Need Help, Tape/glue And Other Stuff...

Newbieee

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, on friday i travell to London for my first ever hairsystem, custom unit, french lace... my biggest concern is tape/glue. I think that my scalp is really oily and the system fall of just after 1-3 days. Im pretty active ( few times per week running/gym/tennis ). From what i read, the best solution is tape, maybe for hairline as well ( i want semi exposed hair line, user Noah post 4 photos in thread “style ideas for 20 something...”, i go for picture no. 2 but little bit shorter )... can you give me advice which tape( strongest one)glue/protector/etc should i buy, and how much of those things i need for 3 month maintence ( there is no HS saloon in my country so i will be on my own )? I will stay in london for one week ( im from another state in EU ), best will be some shop ( amazon, etc ) with fast delivery ( few days ). Im little bit scared that the tape/glue just does not hold system on my head, its only one concern i got... what about maintence, its possible with tape to reapply front part/hairline when lift like when you use glue, or you have to put off whole system? I will be really happy if system stays for one week... its my goal. Thanks for your help!!!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, I have an extremely sweaty scalp, and live in Israel, where for most of the year it's really HOT!

I also have French Lace. In the beginning, a did a whole head adhesive bond (GhostBondXL). While it held, it was a super PITA to clean up.

Eventually, I did a hybrid, of tape, with a tape/glued hairline (tape is about 1cm behind hairline and hairline is glued.

That was good for an exposed hairline, once I changed to a fully-covered hairline, I went with all tape.

I do a FULL scalp prep before attachment. I shower, make sure my head is clean (and shaved), I use alcohol, then "No Sweat", followed by a generous amount of Walkers Max Hold Sport scalp protector. This is SUPER-CRITICAL if you sweat!!!

I tape the perimeter of the system, and I will also add a strip of tape, from front to back as an extra precaution.

The idea is that if you can keep the system dry, and sweat-free for the first 12-24 hours, you get a great bond, and then you can swim, work-out, etc with NO problems. I find that if I do that, I can even rinse my hair every other day, and still get a week, or more, with tape.

I have another post on how I do an attachment, if you can't find it, I can PM you.

Some guys use the contour tapes for the hairline to get a full-tape bond, as well as an exposed hairline. In my experience, it only works if the hairline density is rather high, and you get the tape EXACTLY at the edge (hard to do, sometimes). So a glue/tape combo may be the best for you.

I went last week (had days that were 41ºC), for ten days before re-attaching.

If you are doing a glued hairline, the fix for lifting is not so hard. You clean with alcohol just the area that is lifting, re-do the glue, and it should hold pretty well. You don't need to remove the system.

Good luck, let us know if you have more questions.

Steve

Newbieee

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive got sweaty scalp as well, if its sunny of course :D, but my bigger issue is oil/sebum... maybe its not so oily as i think but when i wash my head at morning then at night ive got realy oily scalp ( mainly in forehead/front area of scalp ).

Guy from saloon told that they try all tape at first, so i think i give it try, next time ( on my own )i can try tape/glue hairline. What brand of tape do you recomend? I read some of your posts so i assume walker tape no shine ( is it strongest on the market?)? Which one, there is roll, single strips, contour... ? Are you using contour tape for the back? And what is the red line ( tape )? Guy at saloon was talking about it...

Best/strongest glue? One which does not make white sweat ? I saw ghost bond xl/platinum/supreme... supreme is strongest?

For cleaning c-22? Or just some 99% alcohol?

I like idea about contour tape ( there is some 3 mil tape, but contour 3mm as well?) for hairline, but i think with glue its easyer to re-do hairline if lift? My unit will be 80% density ( im not 100% sure ).

Thank you very much for your help, its more stresfull for me every day closer to the D day, and im trying my best to not thinking what people will say, because i think they will notice, but solid hold/bond is more important ( its my biggest fear ) for me then some others opinion...

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will try and answer your questions 1 by 1.

1. My issue is more sweat that oil. But... I believe that if you follow what I wrote about attachment, you should be OK (based on accounts by other guys on this, and other forums.

2. I, personally prefer Walkers, after trying other brands. If it's "Red Liner", it's Davlyn. I have no personal experience, but they are one of the BIG suppliers (they also make contour tapes). I use contour tape for the back edge because it's easier than trying to get the roll of tape to fit, and also easier than Walkers mini tabs since the angle is not right. I use two different sizes (C for back, and CC for front).

3. Glue, depends. I liked the White glue easier to use than the clear. I used GhostbonXL because it's the best for sweating and heat.

4. Cleaning... I use alcohol, mainly. I only use C-22 if there is any glue residue on the lace.

5. I believe Walkers contour tapes are 3 mils. You won't get lift with tape, so if you can tape, do tape. Otherwise a re-do with glue is 1/2 an hour at most, once you get the gist of it.

Again, best of luck. and share pics... !!!

Steve

Caleb Morgan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will try and answer your questions 1 by 1.

1. My issue is more sweat that oil. But... I believe that if you follow what I wrote about attachment, you should be OK (based on accounts by other guys on this, and other forums.

