Need advice for my husband...

vettegirl

Reaction score
My husband is 35, and has just noticed some thinning at his temples. He is devastated since he is very proud of his beautiful shoulder-length wavy hair! We purchased the Nioxin Bio-nutrients system, but he doesn't feel it is effective. Where is the best place for him to start...a dermotologist for a Propecia perscription, or is that too much too soon?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!

new-here

Reaction score

hi there , the best treatment would be proscar (generic finasteride) which is propecia but 5mg , you have to cut the pill in 4 quarters , to get 1mg..it is much cheaper than propecia , you can buy it at genericchemist.com . If he wants regrowth he can buy minoxidil 5% at minoxidil.com which everybody is using here.

good luck

vettegirl

Reaction score
Thanks!

How long does it take to notice improvement or re-growth? Is it dangerous for a healthy guy to start proscar without first seeing an MD?

I do apologize for invading the "Men's Room", but I wanted to go to the experts for advice. Now that I have my information I will leave quietly.. :oops:

Redbone

Reaction score
oj

If he is thinning he needs to get to a doctor and get a script for Propecia. The sooner he starts the better. Since he is 35 and is just thinning slowly I do not think anything else is necessary at this time.

keep in mind though that some a small percentage experience sexual sides from Propecia. He will never know unless he tries and he can always stop if that happens.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would also encourage him to use minoxidil in the temple areas, at least.

I have been on propecia for 4.5 months now, and it has halted my hair loss- no more on my pillow or in the bathroom sink, anyway. But just 1.5 mo ago I started using Rogaine 5%, and already I am seeing a LOT of peach fuzz on my temples, which is getting darker and longer by the week.

Rogaine kicks ***!! I love it.

As for the potential side effect of lower libido from proscar, I will explain it like this: I usually have a great sex drive that drives me crazy sometimes. I recall after a few weeks on propecia sitting down on my couch after work, turning on the tv, and thinking "I don't feel the need to have sex". It was wierd, and definitely there, I wasn't imagining things. But it passed within a week. So fear not.

vettegirl

Reaction score
Thanks guys..

I have printed out a lot of information from this forum and will give it to him to read.

He is so freaked out by this barely noticeable hair loss! I want him to do whatever it takes to make him feel better about himself, although I would prefer a few less hairs to "sexual side effects" :freaked: As long as it's temporary....

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score

The propecia should slow or stop his hair loss pretty quickly, within a couple months. He will probably notice an improvement in hair density within 6 months.

It does not sound like he is a candidate for minoxidil to me, thats mainly for thinning hair, or hairloss on top of the head. It wont do much for receeding at the temples.

As far as the sexual side effects, many people dont experience them, or they disappear pretty quickly.

He ought to see a doctor and get a PSA blood test before starting the propecia. Its a test that checks for prostate cancer. Propecia tends to screw up that test, gives less accurate results.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I gotta disagree in that I really think minoxidil 5% is producing something for me both at my hairline and on both temples, and already at the 1.5 month mark. I understand that in theory or typically this might not be the case for most people. But I don't think it would hurt the guy to try it in the temple areas/hairline, do you? I don't want to give advice that would worsen his or anybody's case and cause a shed. I am just speaking from personal experience.

Tonight I am going to try to remember to take pictures with my digital camera of what I am observing at my temples, and post them on my site. I think my digital camera can take close-ups, but I have to figure out how. Stay tuned.

But tell him not to freak out about it. Tell him to read up on it, check out the rogaine website and this website, as there are somewhat calming and encouraging videos to view, etc. Might help him.

But I strongly suggest the big three- Nizoral shampoo, minoxidil 5%, and propecia/proscar 1/4. Does male pattern baldness run in his family? I was under belief of the myth that it is only from your mother's side, else I would have taken measures to prevent it much earlier. Yep, I'm a moron!

Good luck.

Cassin

Reaction score
Re: ...

new-here said:
hi there , the best treatment would be proscar (generic finasteride) which is propecia but 5mg , you have to cut the pill in 4 quarters , to get 1mg..it is much cheaper than propecia , you can buy it at genericchemist.com . If he wants regrowth he can buy minoxidil 5% at minoxidil.com which everybody is using here.

good luck

Proscar is not generic finasteride. It is legit MERK goodness happy pills.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia never did squat for me in front. Continued thinning and receding for 3 years on the stuff never knowing if it was working. It will help some in front, but there's no stats on its effectiveness for the front (that I'm aware of) and I'd consider anybody whose front it helps as 'lucky.'

The good news is, I've had really nice regrowth and thickening across my entire hairline since starting minoxidil 'bout a year ago (could see it was working after 2 months). IMO, that's the place to start. I've seen a study showing minoxidil greatly or moderately improved frontal scalp coverage for 33% of trialists. And after only 16 weeks. With Finasteride, it could take a year or more to judge its effectiveness. With minoxidil, he may see results as early as 2 months(!)

If after 4-6 months on minoxidil he isn't seeing satisfactory results, then consider propecia. That's my 2 cents.

Best o' luck, Hair Warrior!

Axon

Reaction score
I wanted to chime in - if he's 35 and just starting to notice loss, chances are he will never go extensively bald. So that is something of an "advantage."

However, I realize the effect even a little hair loss can have on a man's confidence, and I sympathize.

Propecia is the simplest and the most effective treatment, though there is some minor potential for side effects. Don't take the hyperbole about finasteride making men's dicks limp and killing their dogs posted on here to heart, most of it is fear talking. I find finasteride to be a very effective treatment and I've yet to experience a side effect. I've maintained and recovered some hair, even on the hairline. Had I started 2 years earlier, I'd have a full head of hair today.

Minoxidil is another strong alternative, though the application process can be irritating.

Berserk

Reaction score
I do have to say that it is pretty cool for you to be helping out your husband like that. I hope when I get married my wife will be as helpful an supportive.

bombscience

Reaction score
Man if i was 10 years older and my temples started to "receed" i would be freaking estatic. Tell him to rub some minoxidil on his temples 2x a day and get on propecia if he wants to .