Need to vent!

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok.... so I'm not a patient, calm person. I accept that about myself :lol:
But I am just having the hardest time dealing with not knowing WHY I am losing hair. It seems I have so many potential risk factors that would point to different problems. I have gotten NO help so far from anyone in the medical field. In 2 weeks I am seeing an endo and derm and they better do SOMETHING!

I feel like a nut case. I'm constantly convinced that I have a particular type of hairloss, then I read something which also could be it... I don't like the unknown.

I do know that I have an autoimmune thyroid disease, so that lends 2 potential reasons for losing hair.

I also have seb dermatitis (I think) which could either lend to the loss, or signal an underlying cause, like Androgenetic Alopecia.

I am overweight, and was told (based on a Doctor looking at me only) that I probably have PCOS. Which could mean there is a strong androgen problem.

Of course, no one has tested me for any of this to rule anything out! Now, I'm reading about inflammatory alopecias and read someone's description and it sounds JUST like me. So..... more confusion.

I am thin all over, seemingly especially on top but then isn't it more obvious there? I think the other hair lying over the rest of my head just conceals it better... when it's wet and I pick through it it is really quite thin everywhere. My hairline has receeded in front about 1/4 inch with just stubble there that never grows. My temples are greatly receeded (inches) , with stunted peach fuzz for months that never develops. I part my hair to the side, and one side is recessed further than the other. Not only is the hair there sparse, but the bit that grew back never grows past a couple of inches.

My scalp is red and itchy and Nizoral, T-Gel, and Loprox aren't clearing it up at all after 3 weeks of using these in combination. UGH!!!!!!!!!!

I am just praying that this derm knows what he's doing. Takes this seriously, runs the proper tests, and tells me something.

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Sad Mom....
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating visits with the docs....it sounds like they've just theorized and threw ideas about what could cause your hairloss. As for having pcos...did they ever do ultrasounds on your ovaries to diagnose this problem???? IF he/she didn't, then that was an inacurate diagnosis.Anyways, I wish I could give you an answer to your problem...but I'm in the same boat. My derm last week mentioned doing a scalp biopsy....whatever the hell that means. I also bluntly asked him if there were people actually trying to find a cure for this.....he said yes. I'm hoping its in my lifetime. This is sooo scary because now we are trying for a baby. But in all honesty...I'm actually weighing the option with being bald afterwards...and the hairloss is winning right now. That is really scary. Anyways, hang in there...I know its frustrating...its comforting to know there is someone else in this same boat....(a crappy boat)....if you need anything let me know :)

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
PCOS

He told me I had PCOS because I was having acne and skin problems (I've since found out much of that was dermatitis), because I'm overweight, and because some of my babies weighed over 9 lbs, and because I complained about losing a lot of hair after baby #5 . No one has ever run any horomone levels on me, although I hope the endo will in a couple of weeks. I've got NO problem getting pregnant.

I have lost more and more hair after each baby, but always seemed to regain the density before they were a year old. Except that after #5, my temple areas would get like quarter sized bald spots. The hair there would disappear literally overnight (usually right before my period began), and then would immediately begin to grow back in. While I was pregnant with #6, they grew in fully before the pregnancy was over.

I'm just so confused, because I read so many things and they all sound like me! But I would hope I'm not unlucky enough to have 2 or 3 causes for hairloss all going on the same time.

I understand your fear of losing your hair totally. I am wanting another baby still and that weighs on me heavily. But, if I didn't have my sweet baby this year while dealing with this hairloss, I think I would have totally lost my mind. Even though bringing her here might have caused it :(