My Story- Finasteride side effects almost "killed" me

Anatman

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey there,

I am 28 years old and I've suffered from hair loss since I was 18 years old. At the beginning my hair was getting thinner and thinner, so that I lost 2/3 of my volume just by thinning. At the time I thought it was just because of age as this was happening even to my sisters. There were also problems that I still struggle with to this day: very dry hair, my hair color has completely changed (from copper-colored to a "street mutt" blond to dark blond), I had to struggle with danduff and severe itching.

When I turned 24, it really started. My temples have retreated more and more and the vertex has become damn light/bald. In less than a year from a Norwood 2 to a 4. Since then things have been sluggish, but still progress. Since I was only ever recommended PRP, minoxidil or caffeine shampoo in Germany, I thought it was hopeless and didn't investigate further (a huge mistake).

After discovering this forum a year and a half ago, I dug through the entries and ventured into my current regime. (can be seen :v). Finasteride was also part of this regime. Nevertheless, I had strong side effects at 1mg per day. Dry eyes, increased migraine attacks, apathy, severe depression (I suffer badly from my hair loss, but I'm not a depressed person). So I stopped the treatment. After I read more here, I of course read the tips for a lower dose and started with 0.25. Although the side effects were significantly lower, they were still present. The apathy alone almost cost me my life :D I forgot to close the front door, I sometimes lost sight of entire periods of time (I sometimes didn't know how I got to a party or to the university, not even whether I came on foot or by bus) and recently almost fell in front of the train after I wanted to get on it because I didn't pay any attention to the train and where it was standing . My entire family said that in the 2 months I've been taking Finasteride again, I've been a completely different person. No idea if this was nocebo. After that it got a lot better, even though it was really hard for me. I was actually happy to finally have an alternative to caffeine shampoo/Snake Oil and wasn't worried about side effects before taking finasteride. One of the side effects (I think it's coming from finasteride) is that I got light boobs...Since I'm underweight it shouldn't be from the 1-2 Kg weight gain. Maybe someone of you knows more about this. That's all that's left of Side Effects. Underweight, balding and boobs. I'll tell you, not a good combo :v

With my current regime, I hope to at least delay it. Unfortunately, Min and Microneedling have not helped so far, although I have been using Min every day for exactly a year, micron. every 7 days. Keto was freshly added and I will start this from tomorrow. I'm also considering trying alfatradiol or finding something that might be weaker than finasteride but works similarly to at least delay it a bit (still hope for Kintor as an alternative). Who knows.

I hope this suffices as a brief insight. Of course, I'm available for questions, but I have to admit that I'm not too deep into the subject to be able to answer adequately here. I don't even know if the finasteride side effects really came from finasteride :^). I also hope that my English is sufficient. Unfortunately, I rarely speak/write in English.

I'll add photos over time!

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also had dry eyes from finasteride and many others have it too. But my Body has coped now but took years of anti androgen exposure for my body to handle it.

Anatman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice to see I'm not the only one with side effects. I wanted to stop early just because of the dry eyes, although this was one of the milder side effects. I could have coped with dry eyes, but the apathy really got me. Time with Finasteride was like a film tear, only without the previous fun from alcohol :^)

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice to see I'm not the only one with side effects. I wanted to stop early just because of the dry eyes, although this was one of the milder side effects. I could have coped with dry eyes, but the apathy really got me. Time with Finasteride was like a film tear, only without the previous fun from alcohol :^)
My eyes were as dry as the Sahara desert. Tried smaller dosages 3 and 2 Times a week. Didnt work. It also led to blurry vision and blocked eyelid glands that produce oil everytime you blink. It was like toothpaste hanging down from my eyelids bro. Now years later i can handle dutasteride even and now finasteride and absolutely no eye problems. Because over the years I was taking natural dht blockers. And they also gave me abit dry eyes aswell, and I eventually stopped taking Them because of it. After quitting I waited maybe a year or few months and took dutasteride and no eye issues. I was amazed. Somehow my body has gotten used to anti androgens exposure.

Last edited:

Ajamilo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My eyes were as dry as the Sahara desert. Tried smaller dosages 3 and 2 Times a week. Didnt work. It also led to blurry vision and blocked eyelid glands that produce oil everytime you blink. It was like toothpaste hanging down from my eyelids bro. Now years later i can handle dutasteride even and now finasteride and absolutely no eye problems. Because over the years I was taking natural dht blockers. And they also gave me abit dry eyes aswell, and I eventually stopped taking Them because of it. After quitting I waited maybe a year or few months and took dutasteride and no eye issues. I was amazed. Somehow my body has gotten used to anti androgens exposure.
Damn that is nicee bby :)

Lmao i started last week with topical minoxidil with 1.5 cm dermaroller 2 times a week. Been already using oral minoxidil and finasteride long time now. I dont either now how my body has gotten used to it.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn that is nicee bby :)

Lmao i started last week with topical minoxidil with 1.5 cm dermaroller 2 times a week. Been already using oral minoxidil and finasteride long time now. I dont either now how my body has gotten used to it.
It sure is boi ;)

Adri23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your body eventually get used to side effects if you start with low doses and manage to cope with the side effects. I for example, take bica and get bad heart pain but I lowered the dose and I'm doing fine now. Slowly increasing it not to get side effects or less sides as possible. That's my personal experience tho.