Need Some Guidance, Please And Thanks.

Cucumba

My Regimen
Reaction score
My 1st dermatologist said I have ''Telogen effluvium''
2nd one said its Androgenic alopecia and prescribed 1mg finasteride.

almost a year later finasteride has done nothing (cant even say it helped me maintain)
because I hadn't done anything for my hair loss for 2 years and after one year of finasteride it is still the same.
no more (maybe 5%? no less.)
[EDIT] I should mention that I wasn't aware that finasteride was meant to be taken roughly the same time everyday, So I never really paid attention to it, it is only recently that I started to take it around the same time.

I have attached some photos to show my area of concerns, I don't have any bald patches its just that my hair in certain areas is so fine and thin that it looks like there is nothing. And in some areas there are just black dots instead of hair.

I am a bit sceptical about my diagnose since both the dermatologists are pretty big in Melbourne and both gave a different diagnosis.

2nd photo is my crown, please do zoom in and you will see that the hair is still present but just very light and thin

3rd photo is highlighted area where there are just black dots still no ''bald patches''

4th area is a zoomed in image of those black dots.

Should I stick to finasteride or find a different dermatologist?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 3_LI.jpg
    3_LI.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 110
  • dots.jpg
    dots.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
My 1st dermatologist said I have ''Telogen effluvium''
2nd one said its Androgenic alopecia and prescribed 1mg finasteride.

almost a year later finasteride has done nothing (cant even say it helped me maintain)
because I hadn't done anything for my hair loss for 2 years and after one year of finasteride it is still the same.
no more (maybe 5%? no less.)
[EDIT] I should mention that I wasn't aware that finasteride was meant to be taken roughly the same time everyday, So I never really paid attention to it, it is only recently that I started to take it around the same time.

I have attached some photos to show my area of concerns, I don't have any bald patches its just that my hair in certain areas is so fine and thin that it looks like there is nothing. And in some areas there are just black dots instead of hair.

I am a bit sceptical about my diagnose since both the dermatologists are pretty big in Melbourne and both gave a different diagnosis.

2nd photo is my crown, please do zoom in and you will see that the hair is still present but just very light and thin

3rd photo is highlighted area where there are just black dots still no ''bald patches''

4th area is a zoomed in image of those black dots.

Should I stick to finasteride or find a different dermatologist?
Hard to tell without your hair grown out some. I would go to a doctor who specializes in hair loss and has a great reputation. You need one more opinion to break the tie. If you have a family history of balding, I would continue to take finasteride just to keep as much hair as you can if you really care so much about your hair. Just remember, if your hair looks the same after taking finasteride and it does not get worse, consider that a win. Finasteride is no cure.