My Story: Minoxidil And Other Treatments

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!!

I just wanted to share my story. I am currently at the very beginning of my hair loss treatment and I wanted to my journey .

I am 28 year old female and while I have Never had thick hair it was never an issue. The last 6 years I have watched my hair drastically thin! As of today I see thinning on the middle front and on the sides near my temples and just overall thin hair. As everyone here knows, it is utterly disheartening! This last year I have been researching hair loss causes and all the possible reasons/treatments. Thread after thread! Just lots of crying and drinking wine while researching haha!
The only person in my family that has hair loss is my grandmother who has permed her hair her whole life. But it does look like female pattern baldness so I am definitely worried that might be my case.

Here is what I have done thus far:

Blood work:
I went to the doctors in the fall and had a full physical and my blood work done. Thyroid checks out just fine and I am Not anemic. Essentially my doctor said everything looks normal. I am considering getting my ferritin checked as she did not check that but I take iron supplement just in case. I also read about hormonal imbalances and hair loss and I thought about getting blood work to check that (estrogen, testosterone, FSH, Dhea etc etc), however, I don't think I have an imbalance. I feel fine and I have never been pregnant/have children and I don't take birth control.

Diet/supplements:
I take viviscal hair supplement which has iron in it, I take fish oil, biotin, b12, calcium and women's multi daily. I am pretty fit, I eat healthy and excersize 3/4 times a week. I have recently incorporated more protein in my diet as I have read that is essential to hair growth. (48 grams a day).

Little side story about my health. I have been taking adderall for 8 years. Same time my hair probably started it's creeping journey into thinness! I also lost some weight these last two years and was in a pretty bad relationship for 4 years. Lots of stress ! Anyways I have stopped taking the adderall (and the relationship)as of Two months ago after reading
Forums of hair loss side effects and reading medical websites that say it is a side effect but not too common! Anyone else know anything or have had hair growth after getting off adderall?

Dermatologist:
I saw a dermatologist who to be honest was not very helpful. She told me to use nizoral shampoo and wait 6 months to see if stopping the adderall fixes the problem. She said it could be telogen effluvium from the adderall Or the beginnings of FPHL. Thanks for the help, Doctor! I am thinking about seeing another to get a second opinion or maybe a scalp biopsy. However, I have read that they are not always conclusive. I'm still thinking about it and if it's worth it. I just want to know for sure what the heck is going on!

Treatment:

Shampoo: I just started using nizoral 2% 2x a week. I also just ordered Ultrax Lab Hair surge hair loss shampoo after reading good reviews. It has caffeinated compounds, ketocanazole and saw palmetto to help block DHT. I am also thinking about buying a DHT blocking supplement to help as well.
Anyone have luck with that?

Minoxidil: I just started as of last week rogaine 5% foam once a day. No side effects so far. Some shedding still happening but I hope in a month that will discontinue. I'm really hoping this works! I've read that some have had great results.

I also ordered Irestore hair growth laser. So friggin expensive but I'm pulling out all the stops! Go big or go home!! I will be broke by the end of this journey lol. I get it next week.

I know how frustrating and upsetting all this is. I hope all that I am doing will help in my hair loss journey and make me feel happy again. I promise to update on my journey in three to six months. Pray for me, beautiful friends! I send out my good vibes to you as well!

Please let me know how minoxidil worked for you. If I should use a topical DHT inhibitor with the rogaine. If anyone has stopped adderall and had their hair loss stop or hair growth. If DHT Blocking supplements work. Anyone take anti androgen medication? Side effects? Has anyone had great results with laser hair treatment and iRestore? Also I am not here to promote any products just being honest with what I am doing to help stop the shedding and regrow what I have lost

Thanks

**hugs**

Avania

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I empathise with you - I'm 24 and it sucks to see your hair go so soon. But press on! :)

I started minoxidil about the same time I started Diane-35, so I don't know what to attribute the maintenance of my hair too. Minoxidil made me grow a lot of fine vellus hairs, especially in the temple areas, but they didn't necessary turn terminal. I have a feeling Diane was doing most of the heavy lifting. Anyhow, the combination worked well for 3.5 years.

Now I've added finasteride, because I'm losing hair again and I felt like I needed to incorporate an anti-androgen into my regimen. I might start on spironolactone soon if things don't look up. Women are often prescribed spironolactone for its anti-androgenic effects, so that might be something you want to look into in the future.

Don't stop using the minoxidil, though! A lot of people have had really good regrowth with it (and, unlike me, have had vellus hairs turn more or less terminal).

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I empathise with you - I'm 24 and it sucks to see your hair go so soon. But press on! :)

I started minoxidil about the same time I started Diane-35, so I don't know what to attribute the maintenance of my hair too. Minoxidil made me grow a lot of fine vellus hairs, especially in the temple areas, but they didn't necessary turn terminal. I have a feeling Diane was doing most of the heavy lifting. Anyhow, the combination worked well for 3.5 years.

Now I've added finasteride, because I'm losing hair again and I felt like I needed to incorporate an anti-androgen into my regimen. I might start on spironolactone soon if things don't look up. Women are often prescribed spironolactone for its anti-androgenic effects, so that might be something you want to look into in the future.

