Need help! Balding/thinning and dont know what to do!

Bw0434

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys 29 year old and thinning/balding badly. Feel lost guys not sure where to begin. finasteride really is not an option for me I definitely don't want to go on it. I'm kind of up in the air with using rogaine as well.

I feel like my hair goes in weird phases some months feels super thick and some months like this is super thin.

I'll get a few hairs in my hands during a shower and maybe get like 4 or 5 strands when rubbing my head hard over the sink.

Attached some pics sorry if bad quality. Tried to find some bright light on the last one. Looks a lot worse in natural light under the sun. Let me know what you guys think first steps should be.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20210102-015524_Snapchat.jpg
Screenshot_20210102-015544_Snapchat.jpg
Screenshot_20210102-015604_Snapchat.jpg
Screenshot_20210102-015649_Snapchat.jpg

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok a few things stand out here.

1) your hair thickness fluctuates. With male pattern baldness you progressively get worse as your hairs miniaturize.

2) your scalp looks very red and inflamed.

If it’s been getting worse for years, then it’s most likely male pattern baldness. If this happened within the past months, it may be something else and you should get checked by a dermatologist.

If it’s male pattern baldness, finasteride and minoxidil are your weapons. And seeing as how you don’t want to try finasteride, minoxidil and keto shampoo is probably your best bet

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride 1mg every other day, dermaroll 1.5mm once a week, topical minoxidil 5% once a day. Better late than never, you'll get there.

Bw0434

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also want to look into going for a hair transplant or some procedure. Would I be a good candidate? Want to schedule and consultation this Monday

jazz1

Reaction score
The BIG 3.

Bw0434

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have a derma appointment but can't get me in until a few weeks. Should I start the monoxidle/rogaine with the nizoral in the mean time. My hair is feeling really weak from the pics and what I tell you would rogaine be something that could help me. I am interested in hair transplants as well

Bw0434

My Regimen
Reaction score
So went to the dermatologist. Said it didn't look to bad and just the early stages which is surprising because in the pic it looks awful but who knows. Said to not jump on finasteride yet he wasn't a fan of it it seemed. Said to start on minoxidil. Picked up a dr pen to use once a week as well heard good things when combining the two, Will use nizoral twice a week as well adn supplement some more biotin.

Picked up the liquid rogaine and just did it for the first time. I tried to put a drop all over directly on my scalp but it seemed to dry almost instantly. Not sure if i did it right. And do i apply it to my good hair as well or just the balding thinning areas.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For your question: you apply it to the top of your head, including the healthy hairs. Do not apply it to your donor areas, no need.

Good luck on your current regime. If your serious about saving your hair you’ll eventually hop on finasteride. Completely understandable if you don’t want to just yet, hopefully its not too late when/if you decide.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
So went to the dermatologist. Said it didn't look to bad and just the early stages which is surprising because in the pic it looks awful but who knows. Said to not jump on finasteride yet he wasn't a fan of it it seemed. Said to start on minoxidil. Picked up a dr pen to use once a week as well heard good things when combining the two, Will use nizoral twice a week as well adn supplement some more biotin.

Picked up the liquid rogaine and just did it for the first time. I tried to put a drop all over directly on my scalp but it seemed to dry almost instantly. Not sure if i did it right. And do i apply it to my good hair as well or just the balding thinning areas.

You should start finasteride. This isn’t even that much of an early stage. I would have told you to wait if you had some slight recession or only a little bit of thinning, but your scalp is visible under light. Dermatologists don’t care too much about hair. Once in a while you’ll find a good one but most of them couldn’t care less.

I wouldn’t start rogaine. It makes any hair growth dependent on it plus it’s annoying to apply consistently. Finasteride is a daily pill and will give you gains hopefully, and from that point you can choose to introduce rogaine or not. When you eventually do start rogaine, get the foam variety

Bw0434

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should start finasteride. This isn’t even that much of an early stage. I would have told you to wait if you had some slight recession or only a little bit of thinning, but your scalp is visible under light. Dermatologists don’t care too much about hair. Once in a while you’ll find a good one but most of them couldn’t care less.

