My Story - Hair Thinning Accross Entire Scalp

Rene1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and wanted to share my story with regards my har loss. It's something that I've been suffering with for about 12 years (aged about 19) which I have never really tried to seek treatment for.

I don't suffer from your typical male pattern baldness, but rather have thinning hair across every inch of my scalp. This includes the sides as well as the back of my head, beneath the crown. I don't believe my hairline itself has really receded at all.

My father has what you what call your more typical male pattern baldness. I never met my mothers fathers however she always said he had a full head of hair which is evident from the photos i saw of him in his 30's. It doesnt seem to me that my hair loss follows a pattern on my mothers or fathers side.

I've always felt that my hair loss might be attributed to stress, however I've suffered with hair loss for so long now that I can't remember which occurred first (kind of like the chicken amd the egg!) In any case, In general I'm an anxious person and my hair loss makes me feel in a constant state of anxiety.

I'm curious whether anyone is suffering a similar type of hair loss whereby its a slow progressive loss of hair across the entire scalp? If anything the hair on the side of my head nearly feels thinner than the hair on top. Is it possible that stress or anxiety could be causing this? I've always thought that hair loss caused by stress would be something more sudden.

On a side note, I also experience an itchy scalp over most of my scalp. I cant recall for how long I've had this but it certainly seems like a few years at least. Hard to tell whether this is down to any specific product though I do find myself scratching at my head alot.

Anyway, thats enough about me however any input into my sceanrio would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't contribute much other than to say that I have the same diffuse thinning all over my scalp too, which started at age 16. Sides and back as well. I also have regular temple recession and vertex balding. Someone here told me it's called "retrograde alopecia," and its mechanisms and progression might be different from regular pattern baldness. Fortunately, I had super thick hair at age 16, and the rate of thinning has slowed (but not stopped), so at nearly age 39 I'm still a Norwood 2.5-3. I've probably lost about 50-60% density all around, and around 80% on my vertex (huge bald spot). Concealers save me.

I was really waiting for Brotzu lotion to help me, since it seemed to help with diffuse thinning. But now that it'll probably come out in 2024, I may start a limited minoxidil trial.

Rene1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't contribute much other than to say that I have the same diffuse thinning all over my scalp too, which started at age 16. Sides and back as well. I also have regular temple recession and vertex balding. Someone here told me it's called "retrograde alopecia," and its mechanisms and progression might be different from regular pattern baldness. Fortunately, I had super thick hair at age 16, and the rate of thinning has slowed (but not stopped), so at nearly age 39 I'm still a Norwood 2.5-3. I've probably lost about 50-60% density all around, and around 80% on my vertex (huge bald spot). Concealers save me.

I was really waiting for Brotzu lotion to help me, since it seemed to help with diffuse thinning. But now that it'll probably come out in 2024, I may start a limited minoxidil trial.

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of trying something like Minoxidil to see if it slows the rate of hair loss and provides some level of regrowth. Does Minoxidil come in a shampoo form? I was also thinking about trying propecia however I'm not too keen based on what I've read about some of the side affects.I might try Minoxidil first and see what the results are like. I'm also curious with Minoxodil whether I should expect any increase in shedding during the initial few months?

I'm also contemplating whether to go to the doctors to get something to treat my anxiety as I'm not sure if that is in any way related to my hair loss.

I can honestly say that my hair is 50 to 60% thinner than when I was 19. I too had really thick hair when I was younger.