My Nizoral experiment

Epiphany

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My story so far... I am 25. At 21 I noticed my hairline was receding and looking very thin (my hair is naturally thin as it is). Finally started using finasteride at 23. Maintained at the very least for 2.5 years at which point I have stopped using it. In the past 6 months I started using Nizoral 2% 3 times a week, cut my hair short, and noticed the hairline was looking much thicker and hair was looking generally healthier than when I was 21.

So, here I am, and I have decided not to buy more finasteride and just continue with nizoral. People may call me crazy for possibly dumping something that could have been working for me, but I'm willing to take this risk. I really want to see if nizoral is what is making my hair look better and if stopping finasteride will really make any difference. It's only the hairline that I'm concerned about, so finasteride may not even be doing anything for me. Plus, I don't feel comfortable with a) the cost of finasteride over a lifetime and b) the effect it could be having on my body over the long term.

Like I said, it's only in recent months that I've started using nizoral properly and in that same time frame I have noticed my hair looking the best it has since I was 21.

I will keep you posted on my progress. My regimen from now on is simply 2% nizoral every other day and a regular thickening shampoo on non-nizoral days.

I'll post back this time next month.

kenben123

Reaction score
Once I decided to get on finasteride, I understood this would be a medication for life. I would not discontinue your finasteride as you might experience "catch up" hair loss. All your progress could be lost. If finasteride and nizoral have been working why in the world would you quit a program that was working. Good luck, I hope you keep the hair that finasteride has grown/maintained, but I doubt it.

Epiphany

Reaction score
kenben123 said:
Once I decided to get on finasteride, I understood this would be a medication for life. I would not discontinue your finasteride as you might experience "catch up" hair loss. All your progress could be lost. If finasteride and nizoral have been working why in the world would you quit a program that was working. Good luck, I hope you keep the hair that finasteride has grown/maintained, but I doubt it.

Like I said, one of the key reasons is cost. I am going self employed full time in Feb and need all the money I can get as the first year will be tight.

Secondly, I have seen the most dramatic improvement since I started using Nizoral regularly.

Thirdly, studies such as http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/03/2-nizoral-shampoo-increases-hair-growth.html and http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/03/2-nizoral-shampoo-increases-hair-growth_12.html did not involve finasteride or any other medication and show very positive results.

I think Nizoral 2% is more powerful than people give it credit for.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral 2% is more expensive than finasteride. Generic finasteride is roughly $5 a month if you buy it at a place like costco.

Epiphany

Reaction score
How much are you getting your 2% nizoral for? I live in UK where I think it's a lot cheaper. The price difference is minimal, but if I have to choose one, I would rather stick with a topical that has shown more improvement in past 3 months than a pill that has in past 2.5 years.

Plus, weighing up all pros and cons, I can't deny I am concerned about long term effects of something that alters your hormones and body chemistry.

If I notice my hairloss increasing, I will consider returning to finasteride, but I may not even need it. After all, I can't prove finasteride maintained my hair all this time, but there is only one way to find out...

Epiphany

Reaction score
Month 2

Still going strong with Nizoral every other day. Hair definitely looks the thickest it's ever been.

Of course, there's still time for it to all fall out from coming off finasteride just over a month ago...

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
Epiphany said:
Month 2

Still going strong with Nizoral every other day. Hair definitely looks the thickest it's ever been.

Of course, there's still time for it to all fall out from coming off finasteride just over a month ago...
Good post, Also started using nizoral 2% EOD, I hope to have improvements also

Hair'sMyProblem

Reaction score
I plan on watching this thread as I too have been planning on starting Nizoral soon. So good luck to you Epiphany, and please keep us posted with consistent updates to your progress :)

guitar66

Reaction score
plan on watching this as well...

I've been using nizoral for a few weeks now, 2 or 3 times a week. My scalp feels great, and It helped big time with my dandruff. Immediatly after use my hair looks great, however, I seemed to be going through a bigger shed.

has anyone noticed a shed from using nizoral? And if so, did it thicken afterwards?

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
well ladies and gentlemen, i've been using nizoral 2% everday and revita following, 5 mins each about. I'm also on spectral DNC.

No finasteride as it gave me lower libido :thumbdown2:

So far so good! In 6 months if my hair looks the same: HAPPY DAYS =D

Epiphany

Reaction score
Update: Arrrgh! My hair is fucked!!

Only joking. Still going strong. By the way, if you're using nizoral every other day, make sure you invest in some good thickening shampoo for the off days. I've been experimenting with a few and found Tigi Bed Head Charge Up to be the best.

Oh and nice work Fender89, keep at it man :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
That's ok yeah, but remember there's nothing wrong with using both so if you find any problems with maintaining your hair with just nizoral then you can always throw Finasteride back in :)

Good luck duuuude! :)

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
Not to sound like a negative nancy. But you are going to really regret dropping finasteride. Nizoral has a wonderful cosmetic effect for most people, myself included. I love how much thicker and healthier it makes my hair look. However, it is a smoke screen, Nizoral is not strong enough to save your hair alone. Trust me, I applied 2% topical cream Keto for about a year twice daily, on top of the shampoo. Didn't work.

So just putting a fair "warning" out there as I hate to see people do something I believe will disappoint them.

Good luck though!

Epiphany

Reaction score
t0rr3nts said:
It says Ketoconazole 20mg/g on the bottle so I'm assuming it's 2%?

Where do you guys buy yours from? (UK)

I get mine online. Prices vary each time I come to order it, and there are many online pharmacies selling it. Nizoral is a brand name, so make sure it's specifically Nizoral you're buying - that's the 2% ket.

Update - maintaining well. No repercussions coming off finasteride that I can tell.

Not sure what else to say really. It seems like finasteride was a waste of money all these years for me personally. I'm still waiting for some more studies to be done on the effects of Ket on hairloss, but remain positive as the existing studies seemed to show increase in hair count.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Incidentally, chucking some more topicals in would probably sweeten the deal. Dr Lee's spironolactone and Spectral DNC/RS? Or if you don't like the minoxidil-like treatments, then maybe a natural stimulator like a herbal mix (you can get these online) or something like Revivogen.

Just a thought, I mean if you ever wanted to give the nizoral an additional topical kick! hehe :)

JWM

Reaction score
So it's been 5 months now without finasteride and hair is still doing well?