I wouldn’t start rogaine. It makes any hair growth dependent on it plus it’s annoying to apply consistently. Finasteride is a daily pill and will give you gains hopefully, and from that point you can choose to introduce rogaine or not. When you eventually do start rogaine, get the foam variety
I don't know guys. I think I'd take the work of a professional dermatologist over a forum no offense. I don't mind putting this stuff on my head.

The finasteride you guys seem to jump on it too fast in my opinion. Yea I know blocking the dht and all but it doesn't make sense to block something that makes us men men. I hear sides like my balls ache and oh that's normal and all just doesn't seem to make sense with me.

Not denying the stuff works but I'd rather have a little bit of hairloss and still be a man and all then have a full head of hair and not

Gears4man

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man yes we tend to jump to finasterade quite fast because unfortunately it is so effective. However there are safer ways to take it.

For example, finasterade blocks over 70 percent of DHT, whether the dose is 1 mg daily or .5 mg every other day.

However, there are people who dose it literally 0.1 mg daily and get a reduction in DHT that is roughly 40 percent through their choice in Microdosing. This of course is good news because it gives the option of clinical benefit while saving more than half of your DHT, rather than only saving a third of it.

Now in addition, make sure you are not having something else going on such as inflammation.

In the meantime, it most Likely is male pattern baldness as these are the most common causes of crap like this in men.

You have some options as far as TOPICAL DHT blocking, but they aren't as strong as finasterade but are worth a try.

Look into making your own topical Zix (there is a thread for it on this site). (it is a mixture of ethyl alcohol, distilled water, zinc sulfate, and p5p). Many see maintenance or slowibg of their balding using this. It is a worthwhile addition to fighting balding and very safe too.

Secondly as far as growth stimulants if you don't wanna use Minoxidil, you can try oral castor oil at a dose of 1 mL per day. It is edible but take No more than 2 mL per day as it is a laxative at that dose threshold. Pretty decent at slightly thickening the hair.

Also look into rosemary essential oil as it may have some benefit in stimulating hair growth. I feel wothout it my hair thins out

As far as other topical DHT blocker, look into Alfatriodol, and Eucapil.

Good luck man.

Bw0434

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man yes we tend to jump to finasterade quite fast because unfortunately it is so effective. However there are safer ways to take it.

For example, finasterade blocks over 70 percent of DHT, whether the dose is 1 mg daily or .5 mg every other day.

However, there are people who dose it literally 0.1 mg daily and get a reduction in DHT that is roughly 40 percent through their choice in Microdosing. This of course is good news because it gives the option of clinical benefit while saving more than half of your DHT, rather than only saving a third of it.

Now in addition, make sure you are not having something else going on such as inflammation.

In the meantime, it most Likely is male pattern baldness as these are the most common causes of crap like this in men.

You have some options as far as TOPICAL DHT blocking, but they aren't as strong as finasterade but are worth a try.

Look into making your own topical Zix (there is a thread for it on this site). (it is a mixture of ethyl alcohol, distilled water, zinc sulfate, and p5p). Many see maintenance or slowibg of their balding using this. It is a worthwhile addition to fighting balding and very safe too.

Secondly as far as growth stimulants if you don't wanna use Minoxidil, you can try oral castor oil at a dose of 1 mL per day. It is edible but take No more than 2 mL per day as it is a laxative at that dose threshold. Pretty decent at slightly thickening the hair.

Also look into rosemary essential oil as it may have some benefit in stimulating hair growth. I feel wothout it my hair thins out

As far as other topical DHT blocker, look into Alfatriodol, and Eucapil.

Good luck man.
Thanks man appreciate it. The eod dosing or .5 mg looks interesting. Gonna look more into that.

I'm currently on trt and did a bunch of steroid cycles in my past with heavy dht compounds so I'm assuming that played a role in it as well.

Does finasteride have any affects on muscle building or anything like that??