My Particular Anti-Depressant and its Side Effects

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've been treated for depression since I was 17, and I was treated for ADHD/ADD for years before that.

Anyway,
of all the medications I've tried, the only one that has TRULY worked for me was Remeron 15mg, which I am actually using for Anxiety, not so much depression.

But the two major side effects of this medication are increased appetite and weight gain...

Well, since starting it 8 months ago, I've gained about 50lbs.

I'm a little over 200, but I should really be at 155/160, which was my starting weight.

The girl I'm currently seeing DEMANDS that I forget trying to lose any weight... In fact, I think she kind of likes the slightly-chubby me.

Do you guys have any opinions?

The anxiety is killing me, and without the medicine, I'm a basketcase.

G

Aplunk,

I was on Remeron(night) and Celexa)day) for a couple of years in high school. They helped with it a little bit I think, but they did give me a huge appetite and I gained 25 pounds in that time. I went off the drug and lost most of the weight.

I took the Remeron at night because it made me sleepy. Does it make you sleepy? Then again, I don't know what effect dose has on sleepiness or weight gain. I was taking 3x as much as you were. I was prescribed 45 mg a day of Remeron and I think I was taking 40 mg of Celexa a day, so I was pretty drugged up.

Also, do you think these two drugs have any negative effect on hair?

I don't really know what question you are asking though. If feeling happy is more important to you than your body, then stay on them. Another question though is if your larger body will contribute to depression in the future. It will get harder to lose that weight as you get older.

Also, how tall are you?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks Jayman,

I take my Remeron at night because it makes me drowsy. I've never heard of Celexa, though.

But I guess my real question is what I should do about all this...

I mean, do you think that it's best to drop these meds?

Is there something that I can take instead of Remeron for anxiety?

Do you have any experience with Xanax? I've taken Xanax, but only a few times, and @ parties with alcohol.

I'm 5'11-- I don't think that Remeron has had ANY effect on my hair. In fact, Remeron has reduced my stress levels so much that's it's probably had a POSITIVE effect on my hair.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the xanax. Unless you want to battle addiction for the rest of your life. This stuff is as addictive as heroin.

I say you should lose the weight. Read something from a dr's journal that said antidepressants have a tendency to make you snack on carbs more. That could be the reason for the weight increase.

Try getting on a lower dose of the medicine. I wouldn't get off of it, especially if it's helping you

bubka

Reaction score
i actually take Adderal for my anxiety / add / depression, of course people also take that to lose weight... i don't know if you have tried that one, though i take it "as needed"

i would just suggest adding some vigorous exercise 3-5 days a week for a goo 45 minutes, it will help you lose weight, make you feel better, plus you will not want to eat crap because of all that hard work and exercise to go to waste

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stabber said:
Stay away from the xanax. Unless you want to battle addiction for the rest of your life. This stuff is as addictive as heroin.

I say you should lose the weight. Read something from a dr's journal that said antidepressants have a tendency to make you snack on carbs more. That could be the reason for the weight increase.

Try getting on a lower dose of the medicine. I wouldn't get off of it, especially if it's helping you
lol wtf are you talking about. most people take xanax when necessary. people dont become addicts from using a prescribed medication in the proper manner dont scare the kid.

G

Aplunk1 said:
I mean, do you think that it's best to drop these meds?

That's a decision you have to make on your own. I'm not a Doctor and I don't know your personal situation, but even if I did, you'd still really have to make the decision for yourself, because you're an adult.

You have to weigh the benefits against the costs. Benefit=less anxious, cost=heavier, for example. Make a list of both and maybe it will help you decide.

Is there something that I can take instead of Remeron for anxiety?

Isn't Paxil an anti-anxiety drug? You may want to look into that with your Doctor. I know very little about it.

Do you have any experience with Xanax? I've taken Xanax, but only a few times, and @ parties with alcohol.

None.

I'm 5'11-- I don't think that Remeron has had ANY effect on my hair. In fact, Remeron has reduced my stress levels so much that's it's probably had a POSITIVE effect on my hair.

That's good. I went off the drugs a few years ago but all I remember is the Remeron knocking me out within 30 minutes of me taking it, even if I wasn't tired before.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

G

Hmm, that´s a tough decision. As Jayman said in the end it is up to you but I think I would try to get on other drugs so that you lose some weight again. You might also think about possibilities to reduce your weight:

Do you go to the gym? Did you ever think about changing your eating habits? For instance you might eat a lot of fruits instead of Junk Food. Like that you won´t feel hungry but will also lose weight. Good Luck on whatever you decide!

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
JayB said:
Stabber said:

lol wtf are you talking about. most people take xanax when necessary. people dont become addicts from using a prescribed medication in the proper manner dont scare the kid.
Yea, no one becomes an addict off of prescribed medication. :roll:

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stabber said:
JayB said:
Stabber said:

not when used properly as directed under the care of a physician/psychiatrist. I would say far more people get addicted mishandling it or messing with the dosage.

And you are speaking from ignorance regarding xanax. I have been prescribed this stuff for 2 years now and i used to take it when i needed it and only when i needed it. I now have had 2 prescriptions expire on me because i dont need it nor take it anymore.

ur giving the creator of this thread medical advice as if your a doctor and unknowingly could actually be harming him by scaring him into thinking if he pops a xanax to get his anxiety under control hes going to turn magically overnight into an addict.
Thats just not how addiction works. And if he doesnt have an addictive personality in regards to drugs or anything in general, he wont get addicted regardless. Dont dispense erronious information when he might be helped greatly to get off Anti depressants and just take a xanax when his anxiety is bad. "as addictive as heroin" you dont know what the hell your talking about. 75 percent of the adult population takes a xanax when necessary, im sure their all zombi-fied addicts who dont hold down top jobs and families. Striking resemblance to heroin addicts let me tell ya.

