Need some advice before starting finasteride

carrotbumzz

Reaction score
Race: Asian

Hair loss history:
-My hair started to be thinning before I was 18 but I didn't notice, or didn't pay that much attention on hair loss. My hair stylist told me my hair was thin on the top comparing to the whole scalp, but in general it was still thick.
-I lived and grew up in a Southeast Asia country where baldness is really rare. When I turned 18, I immigrated to the states for my studying. Since this time, I started to spend much time on the mirror and care too much on my hair loss.
-My hair loss started to be accelerated since immigration and it increased to the highest rate during the time Oct/10-Jan/11.
-My hair loss stopped immediately by Feb/11 since I took L cysteine 500mg. Then I switched to Nioxin supplements and it still keeps my hair from loosing until at the end of June/11.
-My hair was crazily shedding again for 2 months. I almost lost all my frontal hair unless coming back to L-cysteine. My hair stopped shedding since then and L cysteine keeps that pace until now-1 pill every day.

My hair loss is totally male pattern baldness.

I have some theories explaining my hair loss:

+My hair loss is due to DHT. I can feel that some thing is controlling my hair growth.
+Due to stress-living by myself in a different country is a very hard time in my life, my hair loss is accelerated. Stress may kill L-cysteine in my body and make crazy shedding => Supply L-cysteine helps me prevent hair loss.

My theory is without stress, my hair loss would go more slowly. I would end up with baldness at the age of 30 or later. My dad and uncle was bald since they were 40 which is normal to older men but the tragedy is my baldness is even worst than theirs.

My other theory which is more skeptical is my hair loss is due to shampoo/water/food. There were so many Vietnamese people telling me that they started to be bald since moving to the states. But this theory is not strong as the stress theory.

I has been taking L cysteine for 2 months now. My hair loss is stopped but I need regrow. I has been using Rogaine for 2 months already. It shows some results in my temples-some tiny hair growing in those areas but they re not what I am looking for.

My baldness is due to DHT; stress or lack of L-cysteine just accelerates it. So although my hair has stopped shedding, it cannot grow back if I do not control the DHT going to my scalp.

I ordered Fincar from inhouse and it has just arrived. Taking finasteride is a risk so I want to consider carefully before making the decision. I'm thinking of giving Saw Palmetto a try before going to finasteride. As I said, my hair has stopped shedding but DHT is controlling my hair growth. So I think my DHT level is not that high to make my hair shedding but high enough to block my hair from growing. Is SP a good try before finasteride in this case?

Here are some my pictures.

This is on 8/29 when I just started L-cysteine after a very crazy hair shedding time. I almost loose all my frontal hair.

DSCF0261.jpg

This is on 9/6, I have my hair cut very short to apply minoxidil more easily.
906.jpg

This is 10/1, almost a month later.
101.jpg

And this was taken today 10/24

Before combing
2410.jpg

After combing
1024.jpg

I was saying DHT is controlling my hair growth because my frontal hair cannot grow long. I noticed that issue since I was 18. You guys could see on the pictures above and easily can tell that my frontal hair just keeps the same length.

What do you guys thing? finasteride or not?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should at least give finasteride a trial run for say 1 month... at your stage it's a case of now or never... a "safer" alternative would be Revivogen, but you'd have to apply it over your entire scalp, frontal region to scalp, which would be very expensive

carrotbumzz

Reaction score
In my case, at least right now, DHT does not cause hair loss (I hasnt experienced any hair loss for 2 months now without using finasteride) but DHT is controlling my hair growth. So I am wondering if finasteride is too much to me. Anyone?

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how many men experienced sexual sides on finasteride but at the end of the day finasteride is the only thing that is FDA approved to block DHT and stop the internal things going on with hairloss. And quite honestly, at your stage I would say it's definitely a necessary addition to an hairloss regimen. minoxidil would even be a good addition. Getting on the big 3 asap is important if you want to maintain what hair you have and possibly even see some regrowth. Your young and you are catching it while it is not ridiculously late, so you have a good chance of regrowth! I would speak to a doctor and get on it immediately! Good lock man! Don't forget these forums and others, the men on here are here to help you with whatever questions you have. So if you are one of the unlucky ones who do get sexual sides, we will be here for you. Let's hope you don't though! Just be positive and appreciate the fact that your doing something about it and not just letting it go.

carrotbumzz

Reaction score
nyhair19 said:
I am not sure how many men experienced sexual sides on finasteride but at the end of the day finasteride is the only thing that is FDA approved to block DHT and stop the internal things going on with hairloss. And quite honestly, at your stage I would say it's definitely a necessary addition to an hairloss regimen. minoxidil would even be a good addition. Getting on the big 3 asap is important if you want to maintain what hair you have and possibly even see some regrowth. Your young and you are catching it while it is not ridiculously late, so you have a good chance of regrowth! I would speak to a doctor and get on it immediately! Good lock man! Don't forget these forums and others, the men on here are here to help you with whatever questions you have. So if you are one of the unlucky ones who do get sexual sides, we will be here for you. Let's hope you don't though! Just be positive and appreciate the fact that your doing something about it and not just letting it go.

