Need advice on hair style and successful regimens for my type of thinning

RCinNoVa

Reaction score
I've been thinning for probably ten plus years, but have not really gone bald yet. My hair loss seems to be stable; my pictures were taken in February 2014. Photo 1 shows that I have a relatively normal appearance from the side, photo 2 has a bit of a funky hairline, but I'm not too bothered by it. Photos 3 and 4 really show my thinning. Based on the patterns, what regimens might be successful? I'd like to think that I am not too far gone since this has been the level of thinning that I have had for a long time.

Also, what recommendation would you all suggest for hair styles? I’d like to have a crew cut, which I did last year. I got a lot of compliments, but my wife hated it. I talked to a barber at the Grooming Lounge in DC, he suggested that I should keep it similar to what I have, short on the sides and no more than 1â€￾ to 1.5â€￾ on the top. For a while, I had it a bit long in the front (approximately 3â€￾) and would brush it back. It seemed okay, but cut it when I got my crew cut last year. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 147
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 166

hairloss998

Reaction score
Your pictures are not showing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they do, my bad. If I were you I would start with finasteride, rogaine and nizoral shampoo. While your waiting for results I would use dermatch and toppik. Use a size 2 on the sides with a low fade, keep the hair on top a 1/2-1 inch in length. Style with low shine pomade and a low shine hair spray. First apply the dermatch on scalp as needed, let dry. Then style hair with pomade. Next, use toppik for thickness/density and finish with hair spray. If you do this right, it will look like you have a full head of hair.

RCinNoVa

Reaction score
Thank you hairloss998, I appreciate the info! Great recommendations for the regimen and styling, greatly appreciate it!

Am I Too Pate

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't go all out. I'd pick one or the other of Rogaine and finasteride, along with the nizoral. Why? You've obviously got a better chance using both, but why spend more and risk additional side-effects if you don't need it. In your case, since you've mentioned you haven't progressed terribly much you've probably got time to see what works. As to which you choose. Clearly finasteride is the true heavy-hitter. If you want to go out hard, then start there. Otherwise, start with Rogaine (5%) and nizoral and then add finasteride from there. Hope that helps. Like everything to do with hair loss it's both a matter of opinion and what works for the individual.