Nano success

Swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success regrowing or mainting with dr. proctors shampoo and conditioner?

I know there are a lot of users of his shampoo but never hear anything about how effective it is?

Just wondering if it was actually worth buying

I know shampoos arent the main staple in hairloss... but considering these are growth stimulants was wondering how effective they are

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think most people here use nizoril rather than NANO

i don't think there are THAT many people here that use dr proctor

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having really positive results after about 4 months of using NANO shampoo. I basically use NANO 3 days straight, and then use Nizoral on the 4th day. On the days I use NANO I pre-wash with a cheap regular shampoo, then leave NANO on for 8 mins. I've had a reduction in shedding and little hairs start to grow along my front temple. IMO the only shampoo (other than Nizoral of course) which can have significant results... in fact I rank it up there with finasteride and minoxidil in terms of visible effectiveness as a treatment (for me anyways).

Swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
good to hear...

has it thickened up your existing hair or just leaves it the same?

and your not using the conditioner?

after i use nizoral my hair appears thicker... wanted to know if it appears thicker after washing with nano>?

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I use nano/minoxidil and have had some temple growth, not sure which is helping more though. Nano shampoo is really cheap too, one bottle has lasted me 3 months.

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped using conditioners about a year ago and haven't really noticed any change.

I find NANO doesn't really change the consistency of my hair that much immediately after washing... it might have something to do with the fact that it doesn't lather well. Dr. Proctor got tired of people complaining about SLS in his shampoo... he doesn't really believe it to be a harmful ingredient but removed it anyway because he got tired of explaining it, so there it doesn't lather as well now.

It's only been 4 months, so any change has mostly been in a reduction in shedding and further loss, and the appearance of little hairs sprouting along my front temple. I haven't changed my regime in any other way (basically was using finasteride for about 2 years), so I attribute this recent improvement to my use of NANO. I'm probably using it more aggressively than I should be (leaving it in for ~8mins, 5-6x a week), but since I'm not using Proxiphen this is my primary source for Dr. P's ingredients.

Ask me again in a few months and I'll let you know how it's going :)

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
where do you buy your nano shampoo from. Is this the "lite" one which is selling on amazon for $18.70 or the full strength one. What's the name on the bottle?

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get it at drproctor.com or hairlosswatch.com (I got it at the latter, because it's cheaper if you buy two).

If the NANO shampoo is going to be your only source for Dr. P's ingredients (as opposed to supplementing it with Propxiphen use), I would say don't get the LEF formulations and just pay the extra to get the full strength stuff.

JWM

Reaction score
Hmmm...the bottle shown on the last site you listed looks exactly like the one LEF sells. Last I recall, the type Dr. P sells looks different.

Perhaps you ARE using the lite version?

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
I actually checked with Dr. P about that. The bottles you'll receive look exactly the same as the ones Dr. P supplies, so it's the full strength stuff.

I think they were lazy to take their own pics... :salut:

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm there is a difference or that a lite version actually exists. it would make little sense, in business terms, to have 2 different versions on something that would be a very low volume product.

This was part of my post on regrowth:

It contains nicotinic acid N-Oxide which I think forms part of Vitamin B3 (the other part being Niacinamide). I know Niacinamide is used in some anti acne creams. Maybe I'm getting the function of the ingredients confused.

However, they say the Nano Shampoo works similar to Minoxidil. This doesn't make sense to me, so maybe it's marketing hype.

If it does work, you would think it would be by a different mechanism... i.e. reducing sebum production perhaps.

Can anyone clarify? CCS?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
billythekid said:
However, they say the Nano Shampoo works similar to Minoxidil. This doesn't make sense to me, so maybe it's marketing hype.

Why do you think it doesn't make sense?

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
from what i've read minoxidil is a vasodilator and stimulates hair growth by opening potassium channels.

whilst i don't profess to know exactly what that means, it would seem to me that the ingredients in nano shampoo would not do that and perhaps instead have some influence on sebum production (directly or indirectly affecting hair regrowth).

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dr. Proctor says that both minoxidil and NANO (nicotininc acid N-oxide) have a "nitric oxide" group as part of their chemical structure. He says that's what stimulates hair growth: they both are nitric oxide "mimetics".

but What about Today

Established Member
Reaction score
If people use the nano as a shampoo or conditioner. Shouldn't they just buy the nano conditioner because it stays longer on the scalp then the shampoo and its ten dollars cheaper?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always thought the conditioner is an under-valued and under-appreciated product, for that very reason (it stays longer on the scalp).

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright, the link for online orders on Dr proctors website does not work. So is the Nano shampoo (selling for $39.95) the one that may help in regrowth?

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
icdalite said:
Alright, the link for online orders on Dr proctors website does not work. So is the Nano shampoo (selling for $39.95) the one that may help in regrowth?

This is the one. BTW, the link ( which we do not control ) has been a little balky lately. The first time I tried it today, it did not work. The second time it did. Try again a little later.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD, MD

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
billythekid said:
from what i've read minoxidil is a vasodilator and stimulates hair growth by opening potassium channels.

whilst i don't profess to know exactly what that means, it would seem to me that the ingredients in nano shampoo would not do that and perhaps instead have some influence on sebum production (directly or indirectly affecting hair regrowth).

Most vasodialators do not stimulate hair growth. So it is likely not vasodialation per se that stimulates hair growth.

As you note, the ones that do tend to be "K-channel agonists". Arguably the most important natural messenger that sets off "K" (potassium) channels is nitric oxide or "NO", as in "miNOxidil". We do not know whether such actions are direct or indirect. NO does a lot of other things, so this may or may not be the specific action of NO that minoxidil mimics. Stimulation of production of cyclic GMP is another possibility.

BTW, hair-growth-stimulating spin labels such as TEMPOL ( which we also use) are also "K-channel" agonists, though their primary mechanism of action is likely acting as SOD-mimetics. See:

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/conten ... type=HWFIG

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD