need tips on diet for a vegetarian

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys:
I am trying to lose 20 pounds or so without losing muscles. I work out 3-4 times a week (weight lifting) for 30 mins followed by 10 minutes of cardio.
1. What is the minimum amount of protein required for a non-exercising person
2. How many grams of protein if you want to tone the muscles you have.
3. How many grams to get muscular (heavy built)?

My only sources of protein are skimmed milk, fat free cheese, lentils (kidney beans, indian dhals), fat free yogurt, low fat buttermilk.
I get around 50-70 g of protein. Is it enough? Is it ok to take too much of milk based protein?
I tried soy, but I don't like the taste.

for the first 23 years of my life my diet was just carb and carb with fat (Fried foods). Just before marriage I took protein shakes, built reasonable muscles.

After marriage and job, I have lost them all and gained around 40 pounds. I have lost 20 of them. I would like to lose another 20 or so.

Thanks.
Currently I take 5 servings of vegetables (Salad), 3 servings of fruits, around 6-8 fat free cheese slices + 2 glasses of skimmed milk (with coffee) + 1 serving of fat free yogurt +....

PS. I would prefer to avoid supplements.
thanks.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I can't help with your specific questions, but, have you looked into flavored soy? The health food store in my neighborhood carries soy in a multitude of flavors, shapes, and consistencies. They have soy patties that look like grilled chicken, and have a nice teriyaki flavor.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gardy, thanks for the response. I have tried them all. In fact when I tried protein shakes, I would have preferred flavor less. I am used to eating spicy food and not too much choco/vanilla or other flavors.

Any idea about protein requirements? I am 5'7" and weigh 177 pounds.

drinkrum

Reaction score
If you're 177 lbs and trying lose weight, try to get about 150 grams of protein at least per day. If you're 177 lbs and trying to gain muscle, take in close to 300 grams. I just finished a bulking cycle (5'11" 183 lbs to 5'11" 200 lbs). I was taking in close to 300-400 grams of protein per day. Avoided alcohol, sweets, etc. Remember to load up on the carbohydrates in the morning, taper them off throughout the day. Eat 6 small meals a day and try not to eat anything a couple hours before sleeping. However, before going to bed, take a protein shake with milk. The casein in the milk will slow down the digestion of the protein and preserve its anabolic effects.

And don't eat soy. Eating moderate to large amounts of soy daily has been clinically shown to throw the testosterone/estrogen balance off kilter. Take whey protein and good fats. I recommend Muscle Milk and Optimum Whey, both available at your local GNC but cheaper at http://www.bulknutrition.com or http://www.bodybuilding.com.

D.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum,
thanks for the response. I have ordered whey protein from bodybuilding.com. I now realize that I cannot get 150 g of protein unless I take these supplements. thanks.
(You said too much soy protein is bad, is milk/dairy protein ok in large quantities?).
thanks.

drinkrum

Reaction score
techprof said:
drinkrum,
thanks for the response. I have ordered whey protein from bodybuilding.com. I now realize that I cannot get 150 g of protein unless I take these supplements. thanks.
(You said too much soy protein is bad, is milk/dairy protein ok in large quantities?).
thanks.

Yes, it may give you slight gastrointestinal discomfort at first, but you be fine as your body adjusts to the new influx of protein.

D.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I LOVE Trader Joes. It makes everyday cooking SO much more interesting, and has a great variety of the healthy stuff that tastes good too. And it's cheap! And it's all GMO and hormone-free food, and preservatives in only a minimal amount of their foods.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sublime, thanks for sharing the diet plan.
Having my tongue/taste spoiled with low-quality food for 25 years, your diet plan is very strict for me.
I cannot avoid rice. But so far, I have been able to control my weight.
My main concern was the intake of protein. Hopefully the powder supplement will help.
(BTW, I don't eat eggs and so are many vegetarians).

