Need Help With The Application Of Minoxidil Liquid. 1ml For Everywhere? Or 1ml For Each Affected Pla

NoobQuestion

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got my Minoxidil, but my anxiety is making me crazy in trying to find the right way to apply it. (Album for reference: https://imgur.com/a/4HG2Z — it's hard to see under the surface which areas are thinning on top of my head). I can only really see the hairline and temples are thinning, but I want to use it everywhere just in case everywhere is thinning. Do I use 1mL over each temple, each temple moving back into the head, the full hairline, the widow's peak, the entire top area of my head, and the crown/vertex? Do I use 1mL per each area? Or do I spread the 1mL over all the areas equally? And if so, wouldn't that put me at a disadvantage over someone who is using a full 1 mL in just one or two areas?

Since I won't see results in many months, I want to make sure I'm doing this the right way, but there's a lot the guides leave unsaid.

What do I do, guys? Thanks so much for the help!

Fredie2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would put small drops on sides then middle then other side towards the front edge of you hairline in the front. Maybe a half inch in from your front hairline. Do small drops on say 7 or 8 spots with a small amount from one edge to the other then take your fingers and gently rub it in. Try not to use up the full 1.0 ml on this first pass. Then repeat. The 6 pack of Minoxidil from Costco (parkland brand) is so cheap that if you use a little bit more than 1.0 ml it is no big deal.

When you go to sleep and lay down on the pillow - some of it will move back towards the crown or back of your head even after you rubbed it in.

I have used it for 35+ years so I had some experience. Make sure you do it at least once every day and if it is always once, before you go to sleep. The only negative after all these years is I cannot use the liquid anymore due to the proplyne glycol in the liquid version. It causes my scalp to break out and scab. I am trying to migrate to foam.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
I would put small drops on sides then middle then other side towards the front edge of you hairline in the front. Maybe a half inch in from your front hairline. Do small drops on say 7 or 8 spots with a small amount from one edge to the other then take your fingers and gently rub it in. Try not to use up the full 1.0 ml on this first pass. Then repeat. The 6 pack of Minoxidil from Costco (parkland brand) is so cheap that if you use a little bit more than 1.0 ml it is no big deal.

When you go to sleep and lay down on the pillow - some of it will move back towards the crown or back of your head even after you rubbed it in.

I have used it for 35+ years so I had some experience. Make sure you do it at least once every day and if it is always once, before you go to sleep. The only negative after all these years is I cannot use the liquid anymore due to the proplyne glycol in the liquid version. It causes my scalp to break out and scab. I am trying to migrate to foam.

How long over that 35+ year period were you able to discern benefit vs just using it as maintenance medication (i.e to not go below baseline)

Fredie2

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long over that 35+ year period were you able to discern benefit vs just using it as maintenance medication (i.e to not go below baseline)

It is hard to say. When I started, Rogaine was very new. It was not cheap but the price came down. I mainly put it on each night.

I jumped on it as soon as I saw my hairline starting to thin just a tiny bit. I think I was 21 or 22..

At 57, my hair looks great. The front is starting to thin a little. So over all those years, it did a great job maintaining my hair. I am 100% that if I had not used it, I would have gone bald in the front back to the crown. I swear I only missed 3 or 4 days in all those years. The days I missed, made me scared because it looked like it was thinning. That sounds psychological but I think it is true.