G

JayB said:
75 percent of the adult population takes a xanax when necessary, im sure their all zombi-fied addicts who dont hold down top jobs and families. Striking resemblance to heroin addicts let me tell ya.

75%? No way. Alprazolam(Xanax) is a Schedule IV controlled substance, and only available by prescription. If you think that 75% of the adult population takes it "when necessary", you're crazy.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
JayB said:
75 percent of the adult population takes a xanax when necessary, im sure their all zombi-fied addicts who dont hold down top jobs and families. Striking resemblance to heroin addicts let me tell ya.

75%? No way. Alprazolam(Xanax) is a Schedule IV controlled substance, and only available by prescription. If you think that 75% of the adult population takes it "when necessary", you're crazy.
i threw the number out there, but i guarantee more people than you think take the drug. a very high percentage of people who are sucessful work in high pressure and stressful environments. i know of MANY who take xanax when they need to calm down

G

JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:

i threw the number out there, but i guarantee more people than you think take the drug. a very high percentage of people who are sucessful work in high pressure and stressful environments. i know of MANY who take xanax when they need to calm down

uh huh, and where do they get it? I bet the percentage of Americans who have ever had a legal right to take it(a prescription) is less than 10%. Buying or getting pills from a friend should not be included in the numbers because it is federally illegal.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
JayB said:
Stabber said:
JayB said:
Stabber said:

not when used properly as directed under the care of a physician/psychiatrist. I would say far more people get addicted mishandling it or messing with the dosage.

And you are speaking from ignorance regarding xanax. I have been prescribed this stuff for 2 years now and i used to take it when i needed it and only when i needed it. I now have had 2 prescriptions expire on me because i dont need it nor take it anymore.

ur giving the creator of this thread medical advice as if your a doctor and unknowingly could actually be harming him by scaring him into thinking if he pops a xanax to get his anxiety under control hes going to turn magically overnight into an addict.
Thats just not how addiction works. And if he doesnt have an addictive personality in regards to drugs or anything in general, he wont get addicted regardless. Dont dispense erronious information when he might be helped greatly to get off Anti depressants and just take a xanax when his anxiety is bad. "as addictive as heroin" you dont know what the hell your talking about. 75 percent of the adult population takes a xanax when necessary, im sure their all zombi-fied addicts who dont hold down top jobs and families. Striking resemblance to heroin addicts let me tell ya.

Geez, if I knew you were going to have a hissy fit like a little b1tch, I would have just PM'd the original poster. Sounds like you're overly sensitive, too much xanax or not enough? :lol:

So the kettle says to the pot :lol:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You're fcking stupid, askas.

Most of the messages you have, toward me, are meant to degrade my character.

What qualifies you to make these judgments?

I'm asking for REAL opinions, not some ignorant, foreigner to assist me.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:

uh huh, and where do they get it? I bet the percentage of Americans who have ever had a legal right to take it(a prescription) is less than 10%. Buying or getting pills from a friend should not be included in the numbers because it is federally illegal.
what the f*** are you talking about? Who said anything about buying illegal drugs? Im a friggin premed student i dont deal with losers and drug addicts. In fact, im talking about men who hold down jobs on wall street and who are my friends parents. Im sure they get drugs from "friends" at 50 years old. Dont put words into my mouth

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stabber said:
JayB said:
Stabber said:
JayB said:
Stabber said:

Geez, if I knew you were going to have a hissy fit like a little b1tch, I would have just PM'd the original poster. Sounds like you're overly sensitive, too much xanax or not enough? :lol:

no i just think you sound like a tool telling someone to never try xanax because its like heroin. It just shows your a moron, and it shows you yourself have never tried xanax, but your shelling out first hand information as though you have. If youre going to dish out advice, at least have some experience on the subject matter at hand. Thats all im saying. And as a future doctor who also happens to have a best friend whose a pharmacist, your comments are quite frankly, annoying.

Your comments are like the guy who asks whats better a blowjob or sex and the resident virgin yelling out "sex rules". Yea thanks for the update don juan.

G

JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:

what the f*** are you talking about? Who said anything about buying illegal drugs? Im a friggin premed student i dont deal with losers and drug addicts. In fact, im talking about men who hold down jobs on wall street and who are my friends parents. Im sure they get drugs from "friends" at 50 years old. Dont put words into my mouth

it is illegal to take xanax without a prescription

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:
JayMan said:
[quote="JayB":aab9c]75 percent of the adult population takes a xanax when necessary, im sure their all zombi-fied addicts who dont hold down top jobs and families. Striking resemblance to heroin addicts let me tell ya.

it is illegal to take xanax without a prescription[/quote:aab9c]

Don't argue with him Jayman, JayB is a "friggin premed student". He's automatically smarter than everyone here and has more experience. I'm impressed, aren't you? :lol:

docj077

Reaction score
JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:
JayMan said:
JayB said:

After reading that bolded sentence, I think that you either need to reconsider the route you're taking professionally or reconsider your mentality with regards to the health of others.

I'd be ashamed to even consider saying such a statement as they are people, as well.

Being in the medical profession does not give you a greater sense of prestige over others and it does not give you the right to be judgemental and self-righteous. It gives you the right to be humble and compassionate...that's it.

But, since you're still pre-med, you probably don't understand that, yet. Pre-med is a joke, my friend, when compared to medical school. If you don't humble yourself now, then you will surely be humbled then.