Thanks a lot for these words Nyhair19! I'll take it in advance.

I already ordered Fincar from inhouse and i'm going to pick it up tmrw at the post office cuz they missed me when delivering. Hope it is not a scam '-'
I went to a derm to ask for the price and they charge $160 for an exam or whatever stuff to do to get the prescription. dont know if i can get the prescription from any less expensive place?

I'm going to try the big3 as you said. Thanks God that Nizoral is finally back in the states.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
DHT is affecting your hair loss. It's just that Rogaine is offsetting it by making it grow despite DHT. Over time, however, the DHT will always winout. This is why an anti-androgen is necessary.

carrotbumzz

Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
DHT is affecting your hair loss. It's just that Rogaine is offsetting it by making it grow despite DHT. Over time, however, the DHT will always winout. This is why an anti-androgen is necessary.

i'm going to buy a pill cutter at cvs tmrw and start finasteride. Good me luck! lol

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
My advice would be not to start finasteride at all

Finasteride alters hormone profiles to be the same as 5AR2 deficient pseudohermaphrodites - that is a person whose external sex organs look intermediate between the typical clitoris or penis (google it)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... ds=1689740

It also causes cell death and atrophy of the prostate

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/81/2/814.abstract

It is now also becoming evident that PERMANENT side effects are very real risk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZ3-t7vJeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqDkI37CcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXWVTStnHs

Nuggz

Reaction score
My advice from someone considering taking finasteride is to take your time and read all the reviews from people that have actually taken the drug.

This means filtering through tons of post of people TYPING in CAPS AND COLOR!

Everyone experiences different effects and the effects can be devastating.
So just know that before getting into it. You decide if the side effects are worth it or not. Then again, you might experience no side effects as some people.

I personally would listen to those that have taken the drug only. People who like myself have not taken it, can just reiterate what we hear from people or read/ watch on news.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
I have taken the drug and consequently am now completely impotent at 20 years old. There is a negative review from me.

Manutd (good team btw) takes finasteride and does not experience side effects. There is a positive review from him.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I have taken finasteride and experienced side effects. However, I would recommend it to anyone to try because very few people actually experience sides.

carrotbumzz

Reaction score
Thank you a lot guys

SO i have been taking finasteride since today. A little nervous but worth to give it a try.
Just wanna ask how long to notice the sides effects of the drug? I'm fine with low sexual desire and decreased ejaculate amount but permanent impotent is really serious. wish me luck please!

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Carrotbumzz

There is currently no way of knowing whether a person is susceptible to permanent side effects. You have chosen to take a huge gamble. I assume you are aware that Merck now fully concede that persistent/ permanent impotence is a possibility?

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/ ... 054522.pdf

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=2002

Sexual problems are not the only thing to be worried about either. Finasteride drastically reduces the levels of allopregnanolone (a vital neurosteroid).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1683 ... t=Abstract

People that suffer from MS (aka one of the most horrible illnesses you can possible get) have just recently been discovered to have low levels of allopregnanolone.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... le2176500/

Some doctors believe that is the reason why post finasteride syndrome sufferers have cognitive problems.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
carrotbumzz said:
Thank you a lot guys

SO i have been taking finasteride since today. A little nervous but worth to give it a try.
Just wanna ask how long to notice the sides effects of the drug? I'm fine with low sexual desire and decreased ejaculate amount but permanent impotent is really serious. wish me luck please!

No one in any of the original studies showed up with permanent impotence. Though there are some concerns that there is a possibility for permanent side effects, it is clearly a very tiny number of people, and not a "huge gamble" at all. Less than one percent of users would be susceptible to any sort of permanent sides, and probably even fewer than that.

If you experience any sort of sides that don't disappear while on the drug, then just stop and anywhere from a few days to a month later you'll be back to normal.

AnberlinFan84

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been on generic propecia 1.25 mg a day for nearly 11 months and the only side effect I have even entertained is a slight loss in libido at times. Never paid much attention to it seeing as this can be contributed to tons of things in life I.e. stress bad diet etc.

johnbbbb

Reaction score
Only 2% of men experienced side effects from Propecia according to the double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials. The drug is very safe and very effective. It's your call, but look at the results of the clinical studies, not just internet message boards.