My success story and how it taught me to deal with it

themindscape

Reaction score
I was really not going to post anything here, I was like.. meh, I don't think I need to post it, but maybe it helps someone, I see so many desperate people because of it, that I decided to post it... First:

My story, I started noticing hair loss on the front sides of my hair near 20 years old, I freaked out like a little girl, I was going to do dreadlocks and I eventually and slowly started dealing with it, it was nothing majorly noticeable but I noticed it, and it affected me.

Years later, at age 25, it didn't bother me at all, I was even shaving my hair and not hiding it anymore with combs... it was cool, and then the hair loss hit me again, this time in a dread spot, on the middle and back of my head, I freaked out again, because this time it was noticeable.

How I fixed it: I went to a doctor, a dermatologist doctor, so I advice you to STOP surfing on the net for a answer for your hair loss, you aren't going to find any, see all these people 24/7 wasting their life on these and other hair loss forums? If there was a cure found by the regular, uneducated mortal in the science of skin and hair, it would have been found by the said users by now.
Anyway, go to a doctor, I did and he prescribed(sp?) me some drugs, minoxidil, avodart and after avodart some cistitone (vitamins that fight hair loss) and later on, finasteride.
Avodart made HUGE changes, I started seeing the front hairs growing back, those that I did not see in YEARS, it felt amazing, my confidence was back again and stronger than ever... I stopped taking these drugs because, meh, I didn't think I needed them... and I started having hair loss again.

Confidence hits: Again, my confidence was brought down, I went to a doctor again and I slowly came to realize, that it's just hair, and if there is nothing I can be doing for it, then that's a relief, that this routine of mine was just a stupid people pleasing habit, I noticed it in what I do and how I act, that I constantly craved for acceptance... I didn't use to be like this at all, well, not anymore man.

How I got over it: Learn to be bald, seriously, there is a bald lifestyle, only because you are bald, you don't need to give up, don't get fat, needy and stupid, continue working out, don't sit your *** in front of tv all day and stop taking care of yourself and be gross, like the cliche of the bald man. That's why no one likes them and thinks they are losers, because, bald men, in general, are losers, they give up, they freak out like if hair was some sort of happiness magnet, it's not, there are ugly dudes with hair just as there are without and vice versa.
Right now, I have still some prescriptions to go until I'm done with what the doctor told me to take, but meh, you know what? I'm just gonna grow a badass beard, hit the gym and ride my skateboard around still, and I think I'll be the happiest I ever was, because for the first time in a looooong time, my appearance will be my thing, not be conditioned by anyone else and what they think.

P.S. - Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, etc, they are bald but they do it smart, use your internet searching skills to look up how to pull off a bald look instead of crying about a cure. When the cure comes, you'll buy it, use it and have hair again, while it doesn't, start living the moment now and stop worrying about what comes in the future or the past. The past is a memory, the future, an expectation.
I won't check these forums again, I'm too busy, but I felt like this was crucial

P.S 2 - I saw a dude and a doctor selling drugs on a tv show today and talking about hair loss causes, the dude was a client and was bragging about how a hair transplant saved his confidence and life, I was'nt going to do it, but I step away from the computer and did look at the TV... the dude was pathetic.

Last edited:

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope you're prepared to face the ****storm of negativity that's gonna hit you. Your attitude is great but not everyone can pull it off. I'm happy for you that you reached that point tho. Good luck !

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Just shave it bro, it's okay to be bald bro"

Here, I made this for you:

http://webmshare.com/play/AxrRd

ahahahahaha!!! yes!! I love Daniel Day Lewis. I was just doing the voice with my friend on the phone today, "I've abandoned my boy!!!!!! I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD!!!!!!!"

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you're prepared to face the ****storm of negativity that's gonna hit you. Your attitude is great but not everyone can pull it off. I'm happy for you that you reached that point tho. Good luck !

and yes... get ready my friend. People are about to start sucking your happiness away.

rocklegends

Reaction score
I was really not going to post anything here, I was like.. meh, I don't think I need to post it, but maybe it helps someone, I see so many desperate people because of it, that I decided to post it... First:

My story, I started noticing hair loss on the front sides of my hair near 20 years old, I freaked out like a little girl, I was going to do dreadlocks and I eventually and slowly started dealing with it, it was nothing majorly noticeable but I noticed it, and it affected me.

Years later, at age 25, it didn't bother me at all, I was even shaving my hair and not hiding it anymore with combs... it was cool, and then the hair loss hit me again, this time in a dread spot, on the middle and back of my head, I freaked out again, because this time it was noticeable.

How I fixed it: I went to a doctor, a dermatologist doctor, so I advice you to STOP surfing on the net for a answer for your hair loss, you aren't going to find any, see all these people 24/7 wasting their life on these and other hair loss forums? If there was a cure found by the regular, uneducated mortal in the science of skin and hair, it would have been found by the said users by now.
Anyway, go to a doctor, I did and he prescribed(sp?) me some drugs, minoxidil, avodart and after avodart some cistitone (vitamins that fight hair loss) and later on, finasteride.
Avodart made HUGE changes, I started seeing the front hairs growing back, those that I did not see in YEARS, it felt amazing, my confidence was back again and stronger than ever... I stopped taking these drugs because, meh, I didn't think I needed them... and I started having hair loss again.

