Ne-Yo: I'm bald and proud

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
"I APPLAUD NE-YO for his honesty.

The chart-topper has followed up last week's unsavoury sex talk by admitting he's now proud of his bald head after years of wearing hats to cover up his shiny cranium.

He told me: "My hair starting [sic] thinning when I was 13. It runs in the family.

"I initially started wearing hats to cover up my shame.

"Now I don't give a damn.

"I can be sexy without hair."

Well, it worked for RIGHT SAID FRED..."

_42981445_japan_neyo_ap.jpg

ne-yo-mug-shot.jpg

Article: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... proud.html

Does Ne-yo have the right attitude? Is it time we all didn't give a damn and just said 'I'm bald and I'm proud of it'?

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes its hard to get used to in the begining

but once you can overcome it your life will be back to what it once was before its all about confidence and about your physique you cant be a fat bald slob

but you could be a deeeeeezed bald guy whos pretty fashionable

Nene

Reaction score
He doesn't look bad with a fresh shave I bet, looks bad in that mug shot with stubble.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not to be insensitive/racist but...he's black. Who cares?

Baldness just isn't the same for black men. Hell, I saw a 10 year old black boy with a completely shaved head the other day. Obviously he has no hair loss problems. For them it is a legitimate style.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Apart from the mugshot I've still never seen him without a hat, so I dont think he's that cool with it.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
since i am not black i don't want to make any assumptions on what it's like to be black and balding but i think i would be right to assume there are no black posters on this forum
but being black will change how certain things will look and the stigma of beng bald and black will be different than being bald and white

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Since his incident that lead to that mug shot, I've heard comments from within the music industry calling him a Clingon.

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
somone uk said:
since i am not black i don't want to make any assumptions on what it's like to be black and balding but i think i would be right to assume there are no black posters on this forumbut being black will change how certain things will look and the stigma of beng bald and black will be different than being bald and white

Well, Im sure there are probably a few.

But its pretty safe to assume that its only a few, and if anything, that proves just how different it is for white guys and black guys.

Ive personally resigned myself to hairloss. I just dont really care anymore. I know I dont look as good as I used to, but now ive just become apathetic about it. I mean wtf can I really do about it.

At the mo its still in early stages in along term kind of way so perhaps when it gets even worse its gonna be harder to cope with. Ie thinning on top.

But for now, Im ok. Well, im failing at life. But hairloss isnt really part of my problem.

JohnJohns1988

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwC5WE2FizM
Going bald is a huge deal in the african american community and you guys obviously don't know what you are talking about. That is a video of a guy basically making fun of ne-yo for going bald nonstop, can someone find me a video of white guy doing that to Mcconaughey's mugshot? Probably won't be able to do find that, because it doesn't exist. The stigma is a lot worse, he wore hats for years and was trying his best to hide it. You think getting a dirty look is bad? If you were black you would get insulted by everyone nonstop until you shaved it all off. That is why they shave their heads, just like white guys. And for a little bit of a "mature hairline" they will simply shave the whole peak off to make it straight. I don't see this being done among other communities. I think they simply aren't whiny about balding..since they had to deal with the stigma of being black all of their lives. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UnZZEwn1c

Boondock

Reaction score
Baldness is a problem for black males, but there's no denying that it's a different ball game when you're white.

It usually looks fine on blacks; it often looks weird on white guys.

I'm sure it's bad for him, but it isn't the same as it is for whites. We have it worse as far as baldness is concerned. Period.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Scorpiolove79 is black. But I've been called a skinhead on multiple occasions. Black people don't have to worry about that. :whistle:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I don't understand people who claim to be proud that they are black or mexican or bald (in this case). If you want to feel pride about something, be proud of your achievements and accomplishments, not something you have no control over.

s.a.f

Reaction score
So proud that he's worn a hat 24/7 for the last five years.

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
Trust me when I say, Black people have it just as bad.

At least when your white, you can have your hairline recede in the "V" pattern and still pull the look off with certain hairstyles. Us black guys would get clowned to death if we let that rock. That's why most of us shave it off.

I dont have the head shape for the bald look,...but if my recession gets bad enough I will have to shave it regardless even if i still do have plenty of hair becuase it just wouldnt look right.

White people have the luxury of keeping what appears to be a full head of hair for a longer period of time as recession can take a while to get really bad....first signs of deep recession for black folk equals shaved head.

qball01

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Scorpiolove79 is black. But I've been called a skinhead on multiple occasions. Black people don't have to worry about that. :whistle:

yeah, they have to worry about ACTUAL skin heads wanting to physically harm them (and not just call them names) because of the colour of their skin. They also have to deal with real, pronounced persecution on behalf of the many ignorant racist people that exist in todays society...stemming back from a not too distant time when they were beaten and enslaved for nothing more than having darker skin pigment....but thats nothing compared to the horrors of being white and bald, right? The taunts, jeers, heckles, smirks and stares that you supposedly get definitely aren't felt at all by Black people. You're the real victim...OH THE HUMANITY!

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I don't understand people who claim to be proud that they are black or mexican or bald (in this case). If you want to feel pride about something, be proud of your achievements and accomplishments, not something you have no control over.
:agree: :agree:

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^Plus don't black men (or African background) have different type of hair? One of my friends is South African and while he's part white, his hair comes from the African side and it's very course and somehow very curly even when it's cut rather short. So not the type to grow out and style.