My Story

Darke

Reaction score
I will be updating this post with photos later this week to show my thinning hair pattern.

I am 32 years old. I developed thinning hair when i was 25 years old, and began using Propecia on the advice on my hair stylist. Propecia worked great for about 4 years, until I was around 29. I experienced zero side effects and my hair noticeably thickened on it. Then my hair began thinning out again.

I introduced Dr. Lee's 5% minoxidil solution into my rotation and I again had an excellent response to the medication. At the same time, I introduced Nizoral 1% shampoo. After about 6 months, my hair had thickened by an extreme amount. The positive effects lasted about 3 years.

Unfortunately, now my genetic predisposition to balding/thinning has begun to overtake the medication. I anticipate in another year or so I will start having serious problems with the way I style my hair, and in another 2 years I will need to shave my head.

I'm hopeful that the myriad of new therapies/drugs that have been discussed will yield a new growth stimulant or cure sometime in the next few years. At the very least, I'm hoping that bimatoprost/latanaprost gives us all a new growth stimulant to delay the inevitable for a few more years. I'd much rather go bald at 40 when I'm out of the dating game than as a single 30 year old guy.

That's my story, I hope it didn't bore anyone. I will update this post with pictures later this week.

KnowHair

Reaction score
I experienced zero side effects and my hair noticeably thickened on it. Then my hair began thinning out again.

Tabris... thanks for the story. Question: did you always use brand name Merk Propecia or did you switch to a generic at some point (if yes, which one)?

ding30

Reaction score
Hi,

let me know how you go.

I am in the same situation. 26 years old thinning then hit the big 3. Stopped the finasteride and just used minoxidil with great effects for about another 4-5 years and maintained well.

now around mid-30s and its all starting to go. trying to go back to 2x applications of minoxidil and some herbal treatments.

We'll see how the next 3-6 months pans out... otherwise it will be clippers for me :thumbdown2:

Darke

Reaction score
KnowHair said:
I experienced zero side effects and my hair noticeably thickened on it. Then my hair began thinning out again.

Tabris... thanks for the story. Question: did you always use brand name Merk Propecia or did you switch to a generic at some point (if yes, which one)?

I live in the US, so I can't get access to generic Propecia. I have used Merck brand Propecia for the past seven years, and still use it.

Darke

Reaction score
ding30 said:
Hi,

let me know how you go.

I am in the same situation. 26 years old thinning then hit the big 3. Stopped the finasteride and just used minoxidil with great effects for about another 4-5 years and maintained well.

now around mid-30s and its all starting to go. trying to go back to 2x applications of minoxidil and some herbal treatments.

We'll see how the next 3-6 months pans out... otherwise it will be clippers for me :thumbdown2:

Yes, I have tried to mentally prepare myself for a buzz cut at a later age, in the absence of new treatments or a cure. I am guessing that we will see a cure sometime in our lifetimes, but probably I'll be too old to really enjoy it.

At this point I'd just prefer to delay the inevitable for another 10 or so years.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
So basically, you maintained your hair for 7 years by taking Propecia for 4 years and then adding minoxidil as well? As a thinning NW2 30 year old, I would take that. How bad was your hair when you first started using Propecia?

Darke

Reaction score
My hair wasn't "bad", it was starting to thin out on the crown and the very front of the head. It was noticeable under regular lighting.

7 years later, and my hair is starting to thin out again. I'm hoping to find something else to add to the regimen to delay the inevitable for another few years.

ding30

Reaction score
Tabris,

Seems I'm exactly the same as you.

I wasn't 'that' bad at 26-27 but receding quite a bit in my temples and thinning at the front and on the crown.

minoxidil really really worked for me all these years. I was on 7% + ret acid, however just on the standard 5% now.

Doesn't seem to work as well anymore.