Don't stop using the minoxidil, though! A lot of people have had really good regrowth with it (and, unlike me, have had vellus hairs turn more or less terminal).

Thank you, Avania!

I have just started the dreaded shed from the minoxidil! Did you experience this as well? It is a bit disconcerting but I've read that the shed can actually be a good sign as the thinner weak hairs are being pushed out and that it will start the Anagen growing phase. However, all the hair that is falling out in my fingers is terrifying and I am seeing some thinner spots on the crown where I put the medication. :/

What is Diane-35? A birth control?

I am actually at the doctors now and am thinking about anti-androgens. However I am not sure I'm ready for it. Maybe I'll wait and see how the minoxidil and the LLLT helmet work. I wish 6 months would fly by!

Thanks again for your kind words!

Avania

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you, Avania!

I have just started the dreaded shed from the minoxidil! Did you experience this as well? It is a bit disconcerting but I've read that the shed can actually be a good sign as the thinner weak hairs are being pushed out and that it will start the Anagen growing phase. However, all the hair that is falling out in my fingers is terrifying and I am seeing some thinner spots on the crown where I put the medication. :/

What is Diane-35? A birth control?

I am actually at the doctors now and am thinking about anti-androgens. However I am not sure I'm ready for it. Maybe I'll wait and see how the minoxidil and the LLLT helmet work. I wish 6 months would fly by!

Thanks again for your kind words!

I never actually really shed on minoxidil - I'm generally not much of a shedder, though. But yes, it's pretty normal for the hair to thin slightly in the areas you've begun using the medication! I noticed more short, fine hairs falling when I first got on minoxidil.

Yep, Diane's a birth control pill. The cyproterone acetate in it (an anti-androgen, I think) REALLY benefited my hair for a few years.

Adding an anti-androgen would be a wise thing to do if your hair gets worse over time - for now, I really hope the minoxidil works for you! All the best. :)

VirginiaTX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!!

I just wanted to share my story. I am currently at the very beginning of my hair loss treatment and I wanted to my journey .

I am 28 year old female and while I have Never had thick hair it was never an issue. The last 6 years I have watched my hair drastically thin! As of today I see thinning on the middle front and on the sides near my temples and just overall thin hair. As everyone here knows, it is utterly disheartening! This last year I have been researching hair loss causes and all the possible reasons/treatments. Thread after thread! Just lots of crying and drinking wine while researching haha!
The only person in my family that has hair loss is my grandmother who has permed her hair her whole life. But it does look like female pattern baldness so I am definitely worried that might be my case.

Here is what I have done thus far:

Blood work:
I went to the doctors in the fall and had a full physical and my blood work done. Thyroid checks out just fine and I am Not anemic. Essentially my doctor said everything looks normal. I am considering getting my ferritin checked as she did not check that but I take iron supplement just in case. I also read about hormonal imbalances and hair loss and I thought about getting blood work to check that (estrogen, testosterone, FSH, Dhea etc etc), however, I don't think I have an imbalance. I feel fine and I have never been pregnant/have children and I don't take birth control.

Diet/supplements:
I take viviscal hair supplement which has iron in it, I take fish oil, biotin, b12, calcium and women's multi daily. I am pretty fit, I eat healthy and excersize 3/4 times a week. I have recently incorporated more protein in my diet as I have read that is essential to hair growth. (48 grams a day).

Little side story about my health. I have been taking adderall for 8 years. Same time my hair probably started it's creeping journey into thinness! I also lost some weight these last two years and was in a pretty bad relationship for 4 years. Lots of stress ! Anyways I have stopped taking the adderall (and the relationship)as of Two months ago after reading
Forums of hair loss side effects and reading medical websites that say it is a side effect but not too common! Anyone else know anything or have had hair growth after getting off adderall?

Dermatologist:
I saw a dermatologist who to be honest was not very helpful. She told me to use nizoral shampoo and wait 6 months to see if stopping the adderall fixes the problem. She said it could be telogen effluvium from the adderall Or the beginnings of FPHL. Thanks for the help, Doctor! I am thinking about seeing another to get a second opinion or maybe a scalp biopsy. However, I have read that they are not always conclusive. I'm still thinking about it and if it's worth it. I just want to know for sure what the heck is going on!

Treatment:

Shampoo: I just started using nizoral 2% 2x a week. I also just ordered Ultrax Lab Hair surge hair loss shampoo after reading good reviews. It has caffeinated compounds, ketocanazole and saw palmetto to help block DHT. I am also thinking about buying a DHT blocking supplement to help as well.
Anyone have luck with that?

Minoxidil: I just started as of last week rogaine 5% foam once a day. No side effects so far. Some shedding still happening but I hope in a month that will discontinue. I'm really hoping this works! I've read that some have had great results.

I also ordered Irestore hair growth laser. So friggin expensive but I'm pulling out all the stops! Go big or go home!! I will be broke by the end of this journey lol. I get it next week.

I know how frustrating and upsetting all this is. I hope all that I am doing will help in my hair loss journey and make me feel happy again. I promise to update on my journey in three to six months. Pray for me, beautiful friends! I send out my good vibes to you as well!

