My uncle says my meds are a waste of money

jeffsss

Reaction score
I was chatting with him and he's convinced that they're all a gimmic and that I should just let nature take its course :shock:

now this is coming from a 55 year old man who doesnt have much hair and obviously propecia and other drugs like it wernt out at the time.

he did the math for me and showed me how much I'd spend if I kept my current regemine for the next 30 years.. and I don't want to say I was shocked.. but with interest and other ways i could invest the money. it could be a LOT of money that could have gone to my retirement.

he's not trying to talk me out of it but he thinks it's a wast of money.

i told him we'll see..

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
how much is hair worth to you? How much will having hair get you that next promotion, or get the girl of your dreams.. if only through having confidence.

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
if you bought one coke a day for the next 40 years, how much would that cost!

If you're happy letting nature take it's course then good for you, if not get on what's proven.

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know your Unc, but it sounds like he's up for retirement and he's thinking about the money he could of saved here and there.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Withnail said:
if you bought one coke a day for the next 40 years, how much would that cost!

If you're happy letting nature take it's course then good for you, if not get on what's proven.

I am on what's proven.

I just hope to see good results and break the family curse of hairloss.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Withnail said:
It's the best and only way your going to do it in 2005!

how long have you been losing hair? has your regimine helped? have pics? and where did you get your hair thickening shampoo? you can get it anywhere i guesS?

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got no miraculous change round pics to show you and no great "Wow this stuff really work" story to tell you.

I was losing hair since about age 24 now 35. Until about 4 years ago I had no regimen because there was'nt anything out there.

Then I jumped on finasteride, and believe it helped stabalize my loss, only because I trust the science (testing etc) backing it up.

Just feeling like I'm doing all I can, which I like!

Crew shampoo, for me anyway is one of the best one's I've used. It does not regrow hair but seems to make those little babies appear a little fuller.
But it's no miracle. Available on the net.

SE-freak

Reaction score
After many many years of painful loss, you start mistaking the unfortunate for the inevitable.

tenshi

Established Member
Reaction score
I got on finasteride about two months after I noticed it, but looking back at pictures of myself I had been slowly losing hair for many years.

SE-freak

Reaction score
tenshi said:
I got on finasteride about two months after I noticed it, but looking back at pictures of myself I had been slowly losing hair for many years.

It's like an awakening, isn't it? I feel exactly the same way.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Withnail said:
Yep , imagine getting on treatments within 2 weeks of noticing.

so your saying you did nothing at first?

I guess you could say i'm fortunate that I noticed right away and decided to do something about it.

but I have yet to see if my treatmetn is going to work or not, so i guess i shouldnt get too far ahead of myself.

I wonder if i should get on rogaine as well or just see how propecia/nizoral pans out for a few months.

on a side note, i feel real bad for you guys that are worse off than me. every time I see someone with a bad receeding hair line I think to myself.. damn.. that could be me. I guess i should count my blessings.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Withnail said:
Yep , imagine getting on treatments within 2 weeks of noticing.

I did that! Unfortunately I was already very thin. It kind of happened in between haircuts. I dount it happened that fast, but my hairs were very thick so it was harder to notice the effects until it was "too late"

Anyway as far as the original poster is concerned. I think you need to tell your uncle that piece of mind is worth the 20 bucks a month or whatever you spend on your regimen. For me that is all it is and it is cheaper than it is to drive my car for a month

tenshi

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
tenshi said:

It's like an awakening, isn't it? I feel exactly the same way.

I feel the same too. I'm glad I did not wait longer than I did. I'm about to wat ch the Jones Jr. vs. Tarver fight on HBO. :box: :box: :box:

DjSap

Reaction score
Let's do the math and see what I will spend on my regimen.

Fincar $90USD per year.
Minoxidil $60 USD per year.
Nizoral/TGel $0 per year as they replaced my other shampoos.

That's $150 USD per year in total, over 30 years that would amount to $4500USD. Call me crazy but that is not that much money.

jeffsss

Reaction score
DjSap said:

Fincar $90USD per year.

That's $150 USD per year in total, over 30 years that would amount to $4500USD. Call me crazy but that is not that much money.

hmm. well I buy propecia from a reputable local legal drug store. $62 per month.
Minoxidil. yep, around $60 per year.

so I get around $800 per year. invest $800 per year stratigicly and over 30 years you'll have well over 50k.

not to mention the co-pay for my dermatologist visits.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
I was chatting with him and he's convinced that they're all a gimmic and that I should just let nature take its course :shock:

now this is coming from a 55 year old man who doesnt have much hair and obviously propecia and other drugs like it wernt out at the time.

he did the math for me and showed me how much I'd spend if I kept my current regemine for the next 30 years.. and I don't want to say I was shocked.. but with interest and other ways i could invest the money. it could be a LOT of money that could have gone to my retirement.

he's not trying to talk me out of it but he thinks it's a wast of money.

You never mentioned what medications you're using and what you're paying for them. But in terms of the stereotypical consumer of hair regrowth products, I tend to agree with your uncle. Regardless of whether I were to agree with his assessment of your individual situation, I think he did you a favor by pointing out the long-term expense of treatment. Not enough people do that, and the expense can really add up due to the indefinite nature of treatment.

Fortunately, however, the treatments with the strongest evidence are generally much less expensive than their dubious counterparts. It's the people who are paying for Revivogen, Tricomin, etc., especially when they're already using minoxidil, Nizoral, and topical spironolactone and/or finasteride, who are taking the greatest financial hit.

If you're feeling guilty, just look at how much women spend on worthless cosmetic junk. You know, the "Morning Rejuvenating Lotion", "Nighttime Beauty Cream", etc. That's not an endorsement of ignorant consumership, though.

Buzzing your hair. If you buzz your hair very short, the cost of treatment is partially offset by what you save on haircuts.

Finally, for some individuals -- albeit a very small percentage -- the process is a gateway to further education, something for which a price tag does not exist.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
DjSap said:

Fincar $90USD per year.

hmm. well I buy propecia from a reputable local legal drug store. $62 per month.
Minoxidil. yep, around $60 per year.

so I get around $800 per year. invest $800 per year stratigicly and over 30 years you'll have well over 50k.

Of course, that applies to EVERY purchase you make that is neither a survival necessity nor long-term investment, be it popcorn at the movie theater or a bottle of Rogaine.

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
but what if that extra hair you have helps you have the confidence to approach that girl or to get that next promotion or .... Could the extra money you make with the raise offset your losses from taking spending money? Probably.. IMHO its worth it