My story with Finasteride and Nizoral 2%

gte

Reaction score
I wanted to chronicle my hair loss treatment. I started using Rogaine in March for the upper temporal part of my hairline, and decided at that point to use it on my front hairline and crown, even though I didn't really notice any thinning there. Unfortunately for me, the Rogaine severely thinned out my front hairline/crown area (to what you see in the pictures, see before picture for reference) and so I've stopped using it. Hopefully, to counteract the damage done by Rogaine I've started Finasteride and Nizoral. This post will chronicle the battle, whether I succeed or fail.

Last week I started on 1.25mg of Finasteride and Nizoral 2%.

I bought the 5mg Finasteride from Walmart through a perscription, it's about $45 for ninety 5mg pills, of which I then split into 1/4's

finasteride1.jpg

I bought two 100ml bottles of the Nizoral 2% from http://www.pharmcom.com/buy_nizoral_shampoo_online.html for $29.95 + $10 shipping (from Australia)

nizoral1.jpg

Hair from about a year ago before Rogaine

hairbeforerogaine.jpg

Here are some pictures of my hair before it gets cut, so on the longer side. I am planning to get it cut today and I'll append this post with the same types of pictures with my hair shorter.

Front long (hair wet)

beginningfrontviewwet.png

Top long (hair wet)

beginningtopviewwet.png

Front long (hair dryed)

beginningfrontviewdry.png

Top long (hair dryed)

beginningtopviewdry.png

-------

Front short (hair wet)

hairfrontwetshort1.jpg

Top short (hair wet)

hairtopwetshort1.jpg

Front short (hair dryed)

hairfrontdryshort1.jpg

Top short (hair dryed)

hairtopdryshort1.jpg

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whoa! Did minoxidil do that?

:shock:

Def stick with Finasteride for a year, Nizoral is a good anti-androgen shampoo, albeit very mild. Good luck, hopefully your hair goes back to baseline, seems Rogaine really thinned you out.

gte

Reaction score
Yes I believe so. I edited/posted a picture from before Rogaine (about a year ago, maybe a year and a few months) at the top of my previous post, to compare.
Whoa! Did minoxidil do that? :shock:Def stick with Finasteride for a year, Nizoral is a good anti-androgen shampoo, albeit very mild. Good luck, hopefully your hair goes back to baseline, seems Rogaine really thinned you out.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Had similar with Propecia at a week away from month 11. :( Still no signs of a return to baseline. **** isn't it, all this shedding?

gte

Reaction score
Update after 1 month (hair is longer from 1 months growth).

I've been taking 1.25mg of Finasteride each night and washing my hair with Nizoral 2 times a week (is there a good conditioner if any, to use with Nizoral?)

I don't really see any progress yet, but I'm praying Finasteride will restore what Minoxidil took.

Front medium length (hair wet)

hairfrontwet2.jpg

Top medium length (hair wet)

hairtopwet2.jpg

Back medium length (hair wet)

hairbackwet2.jpg

Front medium length (hair dry)

hairfrontdry2.jpg

Top medium length (hair dry)

hairtopdry2.jpg

Back medium length (hair dry)

hairbackdry2.jpg

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
i've heard horror stories about minoxidil like this before. It's one of the reasons I've always been reluctant to use it.

stick with the finasteride and maybe try some other stimulating topicals like Tricomin - you never know they might help. good luck!

gte

Reaction score
So here is a 1 year update:

I think I have been able to reverse most of the damage that Monoxidil has done by taking Finasteride and using the 2% Nizoral Shampoo with the and I would never recommend Monoxidil to anyone. You can see how thinned it was in the 11/04/12 pictures and compared to the pictures from a few days ago at the bottom and there is a noticeable difference and overall I'm happy. I'm going to keep taking the Finasteride as I think it is helping.

Here is my hair long and wet

IMAG1047s.jpg

IMAG1049s.jpg

IMAG1050s.jpg

IMAG1051s.jpg

Here is my hair dry and wet

IMAG1052s.jpg

IMAG1053s.jpg

IMAG1054s.jpg

IMAG1055s.jpg

And here it is after I got it cut, dry (I forgot wet pics, but will get short/wet pics soon)

20140329_210026s.jpg

20140329_210031s.jpg

20140329_210118s.jpg

kiwixx

Reaction score
Man those are good results! But it's crazy what minoxidil did to your hair .. You scared me now haha!
I just started minoxidil on my temples/frontline

niketan237

Reaction score
As per pictures you got good result but do you know side effects of finasteride, check your sperm count...you ll get idea.