Need a Clay, Paste or Putty with Hold and Shine

HotHead

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been running the gamut lately looking for the perfect product to style my hair. Just a quick update for those who may be following: my hair is somewhat coarse, medium length, naturally wavy, black hair.

So I've tried Garnier's Surf Hair which has given my great volume and makes the front of my hair look so thick it's quite amazing.

The problem? It makes my hair too dry. It frizzes the ends, which may not be a problem if I shorten my hair, but I'm too chicken to do that right now. I need all the coverage I can get! Second, the propylene glycol irritates my head and I hate scratching and causing unneeded stress to my scalp. If I use it sparingly, it's manageable, though. I'm also not sold on the style. I've always had a somewhat wet look to my hair and that style flatters me the most. This stuff doesn't have the Hercules headlock, either.

So I tried David Babaii's Volcanic Ash Sculpting Clay. It also gives good volume, but it's not on par with Garnier as far as my front hairline is concerned. Still, it's very good though and the smell is like a heavenly vineyard. A bit fruity, but I like it. It has decent hold, but the styling effect just isn't there for me. I think the problem stems mainly from the fact that my wavy hair needs something that works with it and not against it.

I looked in the mirror today and was completely frustrated. So I trimmed my hair a bit, nothing drastic mind you, and then searched for one of my old hair gels. I plopped a big 'ol goop of Loreal into my Babaii infused hair, blowdried, styled and viola! A style I love.

So that's what I need: a product with volume, a bit of shine and propylene glycol free. Yep, this eliminates Amercian Crew Fiber and L'oreal's Putty.

Any suggestions? If not, maybe I'll just keep trying this mix.