Nearing 6 Months Finasteride And Worried

plzgrow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also in regards to diet, I eat super clean and have for years (limited carbs to only whole grains, high protein, healthy fats, almost no sugar) and i weight lift. I also got into the bad habit of constantly rubbing and pulling my hair, which I feel could have contributed to the irritation. He hair is also coming out from the back and sides, so I have so many conflicting reports that I've read of what it could be and I just don't know which direction to follow.

I have the same symptoms as you but the itching and shedding started as soon as I started finasteride. It has been about 40 days now but doesn't seem to be slowing down. Hope it improves for us. I will check in to see if it does for you or if it does for me I will let you know.

Fatherbalding17

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same symptoms as you but the itching and shedding started as soon as I started finasteride. It has been about 40 days now but doesn't seem to be slowing down. Hope it improves for us. I will check in to see if it does for you or if it does for me I will let you know.
Yea dude super stressful haha. Feel like I'm living two lives where I go out all the time and try to forget about it, then when I'm alone just frantically searching for answers and reassurance that my hair is going to be fine. Feel stupid about it, but nobody usually feels compelled to go on these forums unless they end up in the same desperate state. It's hard not to when you read constant contradicting arguments that people have indeed recovered from an itchy shed, while some have their hair obliterated. Most derms don't even acknowledge that a shed exists, while it is clear many have experienced it, which makes the situation all the more stressful. I would hold off for at least 3-6 months if I were you, as different hormones readjust from blocking DHT at differing rates. Don't cut doses or add and subtract just yet (maybe nizoral to help inflammation), until after this time frame so you know what actually works/doesn't for you.

Fatherbalding17

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just updating everyone on my current situation. My hair continued to deteriorate on finasteride, so I slowly began to cut back on my dosage in November until I completely got off of it in January. As I slowed down, I noticed my hair slightly improving, but now that I’ve stopped it is so much better. I now know that I definitely had a drastically increased libido, oily skin, itchy scalp and worsening hair (the dreaded “hyperandrogenecity symptoms). My hair is so much drier now, and my libido is returning to what it was before the drug. I also started rogaine a month ago, and my hair is quickly improving as it gets closer to what it was before I began the drug. What I think actually happened? I started taking finasteride in Jan of 2017, and the first 3 months I had side effects. Watery semen, reduced libido, and fatigue. I also found it odd that a mere three days after I started it, i got very ill for a week (which coincided with the beginning of these symptoms). My shedding was slowed down though, so I think the pill quickly reduced DHT in my body. At around the 3 month mark, all these sides went away, and my hair texture went limp quickly. I was shedding bouts, easily pulling hair from all over my scalp (back, sides, you name it) and even my eyebrows. Never was able to pull hair out from anywhere before this, and a slight tug at an itchy area would always take out a couple hairs. I kept on taking it consistently until the end of November when I started cutting dose due to people saying ride out the shed. It never got better. I think I experienced a Telegon Effluvium reacton to the systematic hormone change, which thr body cannot adjust to unless the medication is halted. My body overshot my normal hormonal profile at the 3 month mark because of the “shock” it receieved from the drug (which is why I suspect I got sick for the week after I began); and Telogen Effluvium ensued three months later (which is how king it takes for Telogen Effluvium to occur after the source cause it). So it anybody reacts like this to the drug, stop and see what happens. It’s not normal. For now I will use nizoral and rogaine, and add in a topical anti-androgen if need be in the future.

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mate this is exactly what happened to me quit after 5 months 2 weeks ago temples have shed unbelievably still easily getting leg hair and eyebrow hair come out libidos still high trying to not masturbate as I read that helps reset hormones or something like that just hope my hair comes back but this gives me hope hope it's all goin alright for u

Barry20

My Regimen
Reaction score
Mate this is exactly what happened to me quit after 5 months 2 weeks ago temples have shed unbelievably still easily getting leg hair and eyebrow hair come out libidos still high trying to not masturbate as I read that helps reset hormones or something like that just hope my hair comes back but this gives me hope hope it's all goin alright for u