Need help with alternatives

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on finasteride for 5.5 months. The first 2.5 were on 1mg, the last 3 on .5mg. Still have sides. Taken everyday like clockwork. SE's are like a roller-coaster. Doctor says DHT level is at 18 (supposed to be 25-75). He says to stop. I've held off for a couple weeks and it's still bad.

So, I'm thinking I'd better stop. What are some viable alternatives? I've been on minoxidil for a few years. 2% for about 3 and went to 5% for the past year when it stopped working. The jump to 5 didn't help. If anything it got worse. Should I try a higher dose? What dose and where do I get it? I worry about heart palpitations. I've gotten them before.
Try .25mg of finasteride? If cutting in half didn't help why should .25?
If there is something else to try should I stay on finasteride until it takes effect? The finasteride seems to be starting to work.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
rkim said:
Been on finasteride for 5.5 months. The first 2.5 were on 1mg, the last 3 on .5mg. Still have sides. Taken everyday like clockwork. SE's are like a roller-coaster. Doctor says DHT level is at 18 (supposed to be 25-75). He says to stop. I've held off for a couple weeks and it's still bad.

So, I'm thinking I'd better stop. What are some viable alternatives? I've been on minoxidil for a few years. 2% for about 3 and went to 5% for the past year when it stopped working. The jump to 5 didn't help. If anything it got worse. Should I try a higher dose? What dose and where do I get it? I worry about heart palpitations. I've gotten them before.
Try .25mg of finasteride? If cutting in half didn't help why should .25?
If there is something else to try should I stay on finasteride until it takes effect? The finasteride seems to be starting to work.

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

alternative: spironolactone, minoxidil and revivogen combo

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
You have it tested with your doctor. Test levels, estrogen, etc. Though I don't know as well as some others here, I think that DHT level doesn't reflect the scalp DHT.

As to spironolactone, it seems a bit messy and unfounded. I'm going to continue to look into it.

I think I'll try 0.25 before quitting. Some say it wasn't effective for them but I'm wondering about body mass. Does anyone know if this can be a factor in how the finasteride is processed? Also, does anyone think quitting for a brief period before starting a lower dose will help get back to normal? Or will 0.25 be 0.25 in the end now matter what?

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
rkim said:
You have it tested with your doctor. Test levels, estrogen, etc. Though I don't know as well as some others here, I think that DHT level doesn't reflect the scalp DHT.
Blood levels will not be the same as skin levels.

MJT82

Reaction score
I think it would make sense that body mass affects how much finasteride it takes to have results and side effects. I am taking .25mg per day and I weigh 145lbs. This is the only dosage thus far that has been managable with side effects. I've been on it for 2 months now.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it would make sense that body mass affects how much finasteride it takes to have results and side effects. I am taking .25mg per day and I weigh 145lbs. This is the only dosage thus far that has been managable with side effects. I've been on it for 2 months now.

So 0.5 and you still had sides? How long were you on previous doses? How long before it got back to normal? Have you noticed shedding yet?

MJT82

Reaction score
rkim said:
MJT82 said:

So 0.5 and you still had sides? How long were you on previous doses? How long before it got back to normal? Have you noticed shedding yet?

Yes, I started my treatment immediately on .5mg, to "ease" myself into Propecia and if no side effects were apparent there I was planning on eventually working up to 1mg. But unfortunately with .5mg I had very noticable tenderness/weird feelings in my breasts and I just wasn't willing to put up with it. So I changed to .25mg and after a while (days/weeks) even at that dosage the breast tenderness came back. But its not as bad and goes away quicker. I think my body is starting to adjust to it now. I have noticed shedding too. My hair definitely has gotten slightly worse since starting. But I also quit my previous regimen cold turkey when I switched to Propecia. So maybe the shedding is due to that stuff, maybe it was helping me and withdrawl caused it? I guess I will never know. I just hope I grow some hair with Propecia and at least halt further progression soon...

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
I know some people have had success on 0.5, but are there any users out there who have had success on 0.25?

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
rkim said:
I know some people have had success on 0.5, but are there any users out there who have had success on 0.25?

did use finasteride 0.25 for 16 months, no succes,
i think sides are almost the same independ from the dose you use 0.25-1mg, hair growth isn''t...

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
rkim said:

please tell me who had succes with 0.5mg...???

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
science-jay said:

please tell me who had succes with 0.5mg...???

I've seen a few posts claiming that. There's a guy in this thread:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... at+success

I have a bad feeling you're right about the sides not being much different on lower doses. For me there's been no difference between 1 & 0.5. Didn't notice much of a shed though, so that's good. I have since noticed a shed a few days after the 0.25 decrease. Maybe this is from the original 0.5 decrease finally catching up (about 2 months ago)? The worst case will be sticking with 0.25 and never knowing for sure if it's helping. I've already lost so much in the shedding phase it would kill me to give up now, worse off than if I hadn't taken it at all. Do those hairs come back if you quit?

Scaramanga

Reaction score
I experienced good progress with only 0.25mg finasteride 3 to 4 times a week. Solid increases in density, especially in the crown and no loss at hairline. I followed this routine for 2 and a half years. Side effects eventually overpowered the benefits though. Now taking only 0.25 mg propecia once a week, which isn't ideal, but is about all I can handle.