Neogenesis Of Hair Is Possible Even In Geriatric Patient

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only one hair, but real hair.
Never too old to regenerate? Wound induced hair follicle neogenesis after secondary intention healing in a geriatric patient

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0965206X17301328?via=ihub

Wound healing is a natural process to restore the structure and function of injured or diseased tissues. Repair of a skin wound usually leads to a scar while regeneration implies fully recovery of function and structure of the damaged tissue. Adult skin wound usually heals with scar while fetal skin heals scarless. Hair regeneration in elderly scalp wound has never been observed. We reported an 80-year-old patient with a large wound on the scalp after excision of a basal cell carcinoma healed by secondary intention wound healing. The patient's wound healed very well aesthetically. Interestingly, on approximate post wound day 180, a hair was observed to be growing towards the surface and eventually erupted in the center of the wound. The hair remained black at 42-month follow-up. This case demonstrated that neogenesis of hair is possible even in geriatric patient. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of hair regrow in human skin after wound healing.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm curious what type of medicine or ointment the guy was putting on his head after wounding? That may be important for the regrowth to occur.

Reactions: -G-

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone want to smear some of this on a bald spot and give us feedback? Lol

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I deleted the fluorouracil post and started a separate thread as should have been done.