Never a Norwood 1

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here who can honestly say that they've always had receded looking hairlines? I think I've been an Norwood 1.5 all my life.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Lucky you I was never less than a NW2.

slipy

Reaction score
i had a very strange uneven hairline. one temple was Norwood 1 the other Norwood 2.
and i couldn't understand why certain hairstyles looked strange on me.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
While never an NW1, I bet you still have more hair on your head than me today. If you are nw2 in your thirties then pardon me if I don't feel sorry for your never having a black guys hairline.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
While never an NW1, I bet you still have more hair on your head than me today. If you are nw2 in your thirties then pardon me if I don't feel sorry for your never having a black guys hairline.

Is it really necessary for you to hijack everyone else's posts by basically stating 'but i have it worse'? Hair loss isn't a disease but the mental effects of the loss can be real - everybody experiences that differently - some guys don't care about going completely bald, some guys are devastated at a slightly receded hairline or some asymmetry. Just because someone might not have the same level of hair loss as you, doesn't necessarily mean that their suffering or experience from it has been any better or any worse. My dad who is NW7 would have been amazed by the posts on here and tell you guys to get over it because he wouldn't understand that level of insecurity.

Sorry but I really don't like how there are a few posters here (not just you) who think that if someone isn't NW6 then they have no right to be talking about their fears or experiences of hair loss and even are blunt enough to state that opinion in quite a rude way.

Nene

Reaction score
I was freaking Norwood -1, hard to imagine a kid not having a norwood 1, anyone get pics?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
gh05 said:
uncomfortable man said:

Is it really necessary for you to hijack everyone else's posts by basically stating 'but i have it worse'? Hair loss isn't a disease but the mental effects of the loss can be real - everybody experiences that differently - some guys don't care about going completely bald, some guys are devastated at a slightly receded hairline or some asymmetry. Just because someone might not have the same level of hair loss as you, doesn't necessarily mean that their suffering or experience from it has been any better or any worse. My dad who is NW7 would have been amazed by the posts on here and tell you guys to get over it because he wouldn't understand that level of insecurity.

Sorry but I really don't like how there are a few posters here (not just you) who think that if someone isn't NW6 then they have no right to be talking about their fears or experiences of hair loss and even are blunt enough to state that opinion in quite a rude way.

There is a fundamental difference between worried about hair loss only you notice vs. everybody noticing. Last time I checked people weren't yelling baldy to nw2s out their car window. Point is he is safe from public ridicule while I am not, no matter how bad he may feel about his temple recession. He is safe.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
gh05 said:
[quote="uncomfortable man":3mljsgo0]While never an NW1, I bet you still have more hair on your head than me today. If you are nw2 in your thirties then pardon me if I don't feel sorry for your never having a black guys hairline.

There is a fundamental difference between worried about hair loss only you notice vs. everybody noticing. Last time I checked people weren't yelling baldy to nw2s out their car window. Point is he is safe from public ridicule while I am not, no matter how bad he may feel about his temple recession. He is safe.[/quote:3mljsgo0]

Really, is that the best, most practised response you can give?

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

Was it directed at me? Excuse me if not. By now I am heavily diffused NW2. And I'm 21. And I think I'll be in the same condition as you by reaching your age if things will not improove. I'm not here to make enemies with you UM, you're one of my favorite posters. hair loss still has devastated me a lot. I was sure I would be the last guy in the universe who would expirience this crap.

uncomfortable man said:
There is a fundamental difference between worried about hair loss only you notice vs. everybody noticing. Last time I checked people weren't yelling baldy to nw2s out their car window. Point is he is safe from public ridicule while I am not, no matter how bad he may feel about his temple recession. He is safe.

I think we live in a bit different places for that matter. I couldn't imagine anyone just rampaging on a bald guy on a street where I am at. And I couldn't care less if it happends to me. What matters to me is that I love my hair and I love feeling it. I would never argue that you're in a worse position than me right now. I didn't even provoke you in any way, bud.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Exodus2011 said:
actually thats a rly good response gh, theres a GIANT difference between hair loss only YOU notice versus hair loss EVERYONE ELSE notices

No, it wasn't a good response at all. There is no excuse for jumping down someone's throat who has every right to vent about their own situation based on how they FEEL about their hair loss.

A NW7 might feel f'n great about his appearance and a NW2 may feel terrible because some hair loss has affected his self esteem hugely.

The fear of hair loss to someone just beginning it (especially while in a difficult period of their lives) may cause just as much as much trauma as someone who is fully bald and has been teased or even ridiculed because of it. Until you are in that persons shoes then you do not know. Personally, for me I have OCD issues and that couples with the trauma I experienced from being told I was beginning to go bald (although not easily noticeable to most people) was horrific at a time in my life when my confidence was already very low. I could spend six hours in the mirror a day before finally smashing it over my head, distressed and exhausted. Other bald members of my family or friends, perfectly content with themselves and accepting of their appearance would have no idea or ability to understand that strength of feeling from either a bit or a lot of hair loss. Different people are going through different things - maybe it's somebody who has had their partner leave them, lost their job or whatever and their problems might manifest itself with worry/insecurity about hair loss - whether that be someone starting out (fear of the unknown or inability to accept an asymmetrical hair line or early bald spot), or someone who is completely bald and recently decided they hate it because they are now newly single for example and are feeling less confident.

