Need your advice...

G

Peter_mac said:
Ok, I understand that if done correctly, most of the people will think it’s my real hair. The question is, regarding the small percentage that won’t be fooled, can they be sure it’s not my real hair, or will they only suspect of that possibility (in comparison to the other 99%, that won’t even suspect)?

If done right you will fool 99+% of the general public. Since your sides are in good shape you might even fool most hair wearers. Anyone who happens to think something is off probably won't know it's a piece. most people think RUG when they think of a piece, and as long as it isn't a RUG they probably won't be able to pick out what it is that makes them take a second look.

Another important question, because I DO have something to lose (at least for now), is it possible to get a very good impression how natural the hair system will look on me, without shaving the top of my head (maybe I can order a hair system with a skin base that will mask the hair on the top of the head ?). The moment I shave the top of my head it’s game over for my real hair, if the hair system doesn’t look natural I’ll be at a much worse situation than I started…

I say shave it and don't look back. You are a great candidate for a piece. Some people do attach over existing hair but the attachment won't be as good.

Another question, as you can see from my pic, I have temples, can the hair system be designed to mimic those exact temples ?, otherwise I’m giving it away immediately…

Are you going with a full cap? If you are using a topper you keep your temples.

G

Peter_mac said:
The question is can such a switch be done seamlessly ?, I have an advantage in the fact that I never used gel before on my hair, and never dyed it before, and never styled it before in any way other than how it looks now. If I change to a hair system (with low density at the front hairline), dye my hair, and use gel, people might not suspect a hair system, rather just a big change that happened from dye and gel and new hairstyle.

The first thing you have to understand is that people are entirely too self absorbed and busy with their own lives to think that much about your hair.

Here's what you do.

Order two all lace pieces with fairly light density. Send a hair sample for color match. If you had more severe hairloss I would recommend you order it with 20% 1/4" highlights in the color of your choice, but with your level of baldness you would have to do highlights in your own hair to match it up which might be a little advanced for your first unit.

When you get your first units, get them both cut in. Pick up some Paul Mitchell Waxworks, John Frieda Clearly Defined gel, or pick up some cheap products and a bottle of Blue Max Climate Control Serum (which is a silicone based hair sealer i developed). You can use the Waxworks or the John Frieda gel without the serum, but most other products will dry the hair so don't use them without adding the serum.

Have your cut ins done in a modern, trendy style. USE HAIR PRODUCT! I can't stress this enough. Especially during the learning curve. Styling products will help you "cheat" most flaws and throw people off from suspecting you did anything but got a cool new hairstyle.

Peter_mac

Reaction score
Thanks JRob for your advices.

In order to minimize risks, do you think it is better (for the first hairpiece) to go with a hairstyle in which I comb the hair forward ? (to reveal less hairline). Currently with my combover my hairline is covered, if people will suddenly see a decent hairline this might look suspicious, no ?

I thought maybe about something like this:
http://www.toplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 7610c0a5b6

Maybe a bit shorter (since it has to look like I got a haircut, no hair addition), and use more hair product than he did…

Also, I think my hairline should be more U-shaped than this guy's straight hairline, look at my current hair pic, the transition has to be believable...

CCS

Reaction score
Another decision that might come up later is if you want to laser off the thin hair you have so you get better attachment and don't have to shave regularly. Looks more believeable up close if the scalp does not have hairs laying flat. I have grafts, which are just a bit higher in visual density than your hair, though mine are fewer and higher caliper. I acutally look OK for an average 35 year old, but I want to look good for a 20 year old. If I laser the grafts, my piece would look better, but then I'd be stuck with it. And lasering costs money and takes time.

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
I acutally look OK for an average 35 year old, but I want to look good for a 20 year old.

But you're not 20, you're closer to 35. :whistle:

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
CCS said:
I acutally look OK for an average 35 year old, but I want to look good for a 20 year old.

But you're not 20, you're closer to 35. :whistle:

I never looked 20 in my life, even when I was 20. That is the point. And I'm 28, not 35. I looked 20 when I wore my piece, even though it was a bad one. The potential is there. I just got to get the hassel down, and decide if I want to no longer shave, or if I want the grafts as back up incase I decide not to wear later.