Need Advice on Hair Thinning Regimen

mattg817

Reaction score
I'm 20, and while my hair has not receded, I have noticed a considerable lessening of volume along the vertex and front and even some along the back of my head (I have seborrheic dermatitis, and these spots are where the inflammation is the worst). The odd thing is I do not notice more hair shedding than usual, so I think my hair thinning might be caused by the inflammation negatively affecting the follicles (possibly telogen effluvium) rather than true male pattern baldness.

I don't see any reason to start taking finasteride until I am convinced it's male pattern baldness. However, I want to start a regimen to take control of the problem now. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Regimen:
-P. Olamine Shampoo 3x week for inflammation and help with seb derm, also read that it can help hair loss associated with seb derm
-2% Salicylic acid shampoo 2x week to clear dead skin
-Multivitamin 1x day
-MSM capsules w/Vit. C(875 mg MSM w/100mg Vit. C) 3x day
-1000 mg of Fish Oil a day
-320 mg of Saw Palmetto a day

That's it. By the way, I can't use Nizoral because I have a bad reaction to it. Thanks a lot for any input.

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

What is the bad reaction you are having to Nizoral?

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
mattg817 said:
I'm 20, and while my hair has not receded, I have noticed a considerable lessening of volume along the vertex and front and even some along the back of my head (I have seborrheic dermatitis, and these spots are where the inflammation is the worst). The odd thing is I do not notice more hair shedding than usual, so I think my hair thinning might be caused by the inflammation negatively affecting the follicles (possibly telogen effluvium) rather than true male pattern baldness.

I don't see any reason to start taking finasteride until I am convinced it's male pattern baldness. However, I want to start a regimen to take control of the problem now. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Regimen:
-P. Olamine Shampoo 3x week for inflammation and help with seb derm, also read that it can help hair loss associated with seb derm
-2% Salicylic acid shampoo 2x week to clear dead skin
-Multivitamin 1x day
-MSM capsules w/Vit. C(875 mg MSM w/100mg Vit. C) 3x day
-1000 mg of Fish Oil a day
-320 mg of Saw Palmetto a day

That's it. By the way, I can't use Nizoral because I have a bad reaction to it. Thanks a lot for any input.

Denial LOL. But really, just go to a dermatologist, and find out. If you find yourself being your own dermatologist, going through old photos, giving yourself a constant diagnosis that seems to make your hair loss worse, THEN you're in denial about male pattern baldness. Till then, I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

mattg817

Reaction score
Umdace - Nizoral makes my scalp itch even worse and break out with pimples. Nothing else I have ever used has caused such a bad reaction. To everyone else, I have been to a derm about this and they did a pull test and everything and told me that I am not suffering from abnormal hair loss and he would not give me a Propecia prescription until they were convinced I actually had a problem and it was not in my head. The person who cuts my hair tells me my hair is pretty thick. I really have no fear of getting on Propecia, I even know a few people my age who use it and none of them have side effects. The problem is getting a prescription. If this regimen is heading towards failure, what do you suggest I do?