neepy's Story

neepy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I am completely new to this site, but I think it is super for sharing information and experiences on the topic of hair loss and the feelings that go with it. As we all know, there is a lot of garbage and misinformation out there and false promises. The more information you have, the less likely you'll be disappointed.

My story is not much different from many I've read. I'm 33 and started losing my hair in college, but it really didn't become an issue with me until about 6 years ago. I could really notice a fallout mainly on the top of my head. I'm a tall guy, so I became very self conscious of leaning over to pick things up, looking down, etc. I take care of myself physically and it really bothered me to not have a full head of hair.

I tried Rogaine 2% right when it became over the counter. My head itched something awful, but I didn't know about the shampoos to use to help it. I really did not notice a difference, and quit it after about 1 year.

At that point, I was resigned to live with thinning hair. I really was accepting it as a fact of life for me.

Fast forward to about 1-2 months ago. For whatever reason, hair loss really started bothering me again. Maybe some friends joking, whatever. I just wanted to see if there was something I could do. I am married and my wife doesn't care if I have thin hair, but I began to think about trying something new. I knew that 5% Rogaine was available, but after the terrible itching I didn't want to try it again.

So, I ordered some finasteride online. I got it and started taking it, but frankly I was concerned about the authenticity of it. I could be taking a placebo, for all I knew. I mean guys, it came with just a blister pack of pills, white and unmarked- pretty shaky, I thought, and how can I prove it's finasteride? I'm no chemist. I threw them away.

I decided my health wasn't worth being cheap and wanted to make sure I was taking the real thing. I went to my doctor and he said "no problem- Let's try Propecia". I got a 3 month supply. I thought a long time about going to my doctor, I was embarrassed to be honest. But then I remembered "hey- it bothers you a lot not have as much hair too."

I've been on it about a month, and I didn't notice any big fallout or shedding like some people have. What I did notice was a sharp decrease of hairs on my pillow in the morning so far. When I run my hands through my hair, there are very few if any hairs that come out now. I see maybe one or 2 hairs on my pillow in the mornings, and there used to be a lot more.

I've had no side effects that were negative.

I am using the T-Gel shampoo and the Nizoral 1%- I really feel a difference in my scalp for the better. It never itches. I do like the Nizoral better just because of the non-medicine smell.

I have a 3 month supply of the 5% minoxidil as well. I haven't used it consistently yet- I thought I would see how my results are on just the Propecia alone for now. Plus, it takes forever to dry- 4-5 hours at least.

I would encourage all of you to do something if your hair loss bothers you. There are so many options to change just about anything you want in your life for the better, I think.

So, I'll keep you up to date on how things are going. Any comments are appreciated.

Neepy

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: Neepy's saga

Welcome to the site Neepy :)

neepy said:
I've been on it about a month, and I didn't notice any big fallout or shedding like some people have. What I did notice was a sharp decrease of hairs on my pillow in the morning so far. When I run my hands through my hair, there are very few if any hairs that come out now. I see maybe one or 2 hairs on my pillow in the mornings, and there used to be a lot more.
Your biggest challenge, and I say this to everyone, is going to be trying *not* to analyze things on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Treating hair loss is one thing: A roller coaster. Things will look great, then look terrible even 24 hours later. Its really easy to drive yourself insane, and that is why most guys come here, freaking out. The reality of your hair going into new cycles and potential sheds, mixed with your minds eye and all it can do to your perceptions can make a guy insane. The best thing you can possibly do right now is get a digital camera and some very bright lighting, and take some very clear, focused, detailed photos of your hair from relevant angles. Do it both wet, and dry. Styled, and messy. Cover all bases. These will give you both sanity in the months to come, and peace of mind. Trust me on this. Having peace of mind and good feelings over # of hairs on pillows is good, but be careful because you may have the equivilent form of panic and despair if things pick up pace and the # of hairs doubles. So ride everything out, and evaluate yourself in intervals of 3 to 6 months at the very least.

Neepy said:
I have a 3 month supply of the 5% minoxidil as well. I haven't used it consistently yet- I thought I would see how my results are on just the Propecia alone for now. Plus, it takes forever to dry- 4-5 hours at least.
If you're going to go this route, and I totally endorse it ... the "start small" approach ... you're going to need to hold off on that Rogaine for at least 8 to 12 months. Propecia usually takes that long to really really kick in.

Good Luck!

HairLossTalk.com