My Story (20 yrs old when it started, 10 yrs later still fighting it)

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So when I was twenty, tried to ignore it and my head started itching like crazy. then people were remarking that I was losing my hair and I looked in the mirror and was traumatized. I still had a lot of hair but I could see it was thinning. I denied it but finally went to a dermatologist who said it was just dermatitis and that my hair would grow back. After using her topical **** and no improvement I went back to another one who flat out told me I'm going bald and gave me a script for finasteride which I never filled. So over the next ten years, it's been a constant struggle, a constant obsession. Always looking in mirrors, ashamed and blushing when people remark. I feel like my whole 20's were consumed with this ****, because my identity was gone. When you look in the mirror and you look different than you always have been, it's traumatizing. And the thoughts that no girl would want me and now I am going to be some bald troll nobody likes...those things weren't true and women still dated me, but it didn't matter because I felt the same no matter what anyone said. During this time I developed a huge addiction to tranquilizers and pain killers. When I was high, I didn't care anymore about what I looked like. I felt the way I was supposed to fee.

Fast forward 10 years, I got sober and someone suggested I try finasteride. When I started I was so happy just because there was a possibility that things could change. My scalp felt better on it. No itching and I think it was starting to grow thick, but I couldn't perform that well when it came to sex. Sometimes, I could, but in the middle of any sexual act I would start to lose interest and couldn't keep it up. That was a whole other brand of shame. Then I started noticing my balls hurt, and one day while jerking off blood came out. I got prostatitis and it ****ing hurt. I finally stopped taking them finasteride and about 5 months later I started to feel normal. I would wake up with raging erections and was on the prowl. But then, the itch started again and even though I had been using rogaine, I knew I was going back to the DHT induced inflammation in my scalp. I went to the dermatologist and told him about my experience with finasteride and the relief of the itch I got but the terrible side effects I also got. He emphasized that 1 mg a day was too much so I started back on finasteride. Only this time .5 mg a day. The ache in my balls came back and the itch went away. I didn't want to lose the hair I still had and my scalp felt so much better, but I felt weaker, tired and I started obsessing about the sexual side effects.

So 2 days ago I went to my general physician who suggest we try Avodart because it has less potential for side effects. I am sooooo afraid of playing with my hormones but also sooooo afraid of going completely bald. I decided to try it just so I could say that I tried everything. So far things seem relatively normal but that fear is always there lingering. Has anybody had a similar experience with finasteride and went on Avodart and got better results or at least not as much side effect?

Battling hair loss has changed my life. My whole personality was shifted when I was confronted with the new appearance of my body. I told myself if I get sides on Avodart I'll stop and just embrace the feeling of going bald and being (in my mind) hideous.