Negatives on MSM?

Griffen

Reaction score
I hear only good things about MSM, is there a catch? Does MSM accelerate the hair cycle and possibly male pattern baldness? Anybody have a bad experience with MSM aside from extra bodyhair?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Griffen said:
I hear only good things about MSM, is there a catch? Does MSM accelerate the hair cycle and possibly male pattern baldness? Anybody have a bad experience with MSM aside from extra bodyhair?

The only negative I've ever heard is that it could induce gastro intestinal distress (gas and tummy aches) if taken on an empty stomach. Always take w/ or after a meal.

Bod

Reaction score
I have been taking 4000mg of MSM since January and I can't say its made my hair grow any faster, I have a shaved head normally on a grade 2 and it takes me about 2 weeks before I am a grade 3 so that just goes to show you it hasn’t made my hair grow any faster, but I suppose everyone is different.

The main benefits I have from MSM are I don't have any joint problems, I feel my bones are stronger and my skin looks more youthful, the only side affect is the disgusting taste of the stuff.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MSM is great, not neccessarily for hair, but general aches and pains. I broke my knee coming off my bike a few years back and it gave me a lot of trouble - once I started supplementing with MSM the ache just disappeared. With a few weeks.

I wish I'd known about this stuff before my dog died - she had spinal arthritis and I'm sure if I'd stuck a little MSM in her feed then her last years wouldn't have been so painful.

CCS

Reaction score
My MSM is made by Kroger. Anything wrong with that? I take 1000mg per day, along with 1500mg Glucosamine HCL and 1200mg Chondroitin Sulfate, also from Kroger. It says it is from shelfish. I can't say my joints have improved much, though I don't take it that regularly.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
My MSM is made by Kroger. Anything wrong with that? I take 1000mg per day, along with 1500mg Glucosamine HCL and 1200mg Chondroitin Sulfate, also from Kroger. It says it is from shelfish. I can't say my joints have improved much, though I don't take it that regularly.

I get Higher Nature brand MSM, which is 100% sourced from tree bark rather than petrochemicals, not sure if that makes a difference. For some reason the bottle has a UV filter. You can get crystals or powder - I just get the powder, open the capsule and empty it over my cereal instead of sugar.

Well, maybe a little sugar. :)

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:

I think the recommended dosages (for arthritis and joint related problems) for msm and gluc are 2000 mg daily. try taking 1000 mg each, 2x per day. (sometimes I have the chondrotin built in w/ my gluc and sometimes not. depends where I buy it).

(I do 3000 mg msm and 2000 mg gluc daily).

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I would chime in with my observations as a relatively experienced user of msm. I started taking this stuff primarily to speed up hair growth/results and for the bone/joint health as a recreational weightlifter.

I can honestly say that it has speed up my hair growth and it does prevent joint pain from the heavy lifting days. As for RE-growth, I can only attribute that to the other stufff in my regimine since their is not much info on its effect on hairloss. The important thing is the dosage. For me (160lbs) , it takes 3000mg to have any noticible positive effect. I once dropped down to 2000 and experienced somewhat slower growth. Then, Jayman pointed out to me the 3000 mg threshhold (I don't know where this comes from) and so I went back up to that - noticibly faster growth ensued. When I find some higher strenght capsules, I will go up 4-5000 mgs if possible - thats how sold I am on this stuff!

*There is also something else about this stuff that came as a pleasant surprise. Prior to taking it, I had one of those toenails that started looking like, you know, the disgusting yellow/thick/crud...toenail fungus problem. After using msm for about a month, I could see a distinct improvement in its condition. After 4 months, there is absolutely no trace of that nasty-looking $hit!

I wasn't using it at all for this purpose - this came as a "side-effect". It was only after noticing that I tried to do some more research on it - couldn't find anything on the fungus thing. So, I don't know what explains it but I know for me it was the msm - it is the only other wierd thing in my diet not listed in my regimine.

Been on it 4 months now - wouldn't drop it w/o good cause.