Please let me know how minoxidil worked for you. If I should use a topical DHT inhibitor with the rogaine. If anyone has stopped adderall and had their hair loss stop or hair growth. If DHT Blocking supplements work. Anyone take anti androgen medication? Side effects? Has anyone had great results with laser hair treatment and iRestore? Also I am not here to promote any products just being honest with what I am doing to help stop the shedding and regrow what I have lost

Thanks

**hugs**

Hello, I'm new to this forum. My hair thinning problem has existed for quite some time, but so far I haven't had a good solution to it. Glad to have found this forum! I started using a laser cap two months and saw no improvements just yet. Hope you have luck with iRestore! I think I will try rogaine again. Used it years ago but quit too soon to see any result. I'm entering menopause so the chance for hair regrowth is actually fairly small, I think.... Good luck to you and please keep us posted of your results!

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! Here is a quick update:

I had my ferritin levels checked and I was at 22. My doctor informed me that it was in the normal range, however, I have read that 70/80 is ideal for hair growth so I have added ferrous fumerate supplement and I take it with vit c. I also added vit D supplement for good measure.

I am 32 days in with minoxidil and I am still using the helmet every other day as instructed. I am currently dealing with the dreaded shed!! It started exactly two weeks in and has been going on for a little over two weeks. I pray that it ends soon! It's so stressful but I'm hoping this is a good sign that it's working and I will have great regrowth! I see a trichologist tomorrow so I will update on what she has to say and hopefully get some reassurance with all the steps I'm taking to address this hair loss situation. One thing I did notice is tiny tiny hairs along my hair line and near my temples where I apply the rogaine. Hope I'm not be crazy! Anyways wish me luck with this terrible shed. My days are up and down at the moment.

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum. My hair thinning problem has existed for quite some time, but so far I haven't had a good solution to it. Glad to have found this forum! I started using a laser cap two months and saw no improvements just yet. Hope you have luck with iRestore! I think I will try rogaine again. Used it years ago but quit too soon to see any result. I'm entering menopause so the chance for hair regrowth is actually fairly small, I think.... Good luck to you and please keep us posted of your results!

Welcome! I will keep you updated. I started rogaine after seeing some people with really great results. I'll let you know in 6 months if I felt it was worth it. Although, I really hope it will be!!!

I did read that we won't see results with the LLLT helmet for at least 4-6 months so keep it up! It might be a load of crap haha but I thought it would be a good adjunct treatment with the rogaine.

Let me j is if you decide to start rogaine and how it goes. I love hearing people's stories!

Hairmess

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: currently 5 1/2 weeks into my treatment. Still having heavy shedding! 150 plus on hair wash days. I really hope by my two month mark in a few weeks it abates and I can start seeing results. Determined to be positive even though it's very difficult with the constant shedding as a reminder! Hair overall feels thinner after starting treatment but that was to be expected. According to my trichologist, you lose before you gain. I just really need this losing part to end like yesterday!! Haha

Anyways, the photo with my glasses is today and the other is from July 14th.

Anyone notice a difference? Apart from overall thinning and a thin spot right on the top front of my hairline my sides are the worst so that's why I used these pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.PNG
    IMG_1544.PNG
    838.1 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,195

Thinkouttabox

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm actually new to this forum and 18 yrs old only!
I guess...mine is AA (androgentic one) and i dont want to live stressfully the rest of my life...i have too great plans for it!
I was thinking....why dont we change the trend?
These docs and researchers have been researching for that onecure for ages...and if still in 2017 they cannit do it!
I believe they wont till we all die waiting to grow hair over our head!
How about thinking sth new? How about cuttiing off all the stresses until they find out the full reciepe to regrow our hair?

I LITERALLY DONT WANNA GO BALD! AND DO A TRANSPLANT TO LOSE HAIR AGAIN!
Update: currently 5 1/2 weeks into my treatment. Still having heavy shedding! 150 plus on hair wash days. I really hope by my two month mark in a few weeks it abates and I can start seeing results. Determined to be positive even though it's very difficult with the constant shedding as a reminder! Hair overall feels thinner after starting treatment but that was to be expected. According to my trichologist, you lose before you gain. I just really need this losing part to end like yesterday!! Haha

Anyways, the photo with my glasses is today and the other is from July 14th.

Anyone notice a difference? Apart from overall thinning and a thin spot right on the top front of my hairline my sides are the worst so that's why I used these pictures.

I WANT A BRIGHTER CHOICE A HAPPIER CHOICE WHICH MAKE US-THE SUFFERERS THE MOST BLESSED ONES!

I was thinking -WHAT ABOUT ARTIFICIAL HAIR GRAFTS OVER OUR SCALP THAT WILL BE PERMANENT?

We can force these compqnies to start competing for this thing...till they get the complete solution....lets live happily girls!

WE DID NO CRIMES TO SUFFER THIS!
WE ARE BEAUTIFUL..AND WE DESERVE TO LIVE WITH A HEAD FULL OF HAIR, BEQUTY AND DREAMS!❤