Some of the most confident people I know are completely bald - I'm sure they are not exempt from the odd 'baldy' taunt but they manage just fine. My point is that the physical is not the problem - it is the mental reaction and it annoys me when I see posters like UCMan and others jumping down others throats for moaning despite not being 'as bald as them'. Frankly, the 'wait until you have it as bad as me' is just pathetically bitter.

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
^Another good post. I can't choose happines, confidence or the way I feel. hair loss is a thing that has no chance for true empathy from people who hasn't expirienced it. Zero. Some guys can somehow, to my amazement, cope with this sh*t. I DON'T THINK I CAN. To me it's like a handicap. My life for the past two years was like a nightmare from which I cannot wake up. I can't be happy doing anything anymore. There is always that little stress...

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Sorry Islander, I was directing that comment moreso at those slow receeders who worry about going bald but it never happens and they level off at a solid nw3 for the rest of their lives. You may not be in that category from what you've said. I didn't mean to offend you specifically.

gh05 said:
Really, is that the best, most practised response you can give?
What do you need? An essay?

gh05 said:
Until you are in that persons shoes then you do not know.

Yes I was in his shoes so I do know. But have you been in my shoes? Take your own advice.

gh05 said:
A NW7 might feel f'n great about his appearance and a NW2 may feel terrible because some hair loss has affected his self esteem hugely.

Lovin the hypotheticals... :whistle: But seriously, do you honestly believe that the guy in agony over his nw2 is going to magically feel better about being an NW5 and all the sh*t that comes with it?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well the short height forums are full of 5'11" guys who believe they have a problem.
If you're 17 and a NW2 its understandable but to act like you are actually experiencing baldness when you are'nt is annoying to those who are.
There are plenty of NW2/3's on here who acknowledge that their situation is'nt as bad as others.
Like its been pointed out if none else sees it its not a big problem, just like those 5'11" guys dont really have a problem.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
There are plenty of NW2/3's on here who acknowledge that their situation is'nt as bad as others.

May I take this opportunity to thank all of those ^ guys (man in space, islander, exodus to name about half). I appreciate their consideration.

This humpty dumpty fell down and shattered to bits so thanks for walking on eggshells. :innocent:

Jeremy K

Reaction score
I don't see why it has to be some big competition about who has it worse.

I mean, I'm 29 and a Norwood 2.5 with diffuse thinning up top and hide it pretty well with long hair, but I've lost well over half of my hair density and to me, it just looks like sh*t. I've managed to stop my hairloss so I guess in that respect I was fortunate, because I still had time, but had I not, I would be well on my way by now at the rate that I was losing my hair.

I am no longer depressed, because the hair loss has stopped and conditions are improving, but for those several years I was devastated beyond description watching my hair shrink and wither away, and seeing my forehead getting bigger, because I knew what was in store and nothing I was trying was working. My spirit had been destroyed and anything positive that I experienced in life was negated by the thought of "But I'm still losing my hair"

People do notice that I've lost hair because it used to be ridiculously thick, but yes, I never had it as bad as a NW7, but so what? It was still enough to destroy my life and I'm still trying to recover even with things improving. My confidence is gone.

I wouldn't expect a Norwood 7 to be too sympathetic, but that doesn't mean that we have to feel good about our situations.

slipy

Reaction score
in my early days my strange hairline wasn't an effect of male pattern baldness obviously, it was one my many birth defects.
my uneven hairline prevented me from acknowledging my balding when it first started. the Norwood 2 temple started thinning and going up with me thinking it has always been that way. only when my good temple began to fall out did i know what's up.

slipy

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

no one should argue with this. this could cause indisputable issues for the sensitive ones. i know if i had a Norwood 6 and if a group of young people was walking towards me, my heart would start to race, i'd have difficulty breathing(panic attack?), and whether they would say anything to me or not, it'd still be an unpleasant situation.

and if some moron wants to jump in and say stop being a oversensitive f*****,
you're either are one or youre not, it's not a switch you can turn on/off.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
agree 100%

if i was in that situation i do panic and feel like a social target, i am not safe.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Yes I was in his shoes so I do know. But have you been in my shoes? Take your own advice.

But that is what you seem unable to grasp - the mental side of things - the reason that you are here devastated about your hair loss and my NW7 family members barely give it a thought. You have NOT ever been in that guys shoes - you may have had the same amount of hair loss and you may have far greater hair loss now but you have not been in his situation. You don't know if he's been bullied everyday in school for having a 'bit of a recedo', you don't know if his long term partner has said she would leave him if he went bald and you don't know how he would react to any of those 'hypotheticals' You don't know anything.

gh05 said:
Lovin the hypotheticals... :whistle:

Apparently they are necessary to make a point to someone who is too stubborn to know better.

But seriously, do you honestly believe that the guy in agony over his nw2 is going to magically feel better about being an NW5 and all the sh*t that comes with it?

I have absolutely no idea - some people yes and some people no. Circumstances change, people change. For me, I've noticed that my fear of going bald has lessened greatly in the last few weeks since I've been hitting the gym hard and getting myself into great shape - for someone else they might be distraught at being a NW3 when they're single but not care once they are NW6 but with a great girlfriend.

Either way, you don't have a right to jump down the throat of anybody who wants to vent about their own worries or insecurities no matter how minor you think their physical issues might be.