My progress with the big 3!

MVGame

Reaction score
I'm a 22 year old male that started losing hair around 18. It started with some minor temple thinning, but I never thought much about and until about March of last year. I just got done taking a shower and I pulled my hair back and looked at my temples again. They were much worse than I remembered and my overall thickness on the top was thinner. I freaked out and started looking up things I could use to treat this. Found this site, learned about treatments and what are the causes of hair loss in men. I never thought I would lose my hair, don't know of any men in my family that have any hair loss. My grandfather is 86 and has a perfect head of hair. So does my father, cousins and uncles. Don't know too much about my grandmothers side of the family.

Around late June of last year I went to the doctor for my usual checkup, got my bloodwork done and everything was fine there. I also have a dandruff problem so my doctor prescribed 2% Ketoconazole shampoo and have been using it twice a week since then. It wasn't until August that I tried getting a prescription for Finasteride, she said she wasn't comfortable prescribing it since she doesn't know too much about hair loss. She referred me to a dermatologist and it took about 2 months just to see them. Fast forward to October the appointment date is here and I was excited to hopefully get my prescription to Finasteride. I go in and explain how I'm losing my hair and that I want something to treat it. The dermatologist suggests I get on Minoxidil, but didn't want to prescribe me Finasteride because she says it has too many side effects for someone my age.. I left there so upset. I was waiting months to go and get this and I get turned down.

Late October I decided to get on Minoxidil and have been using ever since, I only missed about 4 days of applications since starting and have had some regrowth with it. I apply it all over the top of my scalp and temples twice a day about 12 hours apart. I haven't had any increase in shedding from starting Minoxidil, and in early November I made another appointment with a different dermatologist to try and get a Finasteride prescription. I went early December, saw my new dermatologist and he prescribed me the med. I was happy! I've been on it for about a month now and I've noticed a decrease in shedding of miniaturized hairs. It's still too early to tell how well it's going to work in the long run, but we will see. As for side effects, I haven't had any. Before I started the treatments I was constantly thinking about my hair, always looking in the mirror, but I told myself when I start treatments that I wouldn't worry anymore since I'm doing all that I can and just be patient. I plan on giving monthly updates for the 1st year and 6 month updates from there on. I will gladly answer any questions you may have. Thank you for reading and I hope my story can help others. I apologize for any grammatical mistakes.

My regimen:
- 2% Ketoconazole (6 months) No more dandruff
- Minoxidil (2 months) Growth in the temple and hairline region
- Finasteride (1 month) Less shedding

Here are some pictures of me before starting and now - IMG_20141025_222213.jpgIMG_20141025_222303.jpgIMG_20141025_222321.jpg

IMG_20150107_094759.jpgIMG_20150107_094833.jpgIMG_20150107_094819.jpgIMG_20150107_094840.jpg After.

dam

Reaction score
very nice you must be very happy it looks like improvement to me, thanks for sharing i would love to see your results in another couple of months thanks for sharing.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Keep it up, those look to be minoxidil induced hairs. Hopefully finasteride will give an even better boost

MVGame

Reaction score
A bit of an early update to show how things are going. I've been on finasteride for 6 weeks now and I'm happy to say still no negative side effects. I have shed a bit from the Minoxidil, but that's to be expected.IMG_20150117_224845.jpgOverheadIMG_20150117_225216.jpgRight templeIMG_20150117_230841.jpgLeft Temple

MVGame

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm doing my monthly update a few days early. Everything is still going well. I did start exercising regularly and washing my hair every day to keep it clean from the sweat. Sorry about the flakes in my hair, I think it's from the Minoxidil.

IMG_20150203_164337.jpg Top view

IMG_20150203_164408.jpg Left temple (sorry for the different angle, I didn't notice till now how it came out)

IMG_20150203_164423.jpg Right temple

Billygekko

Reaction score
Can definitely see improvements.
i just swallowed my first finasteride pill today, I feel so much better already since I'm finally taking action.
Keep us updated with your progress

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
I actually grew a lot of hair back on my temple at 20, when I started losing it. And believe it or not, I only used 2% minoxidil (prescription only back then, yes I'm dating myself). It WORKED! Unfortunately I couldn't afford it for a few years, and started again at 26. Now I use a concentrated dose which is slowly growing some back (I have 4 cm receding/almost two inches). It won't all grow back, and I can live with that. But after one month on high (30% min, .05% finasteride), I'm seeing some terminal hairs around where the temple meets my hair. Not much, but I don't expect all of it to grow back. Starting early is the KEY.

Where did you get 30% min?

hindmarsh89

Reaction score
You caught it early so will probably see some good results in the next year at the very least you'll maintain what you have for years to come.

da_vinci

Reaction score
Have you noticed any side effects of finasteride?? I am willing to start it but afraid of side effects ... also proscar is not available in India ...fincar and finara are available ...i would really appreciate if you can throw some light on this

MVGame

Reaction score
Hello everyone, time for that monthly update.

1mg finasteride: 3 Months
Minoxidil: 5 Months
2% ketoconazole: 8 Months

Things are still going well, I don't lose much of any hair anymore, and the hair quality is much better these days.
I'm going to include a before and after of my crown.

IMG_20141025_223002.jpg Before Treatment.

IMG_20150304_234926.jpg Just now after showering.

IMG_20150304_234814.jpg Front View.

BiqqieSmalls

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same position as you man. Nice going. I will be starting a success thread this summer with my 4 month treatment timeline. Hopefully, it looks similar to yours.

MVGame

Reaction score

MVGame

Reaction score
Howdy, It's time for the monthly update. Things are still going well, I must admit I was a bit lazy with the Minoxidil applications this month, but nothing too bad. I managed to get the white residue from the Minoxidil under control.

1mg finasteride: 4 Months
Minoxidil: 6 Months
2% ketoconazole: 9 Months

IMG_20150407_003022.jpgIMG_20150407_003026.jpgIMG_20150407_003029.jpgIMG_20150407_003034.jpg

MVGame

Reaction score
that's awesome, I'm glad your responding well to your regiment. how have the sides been?

So far my side effects have been pretty mild, I had some shedding at the start of treatment and had watery sperm for about a month, but that's back to normal now.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
MVGame, your hair looks great! NW1 now?

Question about minoxidil. How do you apply it with your long hair?

MVGame

Reaction score
Hello, sorry about the late response.

I'm not sure if I'm quite there yet. I use the dropper that comes with the Minoxidil to get it on my scalp. Then I rub it in.

Here's a pic from today.

IMG_20150423_125715.jpg

MVGame, your hair looks great! NW1 now?

Question about minoxidil. How do you apply it with your long hair?