Need Fue Advice For Top And Beard hair transplant

Viper5

Reaction score
So I'm looking for some advice on which direction I should go with on a beard and crown/hairline hair transplant. I should mention that my beard looks more or less identical on both sides.

I have been taking and plan on continuing taking 1.25mg finasteride daily, nizoral, and kirkland minoxidil 5% (topical). Many have called this the big 3.

20171029_220031.jpg
20171202_210538.jpg

For the first option my hair was pretty short during the consult (pic is more representative of what the doctor saw). Was advised I would need 2200 grafts for top and 1000 (500/side) for beard. This is for FUE using NEO graft. Cost is 9.5k.

My other option is based on a consult where my hair was a bit longer. I only mention this because I'm concerned that I was under quoted for the amount of grafts I may need. Was told 1700 for top and 500 (250/side) for beard. This would be done with ARTAS and the doctor is abhrs certified. Cost is 10k.

I know both doctors and the techs have many patients under their belt. My first option is giving me just over 25% more for a slightly lower cost. What I'm trying to figure out is does the ARTAS really make that much of a difference provided both doctors are competent?

As I mentioned previously, I am thinking that 1700 and also the 500 total beard grafts isn't enough to get the coverage I would be looking for but maybe the fact that he is abhrs certified means he can do more with less. I'd really appreciate some opinions from those which are more familiar with realistic expectations and aren't affiliated with the doctors office, thus providing me more of an impartial point of view. Thanks.

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Yes, I think you were under quoted for the amount of grafts and you would be disappointed with the density.

2. Forget about the beard - you need to conserve all your donor area for the top of your head.