New guy here!! Help needed!

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to turn 24 in like a week and I think I've been losing my hair for maybe the past 1-2 yrs but at a very slow rate. Within the past 6-8 months the hairloss has accelerated with lots of thinning in the frontal area and receding hairline. I didn't think associate this with male pattern baldness (denial?) until a co-worker of mine told me a couple of days ago "You're losing your hair" LOL...ok well he did me a HUGE favor because I think if I can keep the hair I have now I will still look like a normal guy.

I wanted to ask you guys, what treatments would you recommend. I've been to my general physician, but he didn't really confirm the male pattern baldness diagnosis, rather he just prescribed me Propecia. I am going to see a dermatologist in a few weeks because I want make sure I have male pattern baldness before I start Propecia. Do you guys think 2 weeks will set me back a lot?
Also, I am discontinuing some of the GNC supplements that I have been taking the past few years as I feel they may have accelerated my hair loss. Things like glutamine, protein shakes, creatine etc

Will post pictures soon!

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
You've already been losing for 1-2 years as you have stated. I don't think waiting 2 more weeks would hurt at all. If you do have male pattern baldness then I would get on finasteride, Nizoral shampoo, and Minoxadil (if you really need it).

goodluck

G

i've heard that creatine can acelerate hair loss but i can tell you that there is no way that a protein shake is responsible for your hair loss. in fact, proteni is essential for maintaining healthy hair.

bubka

Reaction score
Hawaii male said:
You've already been losing for 1-2 years as you have stated. I don't think waiting 2 more weeks would hurt at all. If you do have male pattern baldness then I would get on finasteride, Nizoral shampoo, and Minoxadil (if you really need it).

goodluck
ditto, and quit taking all that GNC crap, take a mens multi and eat healthy

G

bubka said:
Hawaii male said:

goodluck

well protein is essential for building muscle, and last i checked, multivitamins didn't include protein. Protein powder and protein shakes will not induce hair loss. There is some speculation that creatine can but not protein.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
You sound a lot like me except that I am 28 now. I started noticing some slow loss around 26 and then within the past year it has really accelerated. I took creatine for a while but I don't really think that had anything to do with it b/c I've been off it for months and my hair is still falling out.

If you have a family history of male pattern baldness I would definitely get on Propecia (finasteride). I wish I had done that first instead of getting on minoxidil which scared the jeepers out of me from the shedding.

bubka

Reaction score
JayMan said:
bubka said:
Hawaii male said:

goodluck

well protein is essential for building muscle, and last i checked, multivitamins didn't include protein. Protein powder and protein shakes will not induce hair loss. There is some speculation that creatine can but not protein.
NEWSFLASH: unless the guy is a VEGAN, almost nobody in westernized countries has a protein deficiency

"protien" shakes is a generic term anyways...

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH: unless the guy is a VEGAN, almost nobody in westernized countries has a protein deficiency

True. But people take protein shakes to make sure they have enough protein to grow muscle when working out. I do and I notice a difference.

G

bubka said:
JayMan said:
bubka said:
Hawaii male said:

goodluck

"protien" shakes is a generic term anyways...

I realize that bubka, but if he was taking all that stuff then maybe he was lifting weights and to add muscle sometimes you have to take it 4 to 5 times the daily recommended dosage of protein. When I was working out i would regularly take in 200 grams of protein a day.

so no newsflash for me

bubka

Reaction score
yeah, but body building also shows it increases the risk of hair loss

hey, i used to be a protein shake / creatine taking meat head in high school, i know all about it... i look back and wonder if it set off my male pattern baldness early... i don't know

G

bubka said:
yeah, but body building also shows it increases the risk of hair loss

hey, i used to be a protein shake / creatine taking meat head in high school, i know all about it... i look back and wonder if it set off my male pattern baldness early... i don't know

Studies have shown that weight training exercises by men can increase serum testosterone levels by up to 40%. However, this increase is only temporary and serum testosterone levels drop back within a few hours of completing the exercise.

These brief increases in testosterone concentration with short term exercise are unlikely to have a significant effect on pattern baldness.

Forgot to add that I got this from Dr. Lee

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
shh5455, I looked at ur pics and they look very similar to my style of balding... NW2 with diffuse thinning esp in the front part of the scalp...I was wondering how the propecia + minoxidil has been working for u??

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
why did my thread get moved to this section...

are u guys trying to tell me sumthin lol