Need Your Advice, Long Time Insomnia Sufferer

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Maybe you guys could give me some advice here.

So for the last three years, I have suffered from really bad insomnia and it's the worse thing ever. I can't tell you just how sh*t I feel on the inside.

I've been to the doctors countless of times, done blood tests etc and they haven't found anything. They just think I am depressed, but I don't believe it. I don't feel that way anyway. I've tried different kind of pills, but they didn't do sh*t.

I've told them about my use of minoxidil (Rogaine foam 5%) and they don't think it could have anything to do with it since I didn't get any side effects during the first three years. I've used it since 2011 and the insomnia started somewhere back in 2014.

For a while now I've been thinking that maybe it is in fact the minoxidil that's doing this sh*t to me, but I am scared shitless of stopping it. I mean I've maintained most of my hair by using it, so I feel it's doing a great job in that regard.

I'm just not sure what to do. Should I decrease my dosage for a while? Scared of shedding tbh.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From I know Minoxidil give tired eyes, I don't think minoxidil have connection to insomnia.

But yeah try decrease the dose to see if this helps

Btw, you are using minoxidil for like 6 years alone, so minoxidil give you regrow, maintain what you have?

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's stopped my hair loss completely, but it's definitely slowed it down. I still have a good amount of hair, but it's thinner. I'd probably have been bald a long time ago had I not used it.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
@hairloss_user , sleep is critical for health and a longer life. You should have a sleep study done by a medical sleep center. The typical recommendations for improving sleep are sleep in a completely dark room, sleep alone on comfortable mattress, don't drink caffeine or alcohol and don't use a computer or phone (because of the stimulating effects of the screen light) for an hour before retiring. Try to keep a regular schedule of sleep time. Try this for one month. You didn't mention what blood tests you had done but also some physicians are not knowledgeable about the interactions of various hormones, their levels and how they can affect sleep specifically. The HPA axis comes into play here (Hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal gland) and can produce "brain on fire" symptoms and PTSD-like effects. All of which, produce lack of sleep. See an MD who specializes in sleep disorders, integrative medicine physician knowledgeable of the same or a PhD in pharmacology that specializes in metabolic disease and treatment.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone

So for the last three years, I have suffered from really bad insomnia and it's the worse thing ever. I can't tell you just how sh*t I feel on the inside.

I've been to the doctors countless of times, done blood tests etc and they haven't found anything. They just think I am depressed, but I don't believe it. I don't feel that way anyway. I've tried different kind of pills, but they didn't do sh*t.

I've told them about my use of minoxidil (Rogaine foam 5%) and they don't think it could have anything to do with it since I didn't get any side effects during the first three years. I've used it since 2011 and the insomnia started somewhere back in 2014.

For a while now I've been thinking that maybe it is in fact the minoxidil that's doing this sh*t to me, but I am scared shitless of stopping it. I mean I've maintained most of my hair by using it, so I feel it's doing a great job in that regard.

I'm just not sure what to do. Should I decrease my dosage for a while? Scared of shedding tbh.

I seriously doubt its rogaine--try and google see if that has ever been reported..

I think you have insomnia independent of this--

are you stressed at night? thinking a lot?

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me. I've tried everything. I just feel it has to be something.

I can't remember what kind of blood tests I've done, but it's those basic ones you get.

It's just really hard for me to shut my brain off. Sure I think a lot at night time, but it's not negative thinking for the most part.

Yeah, I'll be meeting with someone who specializes in sleep disorders for the second time sometime next month. I hope I can get to the bottom of this and find a solution. sh*t is seriously killing me slowly.

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it.

HLPoster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Hi there,

Stumbled upon this post in a google search and see you're still active.

I've been having the identical issue (5% dosage used once daily) for some time and am wondering how things are working out. Did you lower the dosage? Did it help your sleep?

I thought the issue with my sleep was with finasteride which I stopped a couple of years back but to no avail.