Need Help Determining What Type of Hair Loss This Is and How to Handle It

MBS

Reaction score
So I’m in my late 40s, and for the last couple of years I’ve been buzzing my hair, usually with a #2 or #3 all the way around.. It looks okay, but I’m thinking of growing it out again.. I’ve attached two pics, one of how my head looks buzzed, where in my opinion it’s hard to tell i have any hair loss.. The other is from a couple years ago , in my mid 40s, before i started buzzing it, where it’s pretty obvious that i have major diffuse thinning (i think?).. It’s plain to see from the top, but not as noticeable from the front.. So my question is- If you were me, would you grow it out and say “**** it”, or keep buzzing it, or look into getting an FUE transplant or somehting similar? I’m leaning toward one of the first two options, since the hassle and expense of a transplant really turns me off... And please dont mention Finastride or any medication, those are completely off the table for me b/c of possible side effects, no matter how rare.. Thanks!

ETA: Sorry for the duplicate post, new to the site and couldn’t figure out how to delete other thread

Attachments

• 2904CA59-4E01-4745-9A06-B8186F67A002.jpeg
    2904CA59-4E01-4745-9A06-B8186F67A002.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 192
  • E83C6943-5336-4952-8353-C4F04E3D7AE5.jpeg
    E83C6943-5336-4952-8353-C4F04E3D7AE5.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 193

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe finasteride can fill that in?
"And please dont mention Finastride or any medication, those are completely off the table for me b/c of possible side effects, no matter how rare.. Thanks!'
Dude, I know it is free to type, but can you at least read what the guy said ?

Reactions: MBS

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
"And please dont mention Finastride or any medication, those are completely off the table for me b/c of possible side effects, no matter how rare.. Thanks!'
Dude, I know it is free to type, but can you at least read what the guy said ?
Ah my bad, yeah I quickly skimmed it and didn’t realize

Reactions: MBS

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I’m in my late 40s, and for the last couple of years I’ve been buzzing my hair, usually with a #2 or #3 all the way around.. It looks okay, but I’m thinking of growing it out again.. I’ve attached two pics, one of how my head looks buzzed, where in my opinion it’s hard to tell i have any hair loss.. The other is from a couple years ago , in my mid 40s, before i started buzzing it, where it’s pretty obvious that i have major diffuse thinning (i think?).. It’s plain to see from the top, but not as noticeable from the front.. So my question is- If you were me, would you grow it out and say “**** it”, or keep buzzing it, or look into getting an FUE transplant or somehting similar? I’m leaning toward one of the first two options, since the hassle and expense of a transplant really turns me off... And please dont mention Finastride or any medication, those are completely off the table for me b/c of possible side effects, no matter how rare.. Thanks!

ETA: Sorry for the duplicate post, new to the site and couldn’t figure out how to delete other thread

You will never know how that kind of hair loss will evolve. I will not get a hair transplant in that condition , even more, if you don't what to you any med.

MBS

Reaction score
You will never know how that kind of hair loss will evolve. I will not get a hair transplant in that condition , even more, if you don't what to you any med.

Thanks for the reply.. To be honest, i guess I’m not all that concerned about how my hair loss will evolve since I’ll be 50 yrs old in a couple of years, lol.. I‘m not quite at the point where I’m willing to let myself go and let nature take it’s course, but at the same time, i feel kind of fortunate to have made it this long without the traditional male pattern baldness.. At this point I’m leaning towards continuing to just buzz it, since people have commented that i “still have my hair” b/c when it’s buzzed you cant see the diffuse thinning.. Plus it’s just easier, and i dont have to worry about scheduling hair cutting appointments, etc.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. To be honest, i guess I’m not all that concerned about how my hair loss will evolve since I’ll be 50 yrs old in a couple of years, lol.. I‘m not quite at the point where I’m willing to let myself go and let nature take it’s course, but at the same time, i feel kind of fortunate to have made it this long without the traditional male pattern baldness.. At this point I’m leaning towards continuing to just buzz it, since people have commented that i “still have my hair” b/c when it’s buzzed you cant see the diffuse thinning.. Plus it’s just easier, and i dont have to worry about scheduling hair cutting appointments, etc.
Believe me , as someone who start to bald at 17, I am now 42 , keeping cause medicines , two bad Hair transplats, etc , what you are doing is the smarter thing. Just shave it, cause you don't even have the kind of nw7 look . Going into surgeries, then not available to shave cause scars ( even the best hair transplants leaves scar ) it not worth it .
You are Free, and you save money , time, etc, etc, etc .

MBS

Reaction score
Believe me , as someone who start to bald at 17, I am now 42 , keeping cause medicines , two bad Hair transplats, etc , what you are doing is the smarter thing. Just shave it, cause you don't even have the kind of nw7 look . Going into surgeries, then not available to shave cause scars ( even the best hair transplants leaves scar ) it not worth it .
You are Free, and you save money , time, etc, etc, etc .

Yeah when my hair first started thinning in my 30s, i was kinda bummed since my dad still has all his hair, and my maternal grandfather passed away in his 70s with a full head of dark hair.. Thought I’d never have to deal with such things, ha.. But perspective definitely matters, we all have certain things we’d like to change i suppose, but in the grand scheme i think hair loss, especially now when buzzcuts , and even smooth bald heads, are far more ’cool’, for lack of a better word, than theyve ever been- isnt the worst thing.