Never in my wildest dreams! (hi-rez pics w/ bounced flash)

Growthspurt

Reaction score
I was a textbook guy with hairloss. It started 4 years ago with wise cracks from my dad. I just ignored him and since I never used a mirror to look at the back of my head I never saw the male pattern baldness coming. Then 3 years ago I noticed that my hair was losing its density and wouldn't stand up with gel like it used to. But once again I remained ignorant to the hairloss. 2 years ago the thinness started becoming apparent. This effected my self esteem so I buzzed my head with a #3 thinking in my ignorance than the short hair would disguise the hairloss. Instead, it made it more apparent. My stylist was shocked when she shaved it off and said "You're losing your hair!" This really struck me. I grew my hair out longer and tried not to think about it, hoping the problem would go away. A year later I finally decided that I would need to permanately keep my hair buzzed, so I invested in clippers and began shaving with a #2. I felt a little better about myself but had to endure people's comments about my haircut and my hairloss. Pretty soon a #2 was not enough to hide the hairloss so I had to switch to a #1. I found myself constantly looking at guys' hair and examining their situation. Sometimes comparing it to mine, sometimes envious.
The turning point came when I realized I was losing my confidence with girls. I would try to avoid situations where they could see the back of my head. My insecurity was also holding me back from being who I really was. I searched the web. I considered a transplant and even booked an evaluation appointment but backed out at the last second. Eventually I found this website. If there's one thing I recommend to the admin of this site: find some way to have this site surface to the top for any hairloss keywords--more men need to find this site! After pouring over the discussions in this forum I was ready to take the plunge! I started the big 3!
I was very impatient. I took a lot of pictures. I would zoom in and study each strand. I realize now how important those pictures were. At 2 months I was ready to quit my treatments. To me there was no noticable difference. But from the photos I could see that tiny hairs were sprouting up. After 3 months I decided that if I could get some decent coverage I would start growing my hair out for the first time in a long time! Now here I am after 5 months and my confidence is soaring. I bought a tube of gel! I almost forgot how much fun it was to style my hair! Guys are coming up to me and saying "You need to tell me what you're taking!"
I've got a hi-rez and low-rez version of my pics. You might want to download the hi-rez to see it in full detail.

Enjoy and let me know what you think! :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dime2times/UntitledAlbum

RaginDemon

Reaction score
unbelievablly great result.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Those are awesome results, can barely believe the speed of it!
How old are you?
What treatments did you use? :hairy:

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow. One of the most amazing comebacks I've seen! It was pretty far gone at the beginning. Lucky you managed to keep your hairline too. Thanks for coming back and telling your story mate. Now just don't get lazy with your regimen :)

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats mate! :punk: It seems that guys with dark hair always have the best progress - ala the propecia trial pics :( Could you go over your entire routine? Also are you sure your loss was due to genetics - do you have bald folks on either side of your family? How much did you shed during treatment and did shedding ever go down?

Growthspurt said:
I was a textbook guy with hairloss. It started 4 years ago with wise cracks from my dad. I just ignored him and since I never used a mirror to look at the back of my head I never saw the male pattern baldness coming. Then 3 years ago I noticed that my hair was losing its density and wouldn't stand up with gel like it used to. But once again I remained ignorant to the hairloss. 2 years ago the thinness started becoming apparent. This effected my self esteem so I buzzed my head with a #3 thinking in my ignorance than the short hair would disguise the hairloss. Instead, it made it more apparent. My stylist was shocked when she shaved it off and said "You're losing your hair!" This really struck me. I grew my hair out longer and tried not to think about it, hoping the problem would go away. A year later I finally decided that I would need to permanately keep my hair buzzed, so I invested in clippers and began shaving with a #2. I felt a little better about myself but had to endure people's comments about my haircut and my hairloss. Pretty soon a #2 was not enough to hide the hairloss so I had to switch to a #1. I found myself constantly looking at guys' hair and examining their situation. Sometimes comparing it to mine, sometimes envious.
The turning point came when I realized I was losing my confidence with girls. I would try to avoid situations where they could see the back of my head. My insecurity was also holding me back from being who I really was. I searched the web. I considered a transplant and even booked an evaluation appointment but backed out at the last second. Eventually I found this website. If there's one thing I recommend to the admin of this site: find some way to have this site surface to the top for any hairloss keywords--more men need to find this site! After pouring over the discussions in this forum I was ready to take the plunge! I started the big 3!
I was very impatient. I took a lot of pictures. I would zoom in and study each strand. I realize now how important those pictures were. At 2 months I was ready to quit my treatments. To me there was no noticable difference. But from the photos I could see that tiny hairs were sprouting up. After 3 months I decided that if I could get some decent coverage I would start growing my hair out for the first time in a long time! Now here I am after 5 months and my confidence is soaring. I bought a tube of gel! I almost forgot how much fun it was to style my hair! Guys are coming up to me and saying "You need to tell me what you're taking!"
I've got a hi-rez and low-rez version of my pics. You might want to download the hi-rez to see it in full detail.

Enjoy and let me know what you think! :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dime2times/UntitledAlbum

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, you lucky git. You are fortunate to have a great hairline.

I on the other hand don't. What treatments are you using?

Growthspurt

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to try to answer all of your questions.

First of all, I'm 29 years old and my father is bald, and from what I hear so was my grandfather on my mother's side. My regimine is Rogaine foam twice a day--morning and evening. Propecia 1mg daily--morning. Nizoral 2% shampoo twice a week. The big 3, and I try to stay as faithful to this regimine as possible.

I tried to look for shedding right from the start, but I'll be honest I didn't see any. Maybe because I shaved my head with a #1 and my hairs were so small to begin with. If it did happen I didn't notice it.

I experienced no side effects from the Propecia, Rogaine, or Nizoral 2%.

Here's some minor details about how I started this regimine, maybe it played a role in the growth of my hair, maybe it didn't--just thought I'd share. I started out thinking that I could get results with Propecia alone, so for a month that's all I took. Then I added Nizoral 1% to my regimine. I actually didn't realize it was only 1% until I checked. About 2 weeks later I upgraded to 2%. Then I added the rogaine foam to the regimine. I didn't want to touch the foam with my hands at first. I knew it melted quick and it made my hands tinglely. So I bought a toenail brush, put the foam on the bristles, and really tried to work it in. After a couple weeks of that I just started using my fingers. I am very liberal with the foam. I use a lot more then the suggested amount. I go through more cans that way, but it's worth it!

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
WOW WOW WOW...
OMG, look at the 5th month. It's JUST AWESOME!!! :firing:

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard there's not much between 1% and 2% nizoral. Where did you get your 2% from?

How many cans of foam do you get through a month mate?

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
the hair regrowth came from the Rogaine, the propecia just helps you maintain the hair you grew from the regrown. I heard once you stop using Rogaine dont stop using propecia because the propecia helps maintain that hair you grew back with rogaine.

man your results are impressive.

James180907

Reaction score
Not to be the party pooper here but isn't all this new hair gonna fall out soon when he has his first major ''shed''? Am I wrong?

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
TonyTheTiger said:
the hair regrowth came from the Rogaine, the propecia just helps you maintain the hair you grew from the regrown. I heard once you stop using Rogaine dont stop using propecia because the propecia helps maintain that hair you grew back with rogaine.

man your results are impressive.

I thought the finasteride inhabits the DHT, which in turn allows the rogaine to regrow hair?