Need Help For A Potential New Hair System User

Donjuan304

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 29 year old male, and I started to notice my hair loss when I was 23/24. My hair loss is slightly a-typical, as it started on my crown and is diffusely thinning throughout the top of my head. Although my hairline is still relatively intact, I have noticed that it too is slowly receding.

I have been using concealers for the past few years with relative success. Right now, no one can really tell I am losing my hair unless they are specifically looking for it. The diffuse hair loss coupled with the good color match make concealers a viable option for me short term. However, it is just that... short term. I currently use 5% minoxidil and have been since I first noticed my hair loss, and I have tried finasteride, but unfortunately had to quit due to sides. I plan on ultimately using a hair system, and feel like I am approaching a good time to pull the trigger.

As you all are well aware of, the overload of information, options, and people trying to play on my vulnerability and sell me things is daunting. Having said that, I have done fairly significant research on it, and composed a loose game plan.

I plan on ordering 2 custom pieces from a reputable dealer, and rotating them and reattaching every 2 weeks or so. I exercise almost everyday, and I want to get a French lace base with a 3inch Swiss lace hairline, as I feel like the combination of the two will provide a natural look with increased durability. It is my hope that I will be able to make these pieces last 3 months or so, and I have budgeted to go through 5/year. I know proper maintenance will be a learning curve, but I am committed to making this work.

I plan on using my natural hairline, and have created my template. I want to style it so a bit of the hairline exposed right by my part. Additionally, I have cut a hair sample so they are able to match the color. I want to use clear bond on the perimeter, and I want to learn how to retouch my hairline when needed. I plan on plucking the hairline as well.

Although I ultimately plan on attaching the system myself, I will need a proper cut-in initially. I have been in contact with two local hair replacement salons who have helped me through this process. However, I am concerned that my primary contact is a bit old-fashioned. It is the type of salon that does everything for the clients. It orders the systems, it keeps the systems, it maintains the systems, it cuts them in, and attaches them.

I had a consultation with them today, and the stylist mentioned that the bond they use attached to the hair, and that they buzz your head rather than completely shave it. I have been researching systems for the past year and not seen anything like that, and I concluded that this salon is probably not for me. I have contacted another salon, and plan on getting a consultation from them some time next week.

I guess my questions to y’all experienced users are: Does my plan seem like a viable one? What other variables should I consider? Is finding the right salon like dating?

Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The bond you are referring to is a "hard bond", very "old school" and I don't know of any colleagues that do it. The adhesive is similar to Crazy Glue, and should NOT contact the skin. I don't see the benefit, unless they don't know how to use other methods.

As for rotation, also, some do it, again, there are benefits as there is always a clean unit, ready to attach, so you don't have down time while the first unit is being cleaned, drying, etc. The negative is that you have two systems that require the exact same haircut, this is not always possible, and there could be a difference from unit to unit.

Another issue, if you order TWO units, and they are not right (shape, color, density, etc) you are now out of pocket for two systems not one. I NEVER order two custom systems for a client right off the bat. We get one in, make sure it's right, and then if so, tweak for the next order.

I don't suggest you pluck the hairline, if you are ordering a custom hair system you can order it with a graduated hairline.

Last edited: