Nearky 30 and diffuse thinning has accelerated

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
Your shedding on dutasteride could be your body's response to a sudden change in hormones? In your OP, you claim that you moved dosage up from EOD to ED. Not too mention that dutasteride is more potent 5ar inhibitor than finasteride, so the switch between them may have been significant enough to shock your follicles into premature Telogen Effluvium. I honestly don't understand how a 5ar inhibitor could cause further loss if it directly inhibits the molecule responsible for follicular miniaturization.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding and hair loss are different aspects. It is hypothesized that shedding occurs because the hair cycle gets interrupted and the weaker hairs are pushed out and replaced with stronger follicles over time. Being that dutasteride is a more potent 5 AR inhibitor and blocks both type 1 and 2 enzymes; the shedding that occurs on dutasteride can be far more dramatic than finasteride.

If memory serves me well then I started a thrice weekly dose (not EOD) of dutasteride 2 months before switching to ED in January. I completely stopped finasteride after switching to thrice weekly dutasteride.

For now: I find that my sideburns and the hair on the back have grown back (it worried me greatly during the Telogen Effluvium). The hair is thicker and darker. I'll wait for a few more months before switching to a more aggressive regimen. I have buzzed my sides and the back for giving the top a more fuller look. For now, I don't want to use too many treatments where it would be difficult to discern what has an impact and what does not.

Your shedding on dutasteride could be your body's response to a sudden change in hormones? In your OP, you claim that you moved dosage up from EOD to ED. Not too mention that dutasteride is more potent 5ar inhibitor than finasteride, so the switch between them may have been significant enough to shock your follicles into premature Telogen Effluvium. I honestly don't understand how a 5ar inhibitor could cause further loss if it directly inhibits the molecule responsible for follicular miniaturization.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding and hair loss are different aspects. It is hypothesized that shedding occurs because the hair cycle gets interrupted and the weaker hairs are pushed out and replaced with stronger follicles over time. Being that dutasteride is a more potent 5 AR inhibitor and blocks both type 1 and 2 enzymes; the shedding that occurs on dutasteride can be far more dramatic than finasteride.

If memory serves me well then I started a thrice weekly dose (not EOD) of dutasteride 2 months before switching to ED in January. I completely stopped finasteride after switching to thrice weekly dutasteride.

For now: I find that my sideburns and the hair on the back have grown back (it worried me greatly during the Telogen Effluvium). The hair is thicker and darker. I'll wait for a few more months before switching to a more aggressive regimen. I have buzzed my sides and the back for giving the top a more fuller look. For now, I don't want to use too many treatments where it would be difficult to discern what has an impact and what does not.
I must say your hair looks quite good at the moment from the latest pics, I don't see any reason for a buzzcut at all now unless that's the look you're going for.
I have 3 months supply worth of Dr. Reddy dutas but I still not sure if I want to make the switch.
Did you quit finasteride completely and then start dutasteride three times a week? And after 2 months started dutasteride everyday?
By the way which generic brand of dutasteride are you using?
Also, you previously wrote you were feeling depressed and didn't have any interaction with females for a while, well from your current pictures you look absolutely fine and I don't see any problems with your hair in terms of hooking up.
Best of luck.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll take a call post the one year mark. Might consider switching to topical finasteride + minoxidil completely as it is available in my country but just not yet.

I went cold turkey on finasteride before switching to dutasteride three times a week as the efficacy of dutasteride made finasteride redundant in my view.

The girl who made those snide remarks has since then quit. I do have a semi-gf of sorts. My closest friends are also women. In time I hope to do better. The brand of dutasteride that I use IS Dutas (Dr Reddy's) and there is a Cipla version available as well but I am happy with Dr Reddy's for now.

I must say your hair looks quite good at the moment from the latest pics, I don't see any reason for a buzzcut at all now unless that's the look you're going for.
I have 3 months supply worth of Dr. Reddy dutas but I still not sure if I want to make the switch.
Did you quit finasteride completely and then start dutasteride three times a week? And after 2 months started dutasteride everyday?
By the way which generic brand of dutasteride are you using?
Also, you previously wrote you were feeling depressed and didn't have any interaction with females for a while, well from your current pictures you look absolutely fine and I don't see any problems with your hair in terms of hooking up.
Best of luck.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible for me to shift to topical and oral finasteride? What are the potential risks? Would I experience more shedding. I have noticed weaker erections of late and it worries me.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it would okay to switch from dutasteride to finasteride. I am contemplating a topical + oral finasteride combo to keep DHT at bay. Should I stop dutasteride completely or wean it out slowly. Have been experiencing weaker erections.

Dr Reddy is more reliable.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, in my opinion you have minimal hairloss,just some thining in middle.Your hair looks very very good. You have no recession of hairline which is one of the most important things. Your situation is way way better than you think it is,really.Take that from someone ho is bald and can spot every imperfection,because I watch peoples hair all the time. You can hapilly live your life.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback bud. It really helps. I am probably being a little too neurotic about the whole thing.

Btw have you experienced any stringent sides with Dutasteride (original or generic)? How have you been coping with the dutasteride overall?

Hi, in my opinion you have minimal hairloss,just some thining in middle.Your hair looks very very good. You have no recession of hairline which is one of the most important things. Your situation is way way better than you think it is,really.Take that from someone ho is bald and can spot every imperfection,because I watch peoples hair all the time. You can hapilly live your life.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback bud. It really helps. I am probably being a little too neurotic about the whole thing.

Btw have you experienced any stringent sides with Dutasteride (original or generic)? How have you been coping with the dutasteride overall?

I had,unfortunately.Been 3 years on finasteride without any bigger sides. Now on dutasteride after 4 months I got serious sides -depression,brain fog,fatique, unable to regenerate after sleep and waking up just as tired as evening. I didnt know its from dutasteride until I researched over forums and people got exactly those..So if you experience any of that its from dutasteride.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that. In my case; had been on intermittent fasting when I originally started dutasteride. The shedding was dramatic and terribly frightening since I lost hair on my sides as well before I got back to baseline eventually. Things look better now but I find that my erections are weaker. Experienced chronic depression, mood swings more pronounced and brain fog while on dutasteride.

No tiredness and lethargy though. In fact I felt more energetic and my sex drive was off the charts, initially.

I had,unfortunately.Been 3 years on finasteride without any bigger sides. Now on dutasteride after 4 months I got serious sides -depression,brain fog,fatique, unable to regenerate after sleep and waking up just as tired as evening. I didnt know its from dutasteride until I researched over forums and people got exactly those..So if you experience any of that its from dutasteride.

- - - Updated - - -

Shall continue on dutasteride. Erections are back to normal.

Regular guy

Reaction score
Being from India my self I'm too experiencing the same situation as you!

My hair has thinned from my sideburns and from back of head and I don't know what to do. My hairloss has slowed down a lot but my hair thickness has been reduced lot

I have lost my Shahrukh Khan hairline.