Need Advice/Help

Carrie H

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am 38 years old and have always had a lot of thick long hair. I have also always seemed to lose allot but was never too concerned because I had so much. About a year ago I was put on several medications. 2 of them are narcotic, for chronic pain, and one is armour thryoid. I was told my thyroid was really low. About a year after, I noticed my hair was thinner, still thick but def thinner, so I started to keep track of how many hairs I lose a day. I am still under a 100 usually, but when I wash I def shed more than I used to. I decided to get a copy of my thyroid tests and found that I was getting hyper off my meds, so I stopped them to see if my hair would get better. So far after 1 month I don't see any impovement, in fact it just seems to be getting worse. I am so confused and upset. I spoke to a Dr who does not think I need the medication for the thyroid but why would I still be losing so much hair? I run my fingers through it and always lose a few, every time, it is so upsetting. Does anyone know if this will stop? Does anyone here have any ideas of what to do next? I also take oxycontin for pain, does anyone know if this med can cause hair loss? I am told no but I have to wonder. I also wonder if my thyroid is part of this, or if this is just an episode of Telogen Effluvium that will resolve? I am using the nioxin shampoo but so far don't see much imporvement there either. How many hairs is normal to lose a day? I don't usually lose more than 100 but it seems that if I brush I will always lose some.
I am so concerned and upset it seems the more I stress the more I lose, but how do I not stress?

anyone with any advice please help.
thanks
Carrie H

Rapunzel

Reaction score
okay, i dont know ANYTHING about all these medications and how they are effecting your hair and your thyroid and stuff. I do know that an abnormal thyroid can cause hair loss. but, if youve only been off the medication that was making your thyroid hyper for a month, then i would give it more time. maybe it has something to do with hair "phases", which is 3 months or something. yeah, if i were you i would wait a couple months before panic. then, if things are still getting worse go see your doctor again and get to the bottom of this problem. gee, this is a tough one. i wish i knew more to help you. good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Carrie H

Reaction score
Thanks Rapunzel

I was wondering if anyone would ever respond to me. I did she a new gyno and she felt it was the hyper thyroid issue as well, so I went off it and now I am seeing a difference. The thing is that when I was my hair I still lose alot, probably a little over 100(but I always have lost lots) now though, the day or two after washing I hardly lose any, so I see improvement there, and by the third day it is starting again to lose more, so it is still having issues but does seem much better. I am going to get my thyroid labs redone to see how it goes.
thanks
C