New Anti-Aging topicals to help stop hair loss?

kokles

Reaction score
I've been really fascinated by the relatively new research done on either
- activating telomerase enzyme to help lengthen telomeres (and therefore theoretically slow, stop or reverse aging)
- developing ground-breaking anti-oxidants which can help prevent oxidative stress

Now the whole anti-aging scene is full of non-sensical approaches and many many quacks (sounds like the hair-loss scene doesn't it?) but two names absolutely stand out of the crowd.

1. Bill Andrews Ph.D (William H.Andrews) - is a scientist who led a team which later discovered the fabled Telomerase gene (people from the team received the nobel prize - most notably Elizabeth Blackburn).

At present he spends time doing a "brute-force" research of trying immense databases of chemicals to check which one is able to activate the telomerase gene which can lengthen the telomeres and thus make the cells young again. His company website (Sierra Sciences) says this:

259,474 Synthetic Compounds, 898 Hits
11,469 Natural Extracts, 840 Hits

these numbers are probably not up to date but they already had over 1700 hits - this means number of chemicals that activate to a certain degree the telomerase gene.

One of such "hits" (probably the strongest one) just landed in a licensed topical product from this website http://www.1truth.com.au/dr-bill-andrews/

Note - he was featured in a few documentaries (The Immortalists is the latest one - hopefully it will be available soon through VOD)

BBC Documentary:
[video=youtube;IzinjLhZXpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzinjLhZXpA[/video]

2. Vladimir P.Skulachev Ph.d (list of degrees to long to be honest) - a successful researcher known for "mitochondrial electricity" and "Skulachev Ions"

At presents his company SKQ Projects works on applications of a very special "mitochorndria targeted" anti-oxidant - first they developed eye drops for dry eye syndrome and then a topical is comming out called "Mitovitan" - can be seen on his company website in Russian language (english version does not have it) http://skq-project.ru/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etN_eulLO1I

Now if you do some searching here and there - especially the approach of lengthening the telomeres makes alot of sense - in 2012 they had genetically engineered mice to have very low levels of telomerase and then they re-activated the telomerase gene in them and suddenly the old ones were young again (notice their hair grew back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnRnqKRKlIc

Ok I know, I know.. mice are different to human.. they age differently and probably also loose their hair differently too (DHT?) - but what if anything that slows aging can also have an effect on our hair? What do you think? Does it make at least some sense?

PS: There's tons of other materials on both of the researchers out there (Bill Andrews has a MLM Isagenix company connected to him so that's probably not that great of news for his credibility but maybe it's not that bad considering he's really legit)

kokles

Reaction score
I don't know and honestly at this moment I don't care (Mitovitan will be probably cheaper as it's a russian product) .

I'd like if we could ponder this issue if anything that helps stop cell aging can have an effect on hair-loss. So far my own personal internet research comes up quite short - I'd love to say that this could be a bomb for hair-loss as there, at least for me seems a link between age and hair-loss - this means I don't believe that hair-loss is linear and that aging cells enhance the effects of DHT on hair. If we could make the cells that make up skin/hair follicles and etc younger, maybe we can make them resistant to changes done by DHT.

If Mice could get their hair back, maybe we can really at least stop the DHT.

kokles

Reaction score
Harold, what are you talking about? Stay on the topic please (mitochondrial super anti-oxidants and telomerase inducers)

drgs

Banned
Reaction score
Milk Thistle (Silymarin)
Grape Seed Extract (tannis, Procyanidin, Pine Bark Extract, etc)
Tumeric Root (Curcumin)
Ginseng
Blueberry Fruit extract (ptereostibene)
Green Tea extract
Quercetin

kokles

Reaction score
Milk Thistle (Silymarin)
Grape Seed Extract (tannis, Procyanidin, Pine Bark Extract, etc)
Tumeric Root (Curcumin)
Ginseng
Blueberry Fruit extract (ptereostibene)
Green Tea extract
Quercetin

That looks like the ingredients in the cheesy "all-natural" Product B from Isagenix - for some very good reasons we should not talk about this product here as it's a MLM company we're talking about. And we know the evil of MLM.

The TAM-818 sounds like a much more interesting thing.

beholder

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I have been using Silymarin tea (along with about 5 other mostly antioxidant herbs incl. Chanca Piedra) almost daily for about a year for unrelated [gallbladder] condition and it is a prime suspect along with aspirin and lecithin for stopping my shedding.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
I had some progress since I started to inject Epitalon which is a telomerase activator, I'm pretty sure it's part of my success. It make sense that it helps because when you lose hairs, the cells of your dermal papilla go into senescence as a results of DHT, and a telomerase activator helps to protect/reverse senescence.

However, this shouldn't work without blocking the oxidative stress caused by DHT in the dermal papilla. The most effective one are the 5-alpha reductase such as finasteride, they works so much better than anything else because each pills block almost all DHT for days instead of acting within a couple of hours only. I don't see any antioxidant that could protect against the oxidative stress of DHT for days, if such things could exists.