Finally, there is no universal density scale so one companys 80% could be another's 130% - if you have ordered before from same place then you and use that as a yardstick for density.
Yes it's definitely the crown area, and I'm aware that this area will look thinner, but it looks to be thinner than normal....it's just difficult to tell when the hair is tied up and it's being pulled apart from that area so tightly. Probably nothing, just hadn't noticed it before I suppose with previous units.

And unfortunately I'm unable to upload photos on here currently, I think some type of issue right now, I saw on another thread a couple of members were having similar problems.

As far as density, I had ordered a 95 density from lavivid in the past, and this is a 130, so hopefully it'll be more dense.

Thanks for your reply, I feel a bit better, hopefully it'll be okay. Worse case I'll just send back

Last edited:

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, we would need photos to really see. Just be careful about what you do with the hair system so you can make sure you can return it for a full refund if you're not satisfied.

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
130% might be too much for French Lace to handle since their stock piece is only 95% density. I think they might try to ventilate less hair onto the base. It is hard to say without seeing the piece, to be honest with you. Have you tried to reach out to them to see what they say ?

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got just one to upload, not the best one but u can blow it up. The photos that kind of display how thin it actually looks didn't upload.
It looks pretty normal it think, I'm just going to have to roll with it bc they don't take back custom units but they will add more hair to it if I send it to California

Attachments

• 20220103_224032.jpg
    20220103_224032.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
130% might be too much for French Lace to handle since their stock piece is only 95% density. I think they might try to ventilate less hair onto the base. It is hard to say without seeing the piece, to be honest with you. Have you tried to reach out to them to see what they say ?
I'm wondering if this is why the poly portion in the back is much larger, to hold more hair.
I did reach out to lavivid, they won't allow a return on a custom order but they will add more hair to it.
I think it should be good after taking it out of net and examining it further.

I am a bit concerned about so much more poly than the stock Ares, may be hot.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you can try to take it out of the box and comb the hair to really see the hair density and bald spots. How is the hairline at the front ?

JonathanHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just asked my friend for his thoughts (he knows way more about hair systems than me) and he actually said the French lace in your picture seems a bit shinier than it should be... May have to double check if it actually is French lace. As for the crown area, it does look a bit thin but I think it'll look better once you've actually put it on and styled it.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you can try to take it out of the box and comb the hair to really see the hair density and bald spots. How is the hairline at the front ?
Yea I'll try it. Not sure about front yet. It looks thinner than I'd like for what they claim is a 130 density, and the poly portion is clearly larger than the stock Ares. I think it's a mess up on their part in terms of poly and density, and Lavivid customer support honest has not been great. They tell me I cannot return it for a refund bc it's custom, and only option is to send to California to add more hair which will take another 2 months. After waiting 3 months for this one I'm just going to have to make it work and this will be the last time I use Lavivid bc I think the quality has gone down quite a bit.
Just asked my friend for his thoughts (he knows way more about hair systems than me) and he actually said the French lace in your picture seems a bit shinier than it should be... May have to double check if it actually is French lace. As for the crown area, it does look a bit thin but I think it'll look better once you've actually put it on and styled it.
Yes, I am not sure if it's true French lace. At this point I don't even care, and yes it looks thin to me but I have no choice but to make the best of it since they will not take it back

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no "right" answer to this. Personally I would be more comfortable walking around with excessively dense hair than visible knots. If there's an issue with your piece it's that the knots are unbleached IMO.