My Partner Drifting Away Because Of Hair Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenchcast

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My boyfriend has been experiencing hair loss for three months now, and I feel like he's slowly drifting away from me because of the sadness he's feeling from his condition. I don't know how I'll console him. Any tips on how I can help him cope up with the hair loss?

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Observe.
You should carefully pay attention on how is he reacting to the baldness.
Don't bring the topic of "Hairloss" in between you for few duration.
Check on his Internet viewing habbits.
Check whether he is influenced by negative people who try to say "Hairloss" is end,"my life is destroyed because of hairloss" thing.
Many people have habbit of taking other's problem personally complicating their own life for no big reason.

And then most important:

Listen to his complaint without teaching him on how to deal with it.
Find out his complaints while facing hairloss.
and then help him on how to face this.
Hair Transplant can help.

To successfully deal with Hairloss can take years/decades,so don't hurry to find a solution within small frame of time.

For fun purpose,ask him to shave for small Photo session and find out how is he able to handle this thing.Next summer might be the best time for this.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ask him what is bothering him. Assure him you won't judge him or anything. When he admits it is his hair, assure him he is still attractive and that you will still love him if he goes all the way bald. If a girl went out of her way to calm my anxiety like that I would be greatful!

Panda89

My Regimen
Reaction score
speaking from someone that broke off a 3 year relationship (partly) because of hair loss: there isn't much you could do. it's about his self image when he is going through a significant change in appearance. if he is pushing you away it is because his confidence has never been lower and he is protecting himself from someone that has the potential to hurt him the most during this period.

back then i would probably shut off completely if my gf brought up hair loss (which she didn't at all) or ever so often glanced at my hair. i would purposely make sure i faced her all the time so i didn't have to picture her worried face when she secretly checked out my crown. looking back it was very silly.

what i wish to happen now that i've come out of that tunnel (4 years later!) is for my gf to talk to me about my obviously recently change in attitude toward the relationship. approach with a caring, loving attitude instead of a worried and sad one. he probably will shut off like i did.. even if he did bring up hair loss he would probably brush the topic off quickly so you two don't have to keep talking about it.

if i were you i would probably want to find out whether he knew there are options for treatment. i imagine someone that is shutting themselves down due to depression is probably not doing much to help themselves either. slowly work your way in to let him feel like you are on his team to tackle this condition together, and the hair loss itself is not something you are concerned about rather his well being and happiness. knowing that there is treatment and following it helped me tremendously i can't even put it into words. if he isn't doing treatment you should carefully relay that information to him without hurting his feelings of course.

when my hair began to severely diffuse, i just thought it was easier to deal with it alone. shutting myself off created a rift between me and my ex and then it snowballed. don't let it snowball. be there for whatever he is going through. it may not even be hair loss

jasonstatham

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My boyfriend has been experiencing hair loss for three months now, and I feel like he's slowly drifting away from me because of the sadness he's feeling from his condition. I don't know how I'll console him. Any tips on how I can help him cope up with the hair loss?

You already do enough. I give you an example what not to do: My (ex)girfriend freaked out when she saw a big bald spott on my crown after I went to get a haircut. I quote: "what the f*** is that?". Oh and her mother thought Im looking like her friend from behind (her friend was over 50...I was 25 at that time).

Help him to support in whatever way he wants to go with hairloss. Just dont let him do a SMP. You both will regret it.

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You already do enough. I give you an example what not to do: My (ex)girfriend freaked out when she saw a big bald spott on my crown after I went to get a haircut. I quote: "what the f*** is that?". Oh and her mother thought Im looking like her friend from behind (her friend was over 50...I was 25 at that time).

Help him to support in whatever way he wants to go with hairloss. Just dont let him do a SMP. You both will regret it.
holy f***, dude. thats brutal

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this were Pokemon Snap I would get a million points for spotting a unicorn

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dude your lucky that ship has sailed. Your life would of been hell.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
for his birthday, buy him finasteride tablets and minoxidil lotion. it will really make him feel better.

wrenchcast

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for sharing your stories. It opened my mind even more on how to deal with the hair loss condition. I know that he has to deal with his own [REMOVED SPAM LINK] self-image and there's really nothing much I can do besides being there for him. It just upsets me that he has to go through what he's going through right now. I'm here to support him but if he chooses to push me away, then maybe I should just give what he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
For those wondering why this user was banned: they were trying to insert spam links in their messages through this and other “identities”.
There is no “balding partner...”

Status
Not open for further replies.