Ramboner

Reaction score
My experience with MSM taking between 3000-5000 mg a day:

- Grew head hair much faster: between 1.5 and 2 times faster
- Increased amounts of arm and leg hairs
- increased length of body hair to almost double the length
- Unfortunitely did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for joint pain
- I suspect it is giving me slight bloating
- Super annoying to actually take 5000 mg

Overall i'd say it's worth taking especially if it grows hair faster, then one can assume it'll speed up the results of the rest of the junk I'm taking.

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I took it for five or six weeks and all i noticed is that it made my back hair grow out a lot thicker and longer than usual. Since my back hair is something I've "been dealing with" for a while now, I stopped taking the MSM.

HairyBerry

Established Member
Reaction score
Ramboner said:
My experience with MSM taking between 3000-5000 mg a day:

- Grew head hair much faster: between 1.5 and 2 times faster
- Increased amounts of arm and leg hairs
- increased length of body hair to almost double the length
- Unfortunitely did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for joint pain
- I suspect it is giving me slight bloating
- Super annoying to actually take 5000 mg

Overall i'd say it's worth taking especially if it grows hair faster, then one can assume it'll speed up the results of the rest of the junk I'm taking.

Damn.. is this happening to everyone on it? I have the supps already but didn't start the stuff yet.. more body hair is definitely something I don't want, I'm not too hairy(no back hair) but I'm more hairy than the average person and my dad looks like a monkey :hairy: any advice?

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
actually, i used 1500mg for one month, at the end of the bottle, i noticed longer hair on arms, little bit on chest. Funny thing is, i knew it was the MSM because on the right side of my chest, a blotch of hair started to grow out longer, and ther wasnt on the left.

I dont know if i want all the extra body hair, id like to know its if temperaryor not. As a bonus, my eyelashes did grow longer and made my eyes considerably better looking.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
eliminated all joint paint in knees, before and after heavy jogging.. 100% gone. I think it has other health benefits for skin, etc. I think it has also accelerated my hair growth to some degree.

AussieExperiment

Established Member
Reaction score
About the taste

You can buy MSM with natural orange flavour added. If you hate the taste of straight MSM then this might be a good idea. I think you are more likely to stick to something if you like it. The orange flavour makes it quite a refreshing drink.

The main benefits I have from MSM are I don't have any joint problems, I feel my bones are stronger and my skin looks more youthful, the only side affect is the disgusting taste of the stuff.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All I can contribute with my exp with MSM is that the hair on my hands, arms, legs, grew longer and my scalp hair would grow longer too thus speeding up my barber appointments. In additionm the nails on my fingers and toes grow long and somewhat unruly also.

okami

Reaction score
Do you think the positive effect turns to negative in the future? To think about MSM it has with cell´s doing? And the weird thing is that I can´t find that in my nearest pharmacy.

I don´t want to have any sideeffects in the future, that´s it.

PS: Where do you buy your MSM?

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
the only bad side effect of MSM ive heard is extra body hair.

Any extra organic sulfur (msm) will be easily flushed out by the system, so you cant overdose etc.

stuglue

Reaction score
been using it for a couple of weeks and it definitely helps when working out at the gym.My skin feels so much smoother,and my hips don't ache as much after a long session in the sack :lol:

Wolfdude

Reaction score
I wish there was conclusive proof on what this stuff does. I haven't found anyone yet that uses just MSM on it's own. How do we know it's making the hair grow faster when everyone seems to be taking a whole slew of other stuff for hair treatment along with it? I just started using it because it is cheap and might help.

Also, a website said "The amount of MSM in each dose usually is not critical, particularly when several successive doses are administered, because the ingested MSM accumulates in the body tissues and fluids...Individual doses of as low as 50 mg. are sometimes effective...The usual individual dose is about 100-1,000 mg., preferably 250-500 mg."

And it also said "No published research studies link MSM to any of the health claims made by its marketers. Sulfur needed in human metabolism comes from dietary protein. MSM supplements probably make little or no contribution to the body's sulfur requirements. Thus there is no good reason to use MSM supplements."

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/msm.html

Does anybody know of a study done on it or have hard evidence of it working with out other hair growing variables?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been taking MSM for the past week. It is too soon to report any benefical hair growing properties of MSM but it seems that my joints are feeling pretty good right now. Or it could be my imagination. So far this MSM experiment is doing good. :hairy: