Need your help guys, shedding 4 months into finasteride

thekingofbomp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 22 y/o MALE here. so I started topical minoxidil on 21. April 2021. And topical finasteride on 24 of january 2022. So first two months on topical finasteride were great, my hairloss stopped and I could feel my hair becoming better. 3rd month I started shedding hard, even more than before starting finasteride. So fast forward now - 4 months into finasteride and I have been shedding for 2 months. My hair is in bad state right now. Can someone please give me some guidance on what should I do next? Everyone says that is it normal to shed but is it normal to shed for 2 months? Should I maybe add RU to my regimen? Or should I wait for 1 Full year on finasteride? I am really freaking out right now cause this shed is not slowing down and I am f*****g sad. Thanks in advance guys.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it is normal. You will get sheds different times of the year.

If you stop finasteride, it will only make it worse since your hair will get into another cycle.

thekingofbomp

My Regimen
Reaction score

If you stop finasteride, it will only make it worse since your hair will get into another cycle.
thank you for answer bro. I have 2 questions: finasteride can’t just stop working after 2 months right? And when can I expect to stop shedding?(I have been shedding for 2 months idk if it is normal)

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its funny how ppl think of ru as a second opt

False not normal. I never get sheds. Ur just a fat unhealthy slob.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone, 22 y/o MALE here. so I started topical minoxidil on 21. April 2021. And topical finasteride on 24 of january 2022. So first two months on topical finasteride were great, my hairloss stopped and I could feel my hair becoming better. 3rd month I started shedding hard, even more than before starting finasteride. So fast forward now - 4 months into finasteride and I have been shedding for 2 months. My hair is in bad state right now. Can someone please give me some guidance on what should I do next? Everyone says that is it normal to shed but is it normal to shed for 2 months? Should I maybe add RU to my regimen? Or should I wait for 1 Full year on finasteride? I am really freaking out right now cause this shed is not slowing down and I am f*****g sad. Thanks in advance guys.
U got upregulation of your receptors maybe, I would just try oral finasteride instead and ditch the topical. Thats what I did.
And what should second option be? I will not use dutasteride due to blocking 5AR1. Why would I use oral minoxidil if I am shedding?

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thank you for answer bro. I have 2 questions: finasteride can’t just stop working after 2 months right? And when can I expect to stop shedding?(I have been shedding for 2 months idk if it is normal)

No of course not. What happens is the weakened hairs stop being attacked and start getting into anagen phase so they fall out (shed) to synchronise the hair cycle with other hairs. This is why minoxidil shedding is the worst and most noticeable since it actually strengthens existing hairs and minitiarised hairs as well.

How long will it last depends on individual. My hair loss gets worse in winter months, better during summer. I think I get like two sheds in a year, the worst is in winter.

If your topical finasteride formulation worked for 2 months then it’s all good. Keep it consistent and at the end of it you will have strong thick hairs.

Calvino82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like seasonal shedding to me. Or just ur alopecia advancing: it may stop again later on. In any case you shouldn't drop Finasteride. Don't panic and you will find a way out, may it be SMP and/or a hair transplant when the moment is right. Personally, i wouldn't be adding anything to your regimen, as i am a strong supporter of ORAL Finasteride and believe that anything else is snake oil. Good luck!

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Switch to oral finasteride.

Calvino82

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are literal studies that topical finasteride is same if not better than oral, so don’t know where you guys are coming from
Experience and common sense, dude. What's the actual percentage of oral and topical users? I don't care about the studies you are talking about, i have been following the subject for long enough to know. It's a serious subject, let's not get people confused.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry but I’d rather trust studies than your experience and common sense
Topical finasteride goes systemic anyway why bother using it topically, also you need a high enough dosage to get as good results as 1mg oral. Studies use 0.25% and up to 1% even. Your dosage could possibly be too low. And hair absorbs alot of the topical keep that in mind. I used to apply finasteride topically but ended up having to use a high dosage that would go systemic alot, so for conviniency I decided to use oral 1mg and oral minoxidill instead

Calvino82

My Regimen
Reaction score
@losingbattle88 You actually have more experience than me about topical finasteride, so i have a question for you: should one spread topical finasteride all over the top of the scalp to make it work across all of the Norwood scheme zones? Or just to a smaller area then it will get systemic and just do?

thekingofbomp

My Regimen
Reaction score
You actually have more experience of me about this subject, so i have a question for you: Should one spread topical finasteride all across the top of the scalp to make it work across all of the Norwood scheme zones? Or just to a smaller area and then it will get systemic and just do?
Topical will of course go systematic, I just like it because I have more freedom to titrate my dosage, I do not have access to 1mg finasteride pill on my country, so I would need to use 1.25mg daily if I cut proscar pill, which goes systematic same as my 0.5 topical. And with topical finasteride you can apply it wherever you want, to the hand - all across scalp, smaller area on scalp - everything is basically the same and it will go systematic

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical will of course go systematic, I just like it because I have more freedom to titrate my dosage, I do not have access to 1mg finasteride pill on my country, so I would need to use 1.25mg daily if I cut proscar pill, which goes systematic same as my 0.5 topical. And with topical finasteride you can apply it wherever you want, to the hand - all across scalp, smaller area on scalp - everything is basically the same and it will go systematic
Oral hits every folicle u cant miss a hair like topical and theres no guarantee that your topical even enters and hits the hair folicle bulb. Also its inconvinient to apply daily topicals and wait a few hours for it to absorb into the scalp. I used to apply it once a day at Night and i had to wait 3h for it to fully absorb until I could go to bed and sleep. Very inconvinient and usually more expensive than pills. But you do you bro.

Calvino82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry dude, I have good reasons to believe it is not the same thing. My question was more on the practical side, and my advice is to switch to oral 1.25 mg Finasteride in order to improve your situation. Of course, you are also free to do and believe what you feel like, but I found out afterward you were the same one who is in seek of help, which sounds a bit surprising to me given your later messages.

Last edited: