**NEED ADVICE: Propecia failed, Avodart/minoxidil/nizoral regimen not working either**

Jay707

Reaction score
I'm currently 45, started experiencing typical male pattern baldness hair loss at age 24 and got on Propecia, got excellent results with no sides. At 42, noticed slow resumption of hairline receding, discontinued Propecia and switched to Avodart + Nizoral 3X/week. Used this regimen for approximately 2 years hoping for a turn around but still no results, so added 5% minoxidil Foam 2X/day for 6 months to regimen plus started using dish soap with regular shampoo to better control my oily hair (heard it also reduces DHT levels in the scalp; works great controlling the oil) but hair loss continues. No medical issues to speak of and no sides from anything to date. I've read very little about PGD2, not sure if that may be the issue for my hair loss rather than DHT levels given my current regimen. There is male pattern baldness on both sides of my family; my dermotologist says "it's genetics, nothing I can do about it." I'm not interested in hair transplant surgery. I'd really like some feedback from others on this site regarding my situation and possible alternatives to my current regimen.

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
You battled it out until you're 45, that's a great victory IMO. I'm 22 and in a day to day struggle to keep what I have. It's possible your male pattern baldness has resumed simply due to the length of time you've been on treatments, perhaps you've built up a resistance to finasteride. I'm not a doctor and by no means an expert, but that's just my educated guess.

You said you aren't interested in hair transplantation, but honestly that might be the last straw for you if medication isn't effective.

Jay707

Reaction score
Thank you for the post. I agree that I've been more fortunate than others with regards to my past success with Propecia. I remember being 24 when my male pattern baldness suddenly developed- very quickly I might add- and really feeling discouraged before I got on Propecia. I can definitely sympathize with your sitch anonymous. And to be truthful, at 45 I'm a lot more accepting of my male pattern baldness than I was at 24. Still, I much more prefer to have hair if there is anything I can do about it and I'm not one to give up so easily. So again, would really appreciate hearing some feedback from others on this site.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
18 years on Propecia. Wow that's pretty impressive. No side effects at all?

unfortunately your derm is right really. If the Big 3 no longer work then there aren't many options left. You made it to 45 with decent hair which is more than a lot of guys get

btw, did your derm advise you to start on Avodart?

Jay707

Reaction score
18 years on Propecia. Wow that's pretty impressive. No side effects at all?

unfortunately your derm is right really. If the Big 3 no longer work then there aren't many options left. You made it to 45 with decent hair which is more than a lot of guys get

btw, did your derm advise you to start on Avodart?

The only noticeable side was a slight decrease in semen, maybe a little bit more frequent urination but nothing else whatsoever. Regarding the Avodart, that was my call and the derm was willing to sign off on it given my long term tolerance to the Propecia. What I can't figure out is why my hair loss has suddenly resumed and why is my current regimen having no effect when it should be eliminating much more DHT then ever before. There are no underlying medical issues (other than aging) or enviromental issues either. I admit, I haven't gone very deep into the scientific research like a lot of the guys on this site so I don't know what other factors are at play beyond the DHT. Aside from understanding the most likely cause of the resumption of my hair loss, I want to know where to best focus my attention on with regards to the most likely viable future treatment/s.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
you're losing the battle against your genes. Ultimately it's all down to genes. And as you get older it's harder to fight off male pattern baldness.

True, Dutasteride is supposed to inhibit nearly 100% of DHT, so in theory you shouldn't be losing any more hair - but much of male pattern baldness is just theory, there's still a lot about the condition which is unknown. DHT may not be the only factor. Maybe ask your derm for his views.

all kinds of new 'cures' are supposedly in the pipeline, but they rarely seem to come to fruition

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
I only pray to have hair until the age of 45. If the big 3 don't work anymore, I wouldn't bother with the experimental stuff other than derma rolling. But that is just my take.

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
I'd really like some feedback from others on this site regarding my situation and possible alternatives to my current regimen.
Both T, and DHT, act pro apoptotic on dermal papilla cells; so, knocking down DHT alone may not always suffice and you'd need to prevent androgens in general to bind to the androgen receptor, therefore use an androgen receptor antagonist.

Jay707

Reaction score
Both T, and DHT, act pro apoptotic on dermal papilla cells; so, knocking down DHT alone may not always suffice and you'd need to prevent androgens in general to bind to the androgen receptor, therefore use an androgen receptor antagonist.

Thanks for the post. Yeah that thought has crossed my mind, I've read a little about one of those, CB 03 01, but haven't had the opportunity to dive in really deep to thoroughly research it. In your opinion, what's the best option available right now worth considering?