New Hair Institute Smp Vs His Smp/fue

Buzzed Lightyear

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

I did a quick search after joining but I was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any first hand, or second hand, information on the SMP at New Hair Institute?

I know Dr. Pak is highly respected in the transplant community, but there is not much out there on them for their SMP. The cost of SMP there is significantly higher than other places, and I honestly can't seem to figure out why. During my phone consult with Dr. Pak, I also was unable to figure out the cost discrepancy. I am in no way trying to shop this procedure by price, but I need to find more real life reviews/results from them before spending $8,000.

You always see reviews from the cheap pop-up clinics, but never from the $8k+ jobs from respected clinics.

I am also trying to weigh that cost for a strait SMP against a SMP and FUE combination like at HIS.

For what it is worth I'm a clean buzzed NW6.

Does anyone have anything to share with me?

Thanks!

Last edited:

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

I did a quick search after joining but I was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any first hand, or second hand, information on the SMP at New Hair Institute?

I know Dr. Pak is highly respected in the transplant community, but there is not much out there on them for their SMP. The cost of SMP there is significantly higher than other places, and I honestly can't seem to figure out why. During my phone consult with Dr. Pak, I also was unable to figure out the cost discrepancy. I am in no way trying to shop this procedure by price, but I need to find more real life reviews/results from them before spending $8,000.

I am also trying to weigh that cost for a strait SMP against a SMP and FUE combination like at HIS.

For what it is worth I'm a clean buzzed NW6.

Does anyone have anything to share with me?

Thanks!

For the record, I've never seen an SMP that looked natural (and I've seen a lot) and by the time you go through multiple SMP sessions you will have racked up 3/4 of the cost of getting a transplant with a good doctor.

Genuinely, people with SMP remind me of body builders on copius amounts of synthol and steroids, they look like freaks with body dysmorphia. It looks terrible and people notice. Do you really want to look like that the rest of your life? It doesn't look like hair at all, you're not going to fool anyone.

You'd be 100% better off just going the transplant route if your donor area can handle it. The world doesn't need more freaks with tattoos on their heads, don't do it. It looks even worse in person, I have a friend who did one and I feel so bad for him I want to cry.

Buzzed Lightyear

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. See, that's the thing. I've never seen one in person. I read a lot of negative things about the fly-by-night clinics, but I never really read anything about the $8k+ jobs done at more respected clinics.

I wish I had the donor for a FUE. I'm a NW6 with naturally thin hair, so even my donor area doesn't have much coverage.

Originally I wanted to just do a BHT from my thighs, and then keep my buzzed/shaved look, but everything I read says that's also a no-go.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. See, that's the thing. I've never seen one in person. I read a lot of negative things about the fly-by-night clinics, but I never really read anything about the $8k+ jobs done at more respected clinics.

I wish I had the donor for a FUE. I'm a NW6 with naturally thin hair, so even my donor area doesn't have much coverage.

Originally I wanted to just do a BHT from my thighs, and then keep my buzzed/shaved look, but everything I read says that's also a no-go.

I'd get a surgeon to check your donor area for hair thickness and density to see what their opinion is. If you used a mixture of beard hair and grafts from the donor zone you could likely get a good result. Not sure what other peoples opinions on the matter are but I'd certainly suggest that a smart transplant job even on a Norwood 6 will be better than a SMP, but more expensive if venturing into beard and body hair. The problem with SMP is that its still ridiculously expensive and it doesn't really pass the test of making someone think you have hair, even if it frames your face a little better.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely find someone who has had SMP so you can take a look in person.

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely find someone who has had SMP so you can take a look in person.
I've heard that a good FUE in conjunction with SMP is the only way to get a SMP. And a light SMP, at that.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard that a good FUE in conjunction with SMP is the only way to get a SMP. And a light SMP, at that.

At which point you've spent 15 grand and may as well have just got transplants. Even for a Norwood 6 I'd put SMP as a last resort, and consider that for 95% of SMP results you'd be better bald. Do you really want to deal with that 2D fake hair tattoo for the rest of your life?

Also even the "permanent" procedures need a touch up ever 5 years or so. So that's 2 or 3 procedures minimum at over 10 grand total, and another 3 grand or so for a touch up every five years. For a procedure that looks like total sh*t.

Last edited:

Buzzed Lightyear

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just feel that the hair transplant options out there look just as bad. You always see the worst hair styles having to be used to support it. I look good with a shaved head. I just can't stand the horseshoe anymore. I'll never have hair like Beckham, but I just don't want to look "bald" anymore.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just feel that the hair transplant options out there look just as bad. You always see the worst hair styles having to be used to support it. I look good with a shaved head. I just can't stand the horseshoe anymore. I'll never have hair like Beckham, but I just don't want to look "bald" anymore.

Have you seen what is achieved by some like Joe Tillman through use of FUT surgery as a norwood 6?

Last edited:

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have anything to contribute?

Yeah, what every you do stay away from Umar in Southern California. He is a world renowned hair transplant surgeon who will take your money and make you look worse. All the things you read and hear about bad hair transplant surgeons he does and more.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had smp done at his in la..looks ok for a while then you get fading from sun exposure and such.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Injecting ink into your head is very risky. Ink from tattoos slowly migrate to the lymph nodes and this takes years. With the disappearing ink the process is sped up. We know of at least one person who works in the hair transplant industry that attributes his relapse in cancer to his head hair tattoo and the relapse ended up in his brain.

There are also other accounts of body tattoo ink ending up in the lymph nodes and some diagnosed with cancer believing that it has something to do with it. Just shave your head and be healthy. Humans are attracted to others that are healthy and cancer is the polar opposite.

Anyone can setup a tattoo business as an LLC and when the sh*t hits the fan simply declare bankruptcy. You have absolutely no recourse should anything go wrong. Not worth the risk plus in my opinion it looks ridiculous.

Lymph nodes with tattoo ink embedded in it. This forum seems to be part of a health network I don’t really know yet as I don’t have enough information. If it is then this message will be very welcome.

lymph%20node%20with%20ink_zpsrhsq8cbl.jpg

b5000

Reaction score
I went to an open house at New Hair Institute in 2016, I think, and saw a patient who had had micropigmentation and he looked ridiculous. But, a patient of the clinic next to me commented that he thought the patient looked great. The open houses were (and possibly still are) held periodically, perhaps once a month, and a lot of prior patients go and talk about their experience along with people like me considering treatment.