2. I, personally prefer Walkers, after trying other brands. If it's "Red Liner", it's Davlyn. I have no personal experience, but they are one of the BIG suppliers (they also make contour tapes). I use contour tape for the back edge because it's easier than trying to get the roll of tape to fit, and also easier than Walkers mini tabs since the angle is not right. I use two different sizes (C for back, and CC for front).

3. Glue, depends. I liked the White glue easier to use than the clear. I used GhostbonXL because it's the best for sweating and heat.

4. Cleaning... I use alcohol, mainly. I only use C-22 if there is any glue residue on the lace.

5. I believe Walkers contour tapes are 3 mils. You won't get lift with tape, so if you can tape, do tape. Otherwise a re-do with glue is 1/2 an hour at most, once you get the gist of it.

Again, best of luck. and share pics... !!!

Steve

Hey Steve!

I’m going to doing an all tape attachment today, since I don’t have an exposed hairline, and honestly because it’s quicker and easier. My question is, what has been your experience with strong gusts of wind or any situation where your hairline might be exposed? Thanks!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Steve!

I’m going to doing an all tape attachment today, since I don’t have an exposed hairline, and honestly because it’s quicker and easier. My question is, what has been your experience with strong gusts of wind or any situation where your hairline might be exposed? Thanks!

I use a bit of product, so even with a strong gust of wind, my hair doesn't completely fly up. So, unless you are in a wind tunnel, you won't get a FULLY EXPOSED hairline.

It's also not like the hairline tapes are completely visible, depending on your hairline density, they may be totally invisible. And someone would have to be REALLY close to you to see anything.

I would not worry about it.

The only time it was an issue for me, was when I wore my hair pulled back, and the hairline was TOTALLY exposed. Then, I did tape/gue.

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have problem with my hair system (hairline). Now, I use: Ultra hold mini tape "walkertape")
my hairline after six days look like this:
maybe glue should I use for hairline?
because, this is a very bad look.
pls help. what would you recommend to me?

Thank you.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have problem with my hair system (hairline). Now, I use: Ultra hold mini tape "walkertape")
my hairline after six days look like this:
maybe glue should I use for hairline?
because, this is a very bad look.
pls help. what would you recommend to me?

Thank you.

I don't see any pic here.

Mini tabs are not really for your hairline, you need a contour tape that fits the shape of your hairline.

Without seeing a pic, I can't really help you.

Sorry.

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see any pic here.

Mini tabs are not really for your hairline, you need a contour tape that fits the shape of your hairline.

Without seeing a pic, I can't really help you.

Sorry.
link:
https://Asus85.cz.quickconnect.to/photo/share/D2Ewf9JN
hairline.jpg

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK, I see now.

I can see the outline of each tape, and they look like you may have placed them maybe outside the line of the lace?

These are the wrong tapes for a hairline I would try the contour tapes, next.

If this does not work, but I think it will be better, do the glue/tape hairline combination.

Reactions: rme

Caleb Morgan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a bit of product, so even with a strong gust of wind, my hair doesn't completely fly up. So, unless you are in a wind tunnel, you won't get a FULLY EXPOSED hairline.

It's also not like the hairline tapes are completely visible, depending on your hairline density, they may be totally invisible. And someone would have to be REALLY close to you to see anything.

I would not worry about it.

The only time it was an issue for me, was when I wore my hair pulled back, and the hairline was TOTALLY exposed. Then, I did tape/gue.

Thanks Steve!

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
because there's hair there also
I ordered the Ghostbond classic. I hope it is good for me.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
because there's hair there also
I ordered the Ghostbond classic. I hope it is good for me.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I DO suggest doing the combination method. Tape 1 cm behind the hairline, so you only have to glue the visible part.

Reactions: rme

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what I use, and it works well, for me.

Back edge and hairline contour:

Walker No-Shine CC Contour Tape Strips, 3 inches
https://www.hairdirect.com/store/attachment/hairpiecetape/walkernoshinecccontourtapestrips3inches

Perimeter:

Walker Ultra Hold Tape Roll, 3/4 inch x 12 yards
https://www.hairdirect.com/store/attachment/hairpiecetape/walkerultraholdtaperoll34inchx12yards

I also use, for when I need to fix an edge that comes up:

Walker Ultra Hold Mini's Mini Tape Strips
https://www.hairdirect.com/walkerultraholdminisminitapestrips

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

https://www.hairdirect.com/store/attachment/hairpiecetape/walkernoshinecccontourtapestrips3inches

Perimeter:

https://www.hairdirect.com/store/attachment/hairpiecetape/walkerultraholdtaperoll34inchx12yards

Thank you

flippyG

My Regimen
Reaction score

Perimeter:

How often do you take off system and re-tape BB? I might give this brand a try next.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
How often do you take off system and re-tape BB? I might give this brand a try next.

Personally, every week. I have gone as much as ten days, but I perspire, a lot. Many guys I know can easily go two/three weeks.

rme

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Helo Bald
how many days does the glue last (at front hairline edge) with Ghost Bond Classic?