Need Help for my 19 yr. old son

boyzmama

Reaction score
My 19 yr old son is starting to recede at the temples. My husband has a very deep widow's peak, and a line on top, with very little loss on the crown. My son who is out of the country is telling me that his hair might be thinning and following the same pattern as his dad. He was also sick recently, and I think that they put him on an oral steroid. I'm not sure if that has any bearing.

He has been doing 5% Monox for a long time, and I didn't know that it doesn't work for that type of loss. :( He has also been using Nioxin, which was bought (per recent reviews) after they changed the ingredients. Go figure. ETA: He has been using the Bosley shampoo for a couple of months and it has not made a noticeable difference.

So, I'm hoping that you can help me figure out what to do.

1- I need to send a shampoo. Pura or Nizoral?

2. Are there vitamins/herbs that can help?

3. Should I send topical spironolactone?

4. I will see him in 6 months. Is that too long to wait for an anti-androgen etc? Also, anyone know if anti-androgen will cause muscle weakness? He may play competetive college ball when he returns. If I need an anti-androgen, which one?

I do understand the causes of hair loss. I have dealt with it and read lots about it. However, I am not updated on men's hair loss options other than reading this forum. I am still not sure what to buy.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Leonardo pretty much summed it up.

Nizoral is good to send. I'm not sure how shipping pills over seas is, but you can always order generic finasteride online without a script and then send it to your son or have it shipped to him.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No it does not. The sides are reversible if they go to that extent with HRT. Over exagerating this condition is what made it such a mess to deal with it.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
get him on finasteride if he is already on minoxidil

Dam if only my own mother cared about me this much. I'm told to suck it up because people in another continent are starving

LewisHamilton

Banned
Reaction score
I would say at 19 your son is still growing and developing so taking Finasteride too early could permanently ruin his sexual function at such a young age.

Dikek

Established Member
Reaction score
"care" if i had to tell my mom at 19 to help me get Anti-androgen which in very rare conditions could stop my libido e give me a gyno "random" she would have punched me in the face
This must be your son choice under a Doctor prescription, fina it's not sugar

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
"SOMETIMES"
Does not means it will apply to about 60% of the population or even 40% or even 10%.
Their is a CHANCE of irreversible side. I don't deny it, but lets just not pressure the OP here. He could look into RU but its expensive and untested while finasteride IS tested and has a better side effect profile than ANYTHING on the treatment list.

wbz115

Reaction score
shampoos are a joke and a big waste of money. I have very little faith in topically applied things. Try pumpkin seed oil, pygeum and saw palmetto. GNC offers a prostate formula that includes most of the herbs, seems to work alright. still considering propecia for regrowth though.