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Neiltom, thanks.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
If you're 177 lbs and trying lose weight, try to get about 150 grams of protein at least per day. If you're 177 lbs and trying to gain muscle, take in close to 300 grams. I just finished a bulking cycle (5'11" 183 lbs to 5'11" 200 lbs). I was taking in close to 300-400 grams of protein per day. Avoided alcohol, sweets, etc. Remember to load up on the carbohydrates in the morning, taper them off throughout the day. Eat 6 small meals a day and try not to eat anything a couple hours before sleeping. However, before going to bed, take a protein shake with milk. The casein in the milk will slow down the digestion of the protein and preserve its anabolic effects.

And don't eat soy. Eating moderate to large amounts of soy daily has been clinically shown to throw the testosterone/estrogen balance off kilter. Take whey protein and good fats. I recommend Muscle Milk and Optimum Whey, both available at your local GNC but cheaper at http://www.bulknutrition.com or http://www.bodybuilding.com.

D.

150 grams of protein is way too much. 50 - 70 grams of protein is just fine. You will build muscle and lose fat with only around 50 grams of protein. You have to be really dedicated to the gym to take in 150 to 300 grams of protein.

More than likley, that much protein is just gonna turn into fat from not using it in your gym time. Along with all the vegetable and carb servings in your diet, you're gonna be a bit flabby. That much protein is meant for bodybuilders and people looking for some real bulk. The lean muscular look requires around 50 to 70 grams of protein, cardio, and about 45 minutes of strenuous weight-lifting 5 days a week.

drinkrum

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
150 grams of protein is way too much. 50 - 70 grams of protein is just fine. You will build muscle and lose fat with only around 50 grams of protein. You have to be really dedicated to the gym to take in 150 to 300 grams of protein.

More than likley, that much protein is just gonna turn into fat from not using it in your gym time. Along with all the vegetable and carb servings in your diet, you're gonna be a bit flabby. That much protein is meant for bodybuilders and people looking for some real bulk. The lean muscular look requires around 50 to 70 grams of protein, cardio, and about 45 minutes of strenuous weight-lifting 5 days a week.

Sigh. Excess protein does not turn into fat. It just gets excreted. 50-70 grams of protein is fine to put on mass ... if you're a 6-year old girl. To achieve the lean, muscular look, you need to put on muscle first (i.e., bulk). You aren't going to get it doing 500 reps curling your cereal box in the morning. You need to lift some real weights and eat like a man.

D.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
wangho75 said:

Sigh. Excess protein does not turn into fat. It just gets excreted. 50-70 grams of protein is fine to put on mass ... if you're a 6-year old girl. To achieve the lean, muscular look, you need to put on muscle first (i.e., bulk). You aren't going to get it doing 500 reps curling your cereal box in the morning. You need to lift some real weights and eat like a man.

D.

but usually when you're getting your protein from shakes or protein bars, there are alot of calories attached to it in the form of carbs. As far as im concerned, and as far as my body goes, I have to restrict calories to get a lean and toned physique. This may be applicable to some people. When I eat too much, I get a bloated face, so I have to restrict.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Depends on the shake. Optimum Whey is just straight up protein -- no added calories. Muscle Milk is calorie-intensive, but it works like a charm and tastes amazing. It all depends on where the calories are coming from. Complex carbs, good fats, and protein are all good forms of calories that actually help sustain your metabolism. If you cut down on cals needlessly, your basal metabolic rate will go down and you won't put on any muscle and you will retain fat much more readily.

D.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum, i have to agree with you on protein. I have a gym at home (bowflex look-alike, free weights and a treadmill). I can hit my basement/gym 5 times a week.
After taking around 100 g per day, I have noticed significant change in my metabolism and energy within 2 weeks. I will keep you updated.
i am trying to minimize junk food/bad carbs. My weight remains the same, but my pants feel slightly loose.

drinkrum

Reaction score
techprof said:
drinkrum, i have to agree with you on protein. I have a gym at home (bowflex look-alike, free weights and a treadmill). I can hit my basement/gym 5 times a week.
After taking around 100 g per day, I have noticed significant change in my metabolism and energy within 2 weeks. I will keep you updated.
i am trying to minimize junk food/bad carbs. My weight remains the same, but my pants feel slightly loose.

Great news, tech. Remember to take in enough carbs before working out and to get some protein in your system right after.

D.