Need some advice for my first regimen!

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to begin to tackle my male pattern baldness as soon as this semester's finals are over. Before I do so, I have a couple of questions.

Some quick info: Receding at the temples. I'm not even a Norwood 2 yet, but on the way. I'm also beginning to see very, very slight thinning in the frontal area...undetectable to probably anyone but me so stopping that would be great. No thinning in the crown or vertex, full head of hair other then the aforementioned. Losing hair relatively slowly...been balding for about 2, 3 years and not even a Norwood 2. I am interested mostly in maintaining what I have and strengthening the thinning and dying hairs. If I can do that, I'd be ecstatic. Of course, regrowth would be even better though. I am a realist, I realize that treatments don't even gurantee maintainence let alone regrowth.

1. How expensive is proscar? I'm a college student and thus poor.

2. Should I use minoxidil? I'm reading a lot about it growing hairs that don't last long. If so, what kind? How much would that be?

3. I know I should use a special shampoo to aid the regimen, but what kind of shampoo should I use? Some say TGel, some Nizoral, etc. Which is best for me?

4. Where should I get my products from?

Thanks in advance, and keep fighting the good fight. :D

P.S. Isn't it weird how concerned we are with losing hair. Step out of the box and think about it...its hair. We don't even need it. Weird... :?

Reaction score
Hi there.
The general approach to treatment for new people is as follows:

For the first year ONLY USE:

Propecia (or 1/4 of Proscars)
Nizoral Shampoo twice a week.

In most people this is enough to maintain and if you're lucky a little regrowth.

NOW, if you don't have success with this regimen in the first year, IN THE SECOND YEAR you can then add the minoxidil 5%. You can get Rogaine or Kirkland from Costco or from eBay.

Since your male pattern baldness doesn't sound too aggressive, I think the above will do OK for you for the next 5-10 years. Then you can come back to research more for other experimental products or even learn now and gain & share more knowledge like many of us are doing so to keep up to date and fine tune our regimens.

As for where to get Proscar and Nizoral I live overseas so its better for someone else to advise that. I believe a derm can prescribe them? Where I live we can get it easily from any pharmacy without a prescription!! :hairy:

Good luck! From what it sounds, I think you'll be fine.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Dat's good advice from HLM. But based on my experience, I'd say start with just minoxidil, once per day, twice if you wanna, but with minor loss once/day might get you by for a long while and achieve the results you want. You will have to stay on minoxidil indefinitely or you could have a bad shed.

If the minoxidil don't cut it, or loses effectiveness in time get on the finasteride. You'll probably have to at some point for long-term protection.

Lotsa people prefer the propecia/proscar first approach because it's alot easier to just poppa pill, and it does maintain for most.

In my case, my hair, esp. in front continued to worsen for 3+ years on finasteride alone. I started minoxidil 15 months ago and have had very satisfactory results, in front and all about. It can work very quickly too, I saw it was doing me good at just 2 months on. Results are still solid and I expect them to be for a long time. They's good strong hairs.

Another thing is the potential side effects from finasteride. I and many others have had uncool sexual sides. I've been on and off finasteride and swear it kills me desire. I just started another vacation from de stuff to hopefully get the libido more normal.

Whichever you decide to do, propecia first or minoxidil first, best o luck!

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wheyface33 said:
P.S. Isn't it weird how concerned we are with losing hair. Step out of the box and think about it...its hair. We don't even need it. Weird... :?

We dont need happyness and joy either. But we're concerned about getting our share of it, right? Loss of hair can feel like a direct threat to our odds of enjoying life. Fact is, a full head of hair is attractive. We want to be attractive. For some because that directly relates to their confidence and happyness, and others because being attractive is a tool to achieve greater success.

RBK

Reaction score
Check with your doctor before doing the propecia thing.

If you end up doing the propecia thing then, you can save a bundle of money by purchasing from these guys, if your Doctor approves:

http://www.4cnrs-hair-loss.com/fincar.h ... 30a17d6584

You can get a pill cutter from Walmart and chop the pills into 5 equal parts for use. Or, the same people have 1mg doses available. Here again, ask the Doctor.

RBK

Reaction score
Oh yeah, do the Nizoral shampoo thing also. Get it from Walmart or CVS.

wheyface33

Established Member
Reaction score
flux said:
wheyface33 said:

We dont need happyness and joy either. But we're concerned about getting our share of it, right? Loss of hair can feel like a direct threat to our odds of enjoying life. Fact is, a full head of hair is attractive. We want to be attractive. For some because that directly relates to their confidence and happyness, and others because being attractive is a tool to achieve greater success.

Yah I know, I'm just saying its just a weird thing to think about...how hair means attractiveness and confidence. Hair is...well..hair. Society has made it a commodity...its just interesting to think about.

To the others,
Thanks for your advice on the regimen. I think I'm just gonna start with proscar and nizoral...then if I am not happy with that, go with the minoxidil. Thanks again guys!

Keep fightin the good fight.