Confidence hits: Again, my confidence was brought down, I went to a doctor again and I slowly came to realize, that it's just hair, and if there is nothing I can be doing for it, then that's a relief, that this routine of mine was just a stupid people pleasing habit, I noticed it in what I do and how I act, that I constantly craved for acceptance... I didn't use to be like this at all, well, not anymore man.

How I got over it: Learn to be bald, seriously, there is a bald lifestyle, only because you are bald, you don't need to give up, don't get fat, needy and stupid, continue working out, don't sit your *** in front of tv all day and stop taking care of yourself and be gross, like the cliche of the bald man. That's why no one likes them and thinks they are losers, because, bald men, in general, are losers, they give up, they freak out like if hair was some sort of happiness magnet, it's not, there are ugly dudes with hair just as there are without and vice versa.
Right now, I have still some prescriptions to go until I'm done with what the doctor told me to take, but meh, you know what? I'm just gonna grow a badass beard, hit the gym and ride my skateboard around still, and I think I'll be the happiest I ever was, because for the first time in a looooong time, my appearance will be my thing, not be conditioned by anyone else and what they think.

P.S. - Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, etc, they are bald but they do it smart, use your internet searching skills to look up how to pull off a bald look instead of crying about a cure. When the cure comes, you'll buy it, use it and have hair again, while it doesn't, start living the moment now and stop worrying about what comes in the future or the past. The past is a memory, the future, an expectation.
I won't check these forums again, I'm too busy, but I felt like this was crucial

P.S 2 - I saw a dude and a doctor selling drugs on a tv show today and talking about hair loss causes, the dude was a client and was bragging about how a hair transplant saved his confidence and life, I was'nt going to do it, but I step away from the computer and did look at the TV... the dude was pathetic.

very noble outlook, and definitely admirable that you were able to get to that point. perhaps some folks are much earlier in the process, others perhaps still have nearly full heads of hair, and perhaps others still do not have the prerequisite capabilities that are required to maintain and assume the blanketed appearances of the names of a statham or a vin diesel. Overall, it really isn't for everyone, and everyone's dispositions and attachments to hair/identity are variable. At the end of the day, you chose your path and I'm glad that you are content with your decision. However, others will find that erring down this path was not for them, but the inevitability of this progression makes it so that it is impossible to reverse the process if indeed someone were to have buyer's remorse. It's definitely a slippery slope without a one size fits all solution.

The answer is to delve within one's self to determine whether or not they would prefer the small risk for the larger goal of maintenance therapy over the long run, and whether they hold substantial mental and emotional capital ties to their hair to the extent of using maintenance medical therapy to maintain.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes good for you. But please don't use Vin Diesel and Bruce Willis as examples - most balding men don't have their natural aesthetics. And I'm surprised you dropped Avodart considering it was working well and you didn't get sides. Anyway - I eagerly await Fred's arrival in this thread!

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A defeatist outlook on life huh. Well good for you, you made it work for yourself, you've been defeated by male pattern baldness. Great success story.

"If you're maintaining and happy, post it here! If you're regrowing and happy, post it here! If you're just happy that your hair loss has stopped finally, post it here!"

No where do I see if you quit and are happy post it here. But hey I guess this falls under "encouragement"? Encouraging people to give up on their hopes.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry.....let me understand;
you were having such success with Dutasteride to the point where you were growing hair at the temples, but you quit?...because you felt like it?.
Okay. I've had enough internet for one day

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score

This makes no sense, why would he go from prescribing dutasteride and then finasteride? normally it is the other way round where finasteride does not seem to work but even then most doctors are reluctant to something as potent as dutasteride off-label. Anyway this is all academic since you quit and you are happy, so good luck to you.

owever in my own personal case I don't think I would have got the regrowth that I have without spending my time researching as most derms will prescribe you minoxidil and/or finasteride and send you on your way.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How I feel about your success story:

[video=youtube;Rr2zQYC-lc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2zQYC-lc0[/video]

I finally understand the bird!! I love how it's plumage is all erect in a pure display of dominance as it knocks these over, lol

keep

Reaction score
LOL... there are so many silly guys here... who know best what's for others. If he's happy, then he's just happy. Well done themindscape, this is a positive story for sure. For you... the pessimistic guys, I bet a woman (woman - not girl) who has something in her head, will pick a nice, funny, positive, smart guy with a good/very good job and less hair, instead of one with a full head of hair, who's handsome, but not that smart, negative and without a proper job... with no chances to fulfill her dreams. If there's a woman who will choose otherwise, trust me, that's not the type of woman you want in your life. It's better without her. :)

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL... there are so many silly guys here... who know best what's for others. If he's happy, then he's just happy. Well done themindscape, this is a positive story for sure. For you... the pessimistic guys, I bet a woman (woman - not girl) who has something in her head, will pick a nice, funny, positive, smart guy with a good/very good job and less hair, instead of one with a full head of hair, who's handsome, but not that smart, negative and without a proper job... with no chances to fulfill her dreams. If there's a woman who will choose otherwise, trust me, that's not the type of woman you want in your life. It's better without her. :)

That's nice, but this is not the section for that. There are subforums for these types of threads. Titling the thread my success story does not actually make it one.

Be happy, accept it, blah, blah, blah...okay that's probably a Tell Your Story, or Coping with hairloss section.

This thread is off topic. It's not about optimism or pessimism or accepting here. This section is for those who are trying to get their hair back and want to read positive news on people have done that or stopped hairloss, not those gave up and are moving on.

pauliewalnuts

Reaction score

Good luck pal, to be honest accepting being bald and moving on is the cheapest and healthiest solution, much respect.