Never to a monofilament system? Think again!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Due to the current lack of supply, especially for lace, I have had a number of clients switch. to welded monofilament.

So far all of them are happy with the results and are getting more longevity out of the systems.

The bottom line, if you don't need a visible hairline, and you require a system that is "ventilated", this is a really good option.

There are a lot of these still available, either full mono or mono/skin hybrids.

No one has yet claimed they are any more uncomfortable than French Lace. And you use the same tape/liquid adhesives to bond.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Are they cheaper? I understand they are more durable than lace, but the hair will die and fall out anyway, so what does it matter, if the base is forever lasting?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good idea, I might well try a monofilament hair system. Are they making custom orders with this type of base?

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are they cheaper? I understand they are more durable than lace, but the hair will die and fall out anyway, so what does it matter, if the base is forever lasting?
Hair is already dead. They last longer because they're most resistant to fraying and the knots hold better, which reduces shedding.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I rarely see mono as custom hair systems. But I do for stock.
Probably more detectable?,but unsure...

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a THICK poly surround non-fine mono unit. It's very dense so I barely wear it, but it's epic. I'd love to try the type of Mono which doesn't require poly/other base edges - like "fine-weilded mono" - as even the worst mono is strikingly impressive.

I'm love to try an all mono unit w/ single knotted hairs in the front, if such a thing exists.

Mono is not bad in the least; in fact, I think it's superior in almost every way to other base types - but I've never tried a "high end" mono piece - a piece w/ a at least small knots at the hairline.

I've a french lace unit right now, whose knots are double+ everywhere. It looks awful - as fake as it gets. I don't think base type matters as much as how the front of the base is addressed!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
BTW, cleaning the above-mentioned unit is as easy as it gets. Drench in C22, baby oil, if fully bonded. Whatever form of Mono I have is untearable, so it's even easier to clean than UTS. Mirror sliding etc doesn't seem to harm its ultra knots!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I rarely see mono as custom hair systems. But I do for stock.
Probably more detectable?,but unsure...
You are correct in both instances. Not sure why about the custom, though.

As for detectability, it all depends on the hairstyle. But even then... I have a client with a fully exposed hairline, and it's a mono system... and it looks brilliant on him.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So are they breathable? And water goes thru?
Yes, absolutely!

Here, two different hair systems, one Mono, and the other French Lace. The color of the bases in the pic are slightly different, but you can see they are similar.

Attachments

• MONO.jpg
    MONO.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 110
  • FL.jpg
    FL.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 122

Luca82

My Regimen
Reaction score
And they are cheaper than lace right?
Maybe as my first system they would be a good choice

Fanjeera

Reaction score
So what's the difference in the material between lace and monofilament? They actually look similar. They are both like a mesh.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is mono thicker than lace then? Does it have visible knots like lace, and can they be bleached?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve had a mono system and honestly it was pretty dang good. I even had a fully exposed hairline and while it’s not AS undetectable as lace it’s pretty close.

The mono is a thicker more durable material that is similar. It does feel slightly heavier on your head.

I honestly never understood why more people don’t use them especially now.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve had a mono system and honestly it was pretty dang good. I even had a fully exposed hairline and while it’s not AS undetectable as lace it’s pretty close.

The mono is a thicker more durable material that is similar. It does feel slightly heavier on your head.

I honestly never understood why more people don’t use them especially now.

How many months did it last?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
And they are cheaper than lace right?
Maybe as my first system they would be a good choice
No, they would probably be the same price, more or less. The costs of a hair system are in the knotting/labor it takes to make it.